Vf-2 completed teaser. 

Well nothing exciting or teasing really about this ‘dull gull’ bird. Thats only relevant if you prefer the gaudy types... 

I myself however am really into these simple schemes at the minute. Purposeful.  @Jon Freeman is now also an expert in drab tomcats too... 

image.jpg

Mit Felix! 

image.jpg

RFI’s for both to follow soon over next few days. 

These two along with myself are currently 250miles away from the rest of the ‘pounce’ 

Will be all together in a couple weeks time when back home.  

• Like 5

Still following this thread with great interest Tony, and the other Tomcat thread I found last night. Also interested in the items you are looking at producing. I was looking through the previous posts as I remember you using the Akan paints, to see what you used as a thinner. I couldn't find what you used so any help is greatfully received. Looking through got me thinking, have you thought about turning the threads into a book, 'Modelling the Grumman F-14 Tomcat'. Everything you have done so far would make a superb guide to the Tomcat, its weapons, paint schemes etc and would be a welcome addition to any modellers bookshelf. It would also make finding info easier. I am a bit old school, I do like a book at hand when I am modelling, just a thought, I would buy one!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tyxxx said:

Also interested in the items you are looking at producing. I was looking through the previous posts as I remember you using the Akan paints, to see what you used as a thinner. I couldn't find what you used so any help is greatfully received

Hi pal. Hope you’re well! Might see you at the September meet if dates work out ok. 

Anyways, thanks for your continued interest and support. 

To answer your questions - the akan paints I used were the short plastic dumpy white screw top acrylics. As seen in the first page of the RFI below. Akan do make other formula paints so not sure which ones you have?

The below tomcat was originally in Akan light gull grey, but when the decals didn’t work (contrast) she was stripped back and repainted in Mr Color Lacquer FS36495 light grey. 

The remaining paints used on the build like metallics, primarys and cockpit/pilots were all still Akan. 

When spraying them I used UMP universal thinner which made them go down silky smooth. Can’t remember exact ratios. I’m a bit lazy like that - I mix in the Airbrush cup till it sprays correctly for what I need it for at that time (coverage vs detail etc.)

Hope that helps. 

Here she is:

As for the ‘bits for sale’

That will most likely be in the spring now as have a deployment coming up. Still able to work on getting some decals sheets made as that is all via email liaison. 

So at least that way then I will have an ebay shop with several things available for sale from the outset to make as wide an impact as possible. 

Tony

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Tony. They are the small dumpy ones, a set for the Su-27 I started a millennium ago! I have never heard of UMP universal thinners, I will have to look it up. I am back in Darlington now so it would be good to see you in September. Any thoughts on the book idea? I picked up the Haynes Manual on the F-14 at The Works. I was pleasantly surprised, a good read with lots of new photos,  6 quid it was a bargain as well.

1 hour ago, Tyxxx said:

Any thoughts on the book idea? I picked up the Haynes Manual on the F-14 at The Works. I was pleasantly surprised, a good read with lots of new photos,  6 quid it was a bargain as well.

A book? 

Hmmmm thats a massive undertaking. Perhaps when I’m retired 😂

Yes got that haynes book from The Works too the other week. 

Good buy agreed! 

Tony. 

PS: UMP - ultimate modelling products. 

UK company. 

They do their airbrush thinner and cleaner. 

Some sanding sticks and clay based washes. 

They also re-bottle stynylrez as ‘ultimate primer’. Which it is. I love the stuff whose ever bottle it is in. Mig ammo one shot is the same product too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another victim on the bench, number eleven now!

Mission models paint again. 

Still undecided on the scheme however a few things done so far have narrowed it down - 

Light ghost grey done for intakes so will 99% be a tps job. 

Build wise it has the NACA vents for the gun so will either be a late A or B. Cockpit bits done so far won’t suit a D. 

Also I have built up the wing bladders so this is going to be wings forward and engines on with pilots in (bladders inflated off of engine bleed air) 

I am going to kit bash some fujimi wings for this to have dropped slats and flaps so I can use some of the new mission models insignia red on the exposed bits. 

Work done so far: 

69_B2_EE12-9_BDA-4_B00-93_A4-03571848755

E4647234-_EAC2-4_C38-960_D-0_AEB73625_F8

Still need lots of sanding. 

1_F075489-_FB7_D-4114-8395-85508_CB4_EB7

Cheers, Tony

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Would love that!

Like 102 here on this sheet.

https://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/ftd48075.htm

However no decals in 1/72 :(

Tony

24 pages later it has finally dawned on me that these Tomcats are 72nd.  Always just assumed they were 48th, observant or what?

Have to go back to the start and re-read it all, in a different light.

Peter

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Blackfordhibby said:

Tony

24 pages later it has finally dawned on me that these Tomcats are 72nd.  Always just assumed they were 48th, observant or what?

Have to go back to the start and re-read it all, in a different light.

Peter

Cheers Peter mate, agreed they would be alot more impressive if they were all 1/48. Not enough time and room sadly. 

In the first post of this thread there are links to all the RFI’s - the first photo in each has the paints/products used to give a sense of scale to the kits. 

Tony

1 hour ago, Parabat said:

Ah, yes, 1/72 does not seem to be as well supported on the markings front. What a shame.

Thats why I have started a little decal venture, hopefully people will want to build some drab line birds. Nearly all kits and most AM decals are all guady CO/CAG jets...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

Cheers Peter mate, agreed they would be alot more impressive if they were all 1/48. Not enough time and room sadly. 

In the first post of this thread there are links to all the RFI’s - the first photo in each has the paints/products used to give a sense of scale to the kits. 

Tony

Tony

The fact that they are 72nd makes them more impressive to me. I didn't take in the size of the paints etc to give me the scale. As I said.....just wasn't observant, in the jungle i'd be dinner.

I stick to 72nd for space reasons as well. I wholeheartedly agree regarding bog standard squadron aircraft, (not just F-14s) there just aren't enough. No doubt the manufacturers will have sussed that CAG aircraft etc catch the eye and sell more.

I don't know if it is the same story with British aircraft and squadrons, others will know that answer.I suppose that we should be pleased with the choice of kit manufacturers that are available. Though I do like a wee grumble!

Cheers,

Peter

• Thanks 1

Groupshot!

Here is the pounce all together in the bare kitchen. After this they were packed ready for the move. 

Ten cats with felix!

Arranged oldest to recent - left to right and then rear to front.  In terms of squadrons schemes not build features or models completed. 

Top left is Sluggers from 1983, all the way to the sunset Tomcatters in 2006. 

021_D4_E68-9328-4_D7_E-93_FB-1_B98_AD6_C

9_BA22327-7774-4_A82-_B86_C-_D5_E6_FFFF4

B249_FDDB-4459-4_BDE-9915-8_D8_E3_ED4_B8

CAA2_C734-5689-41_D5-_B354-7_EE2_E97444_

Thanks for looking. 

Tony. 

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, eng said:

Wow what an awesome collection, everyone of them absolutely stunning.... and not a Jolly Roger in sight 👍🏼😍😍😍

Thanks mate! 

The only thing that may be adorned with the jolly rogers logo’s is the hasegawa egg plane tomcat I got hold of recently - keeping that for a quick/fun build in the new year perhaps. 

Anyways all moved in now and gave the cabinet an upgrade so will get some pics. 

Plus still need to do the RFI for the vf2 and show the work here of the first three I completed plus update their respective RFI’s... 

Tony

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well first post back after 4 months or so!

The problem with that time away from plastic is research, trying to keep the interest going. Spent some time, perhaps too much, analysing stuff as kept discovering new pictures and information - result - some of my builds are wrong/incorrect. This is down to me not knowing enough at the time and/or decal sheets being wrong etc. 

Some of the things with the builds I improved over the summer were to make use of better parts, not changing the actual spec/paint depicted. (apart from removing the vf213 markings from that D’s ventrals) So looking back through my pics I have spotted similar things that could be done to others. 

Those improved builds need their updates adding here and the new  RFI pics to the respective threads too. 

Bits that can be done to some of the other finished builds - 

The vf101 reaper bird needs the tacan blade and gps dome painting grey (currently black as part of skunk stripe)

For the vf31 sundowner CO jet- 

Raise the seats (stock ones sit too low) 

Add a lantirn pod. 

Add better exhaust bits. 

Sort out upper camo demarcation.

Vf111 - side nose sundowner colour logos

Reduce the 36118 fin caps on 201 vf21 CO jet. 

The worst build for being wrong is the vf-32 cag desert storm bird, that has several marking/painting details that don’t match up, at the minute it seems to be a mis mash of a few pictures. 

In terms of this build there are a few bits I could change but some things markings wise that I can’t correct as they are not available nor can make up. 

So I am debating whether to - 

1 - sell it. 

2 - just live with it. 

3 - give it a partial repaint and change it to a completely different jet (there are a couple possibles that would work at the minute) 

First being the vf32 CO jet 201 from 1989 - would mean getting rid of all the insignia blue and going full gull. This jet had yellow sword and stripes on its gull tails. 

Other is a vf124 - NF453 show bird, partial repaint of tails (still insignia blue) and change the skunk stripe to possibly black? Also the ventrals are dark - either blue or black. Still not sure as there are several decals sheets for this jet and they have different opinions. 

Anyways need to think it over some more. 

Also want to start a new pair in colorcoats enamels - a gull and tps. 

Tony

• Like 2

Welcome home Tony. Interesting to read how your enforced sabatical from the site has thrown up extra information on the kites you have already built as accurately as you believed possible. Personally, if the errors are minor I wouldn't mess around with them, unless you get somebody who knows the particular subject better than you any errors would not be picked up. I often wonder how accurate decal sheets are as you rarely see the research or photos a manufacturer has used. Sometimes I think one side photo is used for both sides and if you look at painting guides, camo patterns are often the same on whichever subject. In reality, looking at photos of the same subject shows slight variations in where the pattern crosses panel lines, leading to shallow or tighter curves in the pattern.

As for your comment on the seats, the seat pan is adjustable to allow for different crews body lengths. Fully down the pan is very close to the cockpit floor. Fully up the gap between the top of the seat pan and the bottom of the head box can be quiet small. Having them at different heights is probably the most accurate, from my near 20 years working with seats the crews rarely raise them before they get out, they are left where they have been adjusted to!

Once again welcome home bud, looking forward to your thread continuing.

Edited by Tyxxx
  • Like 2