Crossbreeds Part 03

Modelling Mushi

Hello all

Last installment (for a while) on the crossbreeds. I'm off for a work trip for a few days so hopefully by the time I get back the varnish should have dried and I can post some pics.

The donor kits (and I use the word 'kit' very losely) are the following wonderful :banghead: , early, Academy offerings.

Crossbreeds_Part_03__001_zpspf9ojbon.jpg

Crossbreeds_Part_03__002_zpsqywg3gic.jpg

If you are ever thinking of buying these - for a heavy discount - do yourself a favour and buy a square block of resin instead and carve out the aircraft! It would be easier and also look closer to the real thing. Small list of issues:

• Shapes all wrong on both - terribly wrong on the F104
  • Mis-mouldings - the ventral strakes on the F16 are totally different sizes, as are all the weapons (fins short shot etc)
  • Decals - ARRGH! :deadhorse: Nothing like the box art for the F16. For the F104 the ink ran under a coat of Passt (Aussie Future), under Tamiya gloss, under Testors Semi- Gloss (all acrylics mind you), ran like all heck under Mr Mark and Micro-Mark products.
  • It all does not fit - split F104 fuselage in half dry fitting the efflux; F16 intake looked like it had a goiter, shaved off a ton of plastic and it still does not look right.

On top of this I dropped both a few times, misaligned some underwing stores, and sanded out a few fingerprints. Worst of all I am converting to acrylics and for some reason the Gunze blue on the F16 crazed even though the Gunze white dod not - this after 2 weeks hardening and using Passt which is the single most benign clear coat I have ever come across [you can drink it and live - just ask my stupid cat].

At the end I am pleased with these though. If this is all that goes wrong modelling wise for the next 12 months I will be a very happy camper.

These two builds are not as subtle as my F16 - Mirage F1 crosses that I have previously posted - I think some may have thought these were only paint jobs, but no, twas more.

Until later in the week

Ciao

• Like 1

Back now, so here's the pics of the finished products. Its a straight flying surfaces swap and then sticking to the schemes in the box.

First up, an F-16A with F-104G flying surfaces, out of box decals and blue on white color scheme (look for the crazing in the Gunze Blue) and some stores from the spares box:

Crossbreeds_03__03_zpsriutfean.jpg

Crossbreeds_03__04_zps44djvy4a.jpg

Crossbreeds_03__05_zpsv3x1wvfq.jpg

Crossbreeds_03__06_zpsm9t9s9fk.jpg

Second, the F-104 with F-16A flying surface, out of box colours and markings (including nightmare decals).

Crossbreeds_03__07_zpsjdyz7xij.jpg

Crossbreeds_03__08_zpsuxc95bce.jpg

Crossbreeds_03__09_zpshw6ierb9.jpg

Crossbreeds_03__10_zpszb73g3qh.jpg

Both of them on Airfix stands - didn't want the extreme hassle of the undercarriages - and I am pretty happy with them.

Until next time, with something totally different

Caio

• Like 5

Nice models. The F16 with 104 wings looks convincingly feasible. I'm not sure I like other one, the tail doesn't work for me. But I like the idea of both combos.

Cheers

Will

• 3 weeks later...

It's a good way to use two rubbish kits up. Agree with P's comment about 80s concept paintings they didn't seem to quite gel either. The awesome loadouts are entirely in keeping as well.

Nice work and considering the finishing issues pretty awesome!

• 4 months later...