On 02/10/2017 at 20:53, Tony Oliver said:

Vf21 bird has been primed! 

Great having different shades of primer available these days. Handy doing some things in black or white to help the up coming colours.  

Gave the gloss black stynylrez another run out as a base for the metals. 

Also tried the mission primer out on some of the smaller parts too. Pleased. 

0_D335888-423_E-40_F2-_B707-_ADF6_BAF312

Stuck to my favourite mix of  lightened grey stynylrez for the airframe though. (I find the regular grey too dark)

My vision for this CO’s plane is to try and give a varied, faded and worn look without the blatant in your face touch up type paint job that the vf 14 & 111 line birds had with their maskol & post shade technique. I also wanted a stronger tonal variation than black-basing would give me (already used on the vf 31 & 102 birds)

So the plan is to try the same style I used for my have glass F-16CJ Block 50, where I did pre shading and pre highlighting, then used mig transpartor to apply thin coats of the main colour allowing the work to show through. Sort of like a black and white technique that seems popular with armour & figures. 

Before doing that F-16 in this style in March time I kind of did this last year with the vf 101 & 213 builds but didn’t use any transparency in the upper layers of colour so obliterated most of the black and white work. 

So next for this will be some black and white work with the mission model basics then it will be the ghost greys over this with the mission ‘transparent medium’ ie a clear base paint so that over thinned colour layers don’t lose their integrity 

Thanks for looking (and reading, not many pics this post - sorry)

Regarding HaveGlass, I wonder if it's worth scuffing up the plastic with say 600-800 sandpaper to give a texture? Apaprently the finish of the HaveGlass is very rough and pilots have said it's almost like 80 grit! 

• Like 1

On 03/07/2018 at 15:30, planehazza said:

Regarding HaveGlass, I wonder if it's worth scuffing up the plastic with say 600-800 sandpaper to give a texture? Apaprently the finish of the HaveGlass is very rough and pilots have said it's almost like 80 grit! 

Ok cheers mate, point noted for future f-16 builds regards roughness. It wasn’t so much the haveglass colour and it’s roughness I was on about when I referenced it, but the paint layering process (colour wise) I used on that falcon build that I wanted to use for that particular tomcat :)  Kind of like the black and white technique now popular with armour.  

On 03/07/2018 at 20:00, David H said:

Splendid work, Tony.

Would this be an example of applying "Tough Love" to the HobbyBoss Tomcat kit? LOL

-d-

Thanks mate, yeah I suppose it is.

Some so much that some of them have took a second round of it as my next major update of the group and new yet to be taken RFI pics will show. 

Three planes (my first three builds from this wip) have had various levels of surgery/reworking from minor to major. This was to make use of newer knowledge or better/improved parts that I have since developed... 

Watch this space! 

Current VF2 build has had the details painted and then glossed ready for decals 

Red door edges. 

2_A4_E8598-7_EE6-4_A65-_B9_FB-95_C7_E640

Struts and oleos in silver. 
9_AF5_B020-_CC70-4_EDC-_A269-16755352_C5

Radome tan on ecm bumps, mixed light yellow for formation lights, gunmetal graphite on empty rails, steel on tail hook and black grey for its rubber bumpstop, Silver base colour for nav lights (clears to be added at end of build after matt coat)
C7_A31_B50-_C25_C-4_B9_F-_A51_A-1_F35584

Overall view of glossed parts (ak gauzy) PS wheels and tires were done too. 
F1_CB6816-_FFE9-4021-_AFB8-564_D7_E9_EC9

Thanks for looking. 

• Like 3

Warning! Extreme dullness ahead. 

I didn’t use the stars and bars from the sheet as they didn’t match the references (were too big) so used the tiny stock kit black ones from the vf41 Libyan killer option. 

She aint pretty... all gull ‘n black. 

Ps excuse the backdrop of the dogs’ sweet shop :D 

389_F1946-7_D9_F-46_ED-_B04_A-226_D7_C00

5_D1_B6_C03-4_A4_A-48_A5-8953-_A7786_A02

CD969069-8949-4_ADD-_AA33-_FECAC3_BC6_D5

FBC78_E98-0557-43_E6-908_B-_AC8545_D562_

• Like 6

Panel line Washes being applied - 

In a nutshell -

Meduim grey on uppers, with deep grey in hinge lines of rudder and flaps. Black in vents and grills. 

Dingy Brown grey on lowers with deep brown in hinge lines or grills etc. 

White U/C bits - legs bays and doors washed with light grey. 

Exhausts had deep brown on the inside tubes and black on the outside of the nozzles. 

C8_C0_BD9_B-0029-4_E20-_B6_F2-66_DDFFF15

Below on wings L-R: brown grey, deep brown. Medium grey, deep grey. 

AC8_BE4_DC-8229-403_A-81_E6-_B1_F28_CB62

U/C

05_BD562_F-630_D-4_AF9-_B3_B6-3275_F45_D

Overall view:

65867428-635_A-42_D0-_B9_B6-4_E36_D02_AA

Thanks for stopping by. 

• Like 6

So washes have been sealed. 

Mission flat coat for most, with semi on the metal and white u/c bits. 

Quite pleased as the panel lines are defined but not in your face. 

2372_C746-8_AAB-4_CF6-_B7_EB-_E0_F0688_F

E83_E5_CAA-_C65_B-4_E62-8_A05-_E9_D6_D52

5_AAB92_E1-2456-4_FA7-_B840-3_D15_F28_C4

Next is some weathering - dirt streaks and fading etc with oils. 

Something else I have started - 

Seen on page one almost two years ago with the first purchases was this Felix mascot. 

Seeing as the above number ten build is nearing completion I thought I would start him too as it will make a nice addition to the group. 

46_DE4_DF9-14_B0-401_E-_AF9_F-_BAAB4_BA1

Not going to bother with the gravel base thing they give, going to get a nice bit of wood to mount him on. 

Also planning to drill and pin the arms because they are just a butt join and that bomb is one solid heavy ball of resin. 

Cheers! 

• Like 7

Update-

Here is some more work completed recently. 

Started with a filter, made from the mig ammo oilbrusher ‘yellow bone’

It was applied as a very thin coat all over the upper surfaces - mainly just to fade the black markings a touch.  Then a stronger mix to change the shade of a few panels to represent fading or repainting and add some interest. 

Compare lower wing which has had some panels done as mentioned to plain upper. Black basing from the primary paint job still visible in both too. 

28_FFE8_A1-5_D54-4_BA7-_AD71-618_A999_FC

Both done. 

60_D90409-6_E7_B-473_E-9_CAD-422_D988_CE

Overall view of uppers. 

AD5_F212_F-7_D65-4965-84_F6-2_D60_E86202

Tails. Note filter colour change on leading edge and rudder on inside port fin. 

9_BE04_D86-4_D4_A-4_F18-_B756-_B76028071

Also now that flat coat was on the canopy could be demasked and removed (which itself was being used to mask cockpit) and some work done there. 

Wedge and strut (0.81mm brass rod drilled in) added then those and sill/surround painted. Also added a throttle section from some carved sprue (half an ejection pin node) 

Windshield has had its clear green added too. 

Seats have been painted, glossed decaled and washed. Now just awaiting their flat coat. Not shown. 

163_E766_E-_C53_D-494_C-8120-0650_C787_F

AA3_F34_B9-5_CC4-4_FBC-_A7_A0-860_DC3_B0

DF2_EFEDD-7074-4417-8_A98-8_B63_C94_B04_

Not bad for a home made cast resin cockpit! (hasegawa etch panels and IP’s combined with Hboss tub and coamings) 

The u/c legs have been detailed too. 

Just streaks and leaks on the airframe then it will be final assembly time!

Thanks for looking. 

Tony

Edit : Just noticed this thread was two years old a few days ago! 10 down and loads to go still...

6 planes in first year and almost 4 counting this one in the second. 

• Like 7

Yes! That filter does the job very well. Not too in your face, great tonal variety. Gives excellent visual interest to what could be considered, by some, to be a boring scheme.

Looking forward to seeing this one completed.

• Thanks 1

Nothing much to show but she’s all done. 

Spent a while with all the fiddly bits like U/C legs and doors, painting all the nav lights and then fixing on all the nose probes. 

One thing extra I did do - the last few have all had their wings in the oversweep parked position. 

I wanted to do this at max flight sweep so some grime would be visible - out with the tape. Some dark shades dotted on, then was blended with a moist (great word) brush. 

8_E52_B2_E0-6_E4_F-4_F9_C-_B0_AD-_C307_F

Edit - note above how much the streaks have ‘reduced’ the different colour (filter) panel work. It stands out less because there is more to look at so you don’t just notice that effect on its own. Nice bit of black basing still visible on tailplane too. 

Will try and get an RFI done over the weekend. 

Cheers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shalako said:

I think it's time to start building an Adversary Tomcat!!!

Hmmm possibly but only one that hasn’t been done already.

Will be looking into that one day in the future and making decals for them I think...

best 2016/18 Thread!!! A real step by step guide for Tomcat Lovers

The last addition a VF-2 Lov Viz simply stunning as the others, fantastic work until now.

I m stay tuned and really grateful for this thread

Regards

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys! 

Not done that much modelling this year. 

Most of my time has gone into a lot of R&D. 

1 - commissioning decal sheets you may be able to buy in hannants or sprue brothers next year. For tomcats of course. The under represented ones...

Unbelievable the amount of time and money that this requires... ask @Andrew my partner in crime for this project. 

2 - been perfecting my resin casting and improving masters for the tomcat mod bits from this thread to try and get stuff that is 100% sellable and a better fit with less work. To try and start an ebay shop one day perhaps. Also been getting permissions with regards to copyright of some bits. More about that in the stalled finemolds thread in the carriers ahoy GB. 

I have made some progress with the felix mascot though... 

All stynylrez! 

Black going on. Bomb was a very pitted cast.  Took several layers of putty and mr surfacer and sanding to smooth it off. 

67_B6_AE92-_C0_E2-4_BAE-8439-151362_D21_

Need to brush around the white bits on his mush. Mixed a gunmetal for the bomb from gloss black and sliver. 

Plain sliver for the fuse. 

Plain flat black and white for felix himself. 

Got a nice oak base for him now too. 

D021972_A-_B6_F3-4_F75-9390-_E5_E2333_A3

Bye for now. 

• Like 3

Felix update!

So the black was brushed in around the white, then drowned in gloss to level out the brush strokes. (The body was glossed too to prevent any difference in black due to the final varnish.)  Then his whiskers were added. 

785_F942_E-208_B-40_A3-_BB49-_E6_A479_CD

Then it was final varnish time. Here the body has had hataka matt applied already. The bomb was toned down with satin varnish. 
B8_C50388-7_D45-45_F9-99_CD-_CEC93_D6_E2

Here he is mounted on his base and all done! Will RFI him when I take pics of the vf2 bird. 
DB890805-6_B04-41_C1-9977-1_C96_FDA2_EE4

Note the finemolds gunfighter 160 lurking... 

• Like 5