Canopy seam sanded with mr lapos(?) polishing cloth 2400/4000/6000/8000 then washed and dried. Then aquagloss poured over outside only and left to dry in a tupperware box. Turned out ok I reckon.

Done two so far for planes 2 & 4. Had gauzy glass coat dip arrive so will do some of the other planes canopies in that too, especially for closed canopies to make it easier to see inside hopefully.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

Well, call me crazy but I've just took delivery of a tamiya 1/72 f-16.

For this part and to use my newly found casting skills to upgrade my fleet of GE engined tomcats.

Plus there is an eduard brassin one available too, but from the pics that doesn't seem to have the undercut area thats between petals and needs to be darker than the metal bits, but the insides of the resin exhaust tube will be worth it though will all the ribs etc.

The tamiya one on the left as you can see has these details (which facilitates easier painting) and is alot finer.

Will be a butt join when copied in resin, but thinking of adding tabs to this when i make it a master so it will locate better onto the hobbyboss shrouds. 👍🏻👍🏻

image.jpg

Edited by Tony Oliver
  • Like 3

While I agree the Tamiya exhaust is finer, the real Ge-110 exhausts don't have a physical undercut on the petals, it is more subtle. But I can see how it will be easier for painting.

f-14d_002_of_103.jpg

• Like 2

Thats a gleaming picture cheers parabat 👍🏻

Edit - What actually are the darker areas on the petals? A different material or is it just the scuffed metal from where they overlap when the nozzle closes down? Although looks to uniform in surface/colour for the latter...

Edited by Tony Oliver

Thats a gleaming picture cheers parabat

Edit - What actually are the darker areas on the petals? A different material or is it just the scuffed metal from where they overlap when the nozzle closes down? Although looks to uniform in surface/colour for the latter...

It's a dark metallic colour! Seriously, I have agonized over GE-110 petals for so many builds now... I tend to use a mix of silver, gunmetal and gold for the petals, and then either a dark metakllic grey or black for the darker petal overlap area. In 1/72 I think a dark gunmetal/metallic black would be fine. It's a bit like anything - no two photos of the GE-110's seem to be the same.

Yeah I'm happy with the colour, just wondering why its like that, as previous question meant is it structurally part of the petal so darker area is scuffed metal, or made out of something different (carbon?) and then bonded together as demarcation looks to perfect for it to be scuffing say?

Edited by Tony Oliver

Yeah I'm happy with the colour, just wondering why its like that, as previous question meant is it structurally part of the petal so darker area is scuffed metal, or made out of something different (carbon?) and then bonded together as demarcation looks to perfect for it to be scuffing say?

Ha ha, it's probably just from use, as the petals fold or close up when under power and relax open when shut down or are open for afterburner.

Fun F-14 Fact - the GE-110's were powerful enough to launch the Tomcat without afterburner. Check out pics of a B or D Tomcat launching...

because-the-ge-f-110-had-the-same-thrust

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some cockpit work on plane 6...

This one has the full dream model cockpit etch where all the bits need to be painted and photo film sandwiched Inbetween etc. A bit more comprehensive than the precolored stuff in plane 2.

The metal bits were removed and cleaned up then mounted on tape. Mr metal primer followed by mr hobby 317 cockpit grey and tire black.

Detailed painting with revell aqua consisted of a heavy drybrushing with anthracite on IP's to bring out dials, and then a lighter drybrushing on the side consoles with light grey.

Photo film was sprayed white on the rear then the IP's assembled with x22 tamiya clear.

Everything was glossed then some oil washes applied of black on the side consoles, white for IP buttons and dark grey for the tub.

Some other bits done too on control columns etc.

Needs a flat coat and then some gloss in the dials.

IMG_5555.jpg

image.jpg

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by Tony Oliver
  • Like 5

Here are some close ups showing white buttons on IP's etc. Also the grab handle on RIO's shroud was undercut to make it look better and you can see the little folded pe box on top. Also the pe hud for pilot is waiting for glass still.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5

Some paint work on plane 2

I ended up modifing the ak air colors using the ak/meng basics set - adding white the the dark ghost grey and some blue & black to the medium/blue grey to increase the contrast between these colors. (See earlier in the thread for colour testing) Then spine looks light because this will be black and didn't want a build up of paint.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

And here is plane 4 having its colours built up. Starting with model air 36495 grey on the undersides. Which to my eyes makes a good scale light ghost grey as I found the model air set very dark in tone overall when testing them.

image.jpg

• Like 2

Plane 4 with its clothes on.

So the colours I ended up using were all a shade lighter because I found the model air set dark. So it has

36495 light grey in lieu of light ghost grey

Model color sky grey as dark ghost grey

Dark ghost grey in lieu of the medium/blue grey.

Point to note since this pic I redid the fuselage side demarcation between the dark ghost and medium grey after studing photos more.

Is is now diagonal running rearwards from around the tall blade antenna to inline with the gps(?) bump on the spine.

Next up, masking for red, black and white bits!

image.jpg

• Like 3

Hasegawa GE nozzles.

Alot of work filling the pin marks inside the sections and then assembing them. I added the strips inside as this detail is missing. The worst bit is where you can see the joins on the fillet area Inbetween the petals every other one. Thinking of scraping it flat, smoothing out then adding the little ribs again from stretched sprue perhaps...

Should have tried that on the plastic tamiya f-16 nozzle in hindsight as that part is missing that one detail...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

Speaking of which here are my tamiya f-16 nozzles. The original plastic part got destroyed 😡(Dont ask how it happened, tres embarrassing)

so don't fancy buying another whole kit for another nozzle to master with the little stretched sprue ribs 😂😂

These are destined for plane 2

image.jpg

• Like 2

Black and red details going on plane 2.

Used ak/meng basic set to go with the ak air main colors.

They spray really well and have a great finish. I mixed the red for the tail tips with a touch of black to match the red of the decals for this build.

Tamiya curves tape (white bits) - really good stuff.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2