Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer 237 OCU

Continuing with my theme of building aircraft I worked on during my time in the RAF.

This is the Buccaneer from 1984-86 starting at the time the OCU moved from Honington to Lossiemouth.

XX899 came from the RAFG fleet to the OCU. After going through the avionics update it was used by 12 Sqn and was one of the Granby aircraft, marked as P "Laser Lips Laura".

I've built it in the war role fit for Pavespike designation. We went on many detachments to Laarbruch for maxivals or tacevals, practising the role.

I had to source an AIM 9B Sidewinder and Lau 3B launcher for the self defence armament.

Again I threw lots of aftermarket bits at it to hopefully improve the end result. I went through the usual well documented trials with this kit, but with sheer perseverance it was finished

Along with the photographed AM stuff, the aircraft specific decals were made by Paul at Parkes682decals.

IMG_3530.jpg

IMG_3638.jpg

IMG_3639.jpg

IMG_3640.jpg

IMG_3641.jpg

IMG_3644.jpg

IMG_3648.jpg

IMG_3646.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Rob.

• Like 64

Daylight can be a harsh critic but in this case shooting outdoors has amplified what a class job you've done on that paint scheme. Really magnificent work Rob. I just found out that there's an S2B in desert livery parked up at Preston airport near Dublin, of all places. I'm currently trying to wangle access to get a photographic walkaround.

Really glad to have seen your one!

Tony

• Like 1

The Airfix beast has been tamed once again, what a stunner! Beautifully finished wrap round scheme too.

Eng

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Now that looks spot on, where did those ladders come from?

The ladders are part of the Flightpath RAF/RN Buccaneer detail & weapons set.

It has a whole bunch of PE for the airframe, intake blanks, ladders, ECM pod, Paveway II, AIM 9L and a couple of Martel missiles.

It's a good set.