"The Reunion" Hobby Boss T34/85 1/48 scale-Finished

bull-nut

Otherwise known as "Old soldiers never die" I will be using the model from my build thread Here. Along with some figures from ICM and Prieser. The plan is to replicate the interior of a modern day fictional tank museum, with the ICM mechanics pondering over the old girl, access hatches open, and a veteran looking on, which is where the Prieser figure comes in. This will give me a way to show off at least some of the interior, while keeping to the more emotional but at the same time, peaceful, aspect of vignette building which I enjoy.

So to begin with, here are the mechanics I spoke off, Assembled and primed with Citadel Macragge Blue rattle can.

20160718_133955.jpg

More to follow later.

Edited by bull-nut
  • Like 2

Hi bull-nut and welcome to the Vignette GB. I really like the sound of your idea - it sounds like it will be very evocative. I was following your tank build earlier this year and was wondering what had happened next.

Looking forward to seeing this project in progress. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks for the welcome 'Stix.

The plan has changed somewhat for this build. I was in the garage looking for my usual bases (25mm insulation foam), but couldn't find them. Instead I found an old sheet of 2mm plasticard I'd forgotten about, so10 minutes with knife and glue, and after drying a quick blast with some black rattlecan primer, and I had this

20160718_152739.jpg

Unfortunately, I also couldn't find my pouring plaster, which is where the plan change came in. I dug out my bag of instant Papier-mâché, and mixed it with some burnt umber acrylic paint to precolour it. In case the top surface gets damaged, the material will be the same colour right through.

20160718_153402.jpg

I find it best to use disposable utensils when using this stuff, luckily I don't need to use it that often because my vignette/dio build rate is so slow ;)

Anyway, I spooned it into the centre cavity of the base, roughly levelled it, and then impressed the T34 tracks, suitably dampened with tap water, into the material, just dipping the tracks into a shallow bowl of water is enough, they come away clean enough this way, I find. This will show the tank sinking into the earth over time, and gave me this

20160718_154547.jpg

This is going to take some time to dry, the material is about 6mm thick in places, but luckily it will dry a lot lighter than it looks now, so it's easy to tell when it is ready to work on. In the mean time I have the tank and figures to get ready, and my Ju88 GB entry to finish.

• Like 1

Thanks 'Stix. I like working with this stuff for natural groundwork because, in addition to the texture, the working time is much longer than plaster, but it weighs far less than plaster or clay, and it's cheap to boot :)

On a slightly related note, I found one of my small foam bases I had precut. It measures about 6x4 inches and I was thinking about putting another build in, featuring the Tamiya Pz38(t) if I get time, do you have any objections to using the same thread, or should I start a new one when the time comes?

I don't think there's any problem with having two tank vignettes in the same thread - especially if it makes life easier. The Tamiya Pz38(t) is a lovely kit.

• 5 weeks later...

Work continues, albeit at a much slower pace than I would like, I blame a family holiday. On the other hand I got to go to Bovington twice while we were away, and see the Sealed Knot in action, so it wasn't a complete loss.

I ended up picking up a new box of lightweight hydrocal, since after drying, the groundwork shrank more than I expected. It also didn't lighten as much as I am used to, likely because I used the paint as the sole source of moisture, rather than just a colouring agent. So I made a couple of molds from my sons Lego, and poured some oblongs. These will make a plinth for the T34, and a pedestrian walkway.

20160814_215310.jpg

After drying overnight, I had this:

20160817_155140.jpg

I then cut out the groundwork to sink the casts into:

20160817_155155.jpg

I need to sand, trim and colour the Path and Plinth, I'll get to that later this week. In the mean time, I've painted the mechanics, using citadel acrylics. Any similarity to real world museum uniforms is entirely coincidental.

Front:

20160818_121016.jpg

and Back:

20160818_121200.jpg

Still need to get the eyes, and so on. By the way, the coverall colour variation in deliberate.

Edited by bull-nut
  • Like 1

Good evening bull-nut and welcome back. I'm pleased to see there's been some progress with your project. I do like the Lego molds - great idea. The figures are looking great too! Lovely stuff! :thumbsup:

Plinth and path have been sanded, trimmed and stained, and the veteran washed with my "talent in a bottle" (Citadel Agrax Earthshade), pics tomorrow. Next step is the groundwork foliage, and a visual backstop.

Edit: 2023hrs. Basic ground covering down. Low scrub next.

Edited by bull-nut
  • Like 2

So trying to juggle three builds simultaneously is really not a good idea, still, here is the figure I'm using for the veteran as he comes.

20160824_193921.jpg

1/50 prepaint from Preiser. and after a quick once over with Agrax Earthshade, he looks like this

20160825_203305.jpg

A little bit nicer, I think you'll agree. Next, I soaked the plaster castings with water, and painted them with a thin wash of tan-grey acrylic, soaking the plaster first stops it soaking the moisture out of the wash as soon as it touches, thanks to The Terrain Tutor, on YouTube, for that little tip.

20160825_203240.jpg

They are just sitting in the cutouts there, so they can be removed for the ground covering, which gives me

20160826_194410.jpg

So after this I dropped the castings into place, fixing them down with indoor grab adhesive to ensure a good grip. I put the Veteran and one mechanic into place with a drop of PVA on each foot, and sealed the ground covering by flooding with tap water, applied with a dropper, and dripping on a 1:1 water-PVA mix. It's still wet as of the taking of this photo, since I've been busy with the Blitz GB, but it'll be dry by the morning.

IMGP0001.jpg

And with the T34 in place, it looks like this

IMGP0003.jpg

Still need to add some greasy rags, toolbox and tools, and some more flora, but I have a question for you all. I am toying with adding an older grand-daughter, but SWMBO thinks it'll be better without, so I present another 2 shots. The differences are obvious, and I'd appreciate your opinions.

IMGP0005.jpg

IMGP0006.jpg

Which way should I go?

Edited by bull-nut
  • Like 3

I really do like your idea and it's looking great too! :thumbsup:

I'm with the others - granddaughter yes, picket fence no. The fence doesn't add anything to the scene.

Kind regards,

Stix

• 2 weeks later...

Great idea for a vignette and well executed.

Your choice of course but I agree with all above, granddaughter yes but the fence just looks out of place; as John mentions it looks more American.

• Like 1

Well, the verdict seems unanimous, so no fence. I think it still needs a visual break between the two groups of subjects, maybe a rope barrier instead, or a single low railing with a data plate attached? I'll give it some thought while I try and knock together a tree for the background.

Thanks all.

Still no pics at the moment, I'm not up to fighting with PB at this time of the morning :(

I decided on a low, single span wooden rail to separate the subjects, made from matchsticks and a coffee stirrer from a box of 1000 I picked up on ebay for not very much cash (I think I paid £7 including shipping!). It still needs some colour, but I'll get to that this weekend. Also a nice big tree has been sourced from Woodland Scenics (about 7 inches/175mm) to finish off the back. Now I just need to have a stab at the ITA etch set of toolboxes I have, first time using etch for me, wish me luck!

Edited by bull-nut

PICS!

They were taken quickly with my phone, so I apologise for the quality.

20160918_153827.jpg

20160918_153848.jpg

20160918_153900.jpg

I still need to add a data plate for the tank, along with a title board, both are ready for printing, just need some ink now :(

The rags are just small squares of paper towel, soaked in dilute PVA, then painted with Citadel Averland Sunset, and stained down with black and brown washes. Toolbox and tools by Inside the Armour as I said above, I think I need some more practice with PE.  I also added some olive and black washes to the concrete areas to show some algae staining. though I've just noticed some gaps under the tree base that I need to hide with some low cover, more Ivy maybe. I may add some bird droppings to the front right tinwork/glacis, I'll give it some thought.

Edited by bull-nut
  • Like 6

Very impressive progress. I think you have really captured the atmosphere of the scene. Very nicely done.

With regards the base of the tree you could get some more of the bushes closer in around it to disguise the bottom joint.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks 'Stix, I'll get to that later, in the mean time, since I haven't had a chance to refill the printer ink yet, I've made a start on a base for my Tamiya Humber Mk4. I cut a rough rectangle from a sheet of 25mm insulation foam, and carved away most of the top to give me a lower surface, thus:

20160925_153958.jpg

Then, as an experiment, I applied two layers of brown acrylic paintable sealant, the first roughly levelled the surface, the second added some rough plough furrows, giving me this:

20160925_154708.jpg

Its drying at the moment, then I'll measure it and trim if needed. Anyone want to try and guess where I'm going with this?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...