What are the external differences between a Strikemaster and a Jet Provost?

Greg in OK

I want to turn a Strikemaster into a Jet Provost in 1/72 scale.

What are the external, visible issues that I would have to modify?

Any help appreciated..

Thanks

Greg in OK

The Strikemaster is based upon the JP.5 airframe.

Pretty much leave off the external stores and pylons and Robert's your mother's brother.

There may be some detail differences but the Airfix 1/72nd JP5 also doubled as a Strikemaster.

Wez

The Strikemaster has slightly different engine intakes in that there are gunports beneath the intake itself. IIRC the Airfix 1/72 kit had optional parts for this area, to allow either a JP5 or Strikemaster to be modelled.

As above the main difference is just under the intakes where there is a bulge for the guns and two distinctive shell & link discharge chutes per side.

Also has the four underwing hard points for weapons or drop tanks.

27109457931_588c3283c1_c.jpgBAC 167 Strikemaster Mk.84 311 G-MXPH 20 May 16 by James Thomas, on Flickr

26532050843_f438f5f390_c.jpgBAC 167 Strikemaster Mk.84 311 G-MXPH 20 May 16 by James Thomas, on Flickr

The Strikey also had a very different aerial fit, worth looking at pictures of the actual airframe that you want to do model as they may vary.

I have seen it written that the u/c is shorter, I must admit i've never noticed that.

There's some extremely pretty camo schemes for the many air forces that used the jet.

I have a few detail pics of a Strikey somewhere, let me know if you want them for reference.

Edited by 71chally

Apologies, just read that you want to make a Jet Provost!

Reverse what I said, some JP5s have distinctive strakes on their lower nose and under the intakes, Not sure why some do and others not.

6907546814_0d2a7fda96_c.jpgJet Provost T.5 XW289 73 by James Thomas, on Flickr

17233111031_8d0ccec2c0_c.jpgJet Provost T.5 XW324 20 Apr 15 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally

Of course all said above concerns the JP Mk.5. All earlier variants have totally different forward fuselage, but we'll have a new JP Mk.3/4 from Airfix next month and - at last - such extensive modifying of the Strikey won't be necessary :)

Cheers

Wow! All great info and really useful photos!

Being U.S. based I won't see anything new from Airfix for 6 months to a year, but it is great to know that they have one in the works.

Greg in OK

Apologies, just read that you want to make a Jet Provost!

Reverse what I said, some JP5s have distinctive strakes on their lower nose and under the intakes, Not sure why some do and others not.

6907546814_0d2a7fda96_c.jpgJet Provost T.5 XW289 73 by James Thomas, on Flickr

17233111031_8d0ccec2c0_c.jpgJet Provost T.5 XW324 20 Apr 15 by James Thomas, on Flickr

I'm sure the strakes on the nose were fitted to JP5s used for pilot training, aircraft used for navigator training and fitted with tanks had them removed. I'm sure I read somewhere they were removed when wing tanks were fitted for aerodynamic reasons .

• Like 2

great info thanks, is that then the visual difference between the 5/5A and the 5B - the tip tanks and lack of strakes?

IIRC yes, there are several members who did their flight training on JP's on here so hopefully one of them will be along to confirm it for us.

Duncan B

The 5 and the 5a were used by the RAF for pilot training and the nose strakes were fitted to improve the spinning characteristics - the leading edges of the wings had a roughened paint finish to improve the stall characteristics. The 5s with the tip tanks (I'm not sure if 5b is an official or 'unofficial' designation) were used by the RAF for nav training and didn't have the nose strakes (not sure about the roughened wing leading edges) I don't know if it was because the tip tanks themselves improved spin handling or if it was because they weren't flown by studes for spin training.

The 5a was an avionics upgrade - I think it added ILS and possibly also the VOR/DME - hence different aerial fit.

BTW - don't forget that the Strikemaster instrument panel and coaming are a very different shape and the Strikemaster ejection seats have prominent canopy breakers fitted to the tops. You can see them in 71challys photos in this thread.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 1

Wow! All great info and really useful photos!

Being U.S. based I won't see anything new from Airfix for 6 months to a year, but it is great to know that they have one in the works.

Greg in OK

Greg,

You haven't said which kit and scale you're planning to do this activity in.

Airfix have a 1/72nd JP5/Strikemaster in their back catalogue if you're using that, the instructions should guide you through the external differences but it can be built as a JP5 from the box, it's quite an old kit but is still pretty fine, it has delicate raised lines, Obscureco did a resin cockpit set for it which is quite neat (if you can find it)

The forthcoming Airfix 1/72nd JP3/3A can also be built as a JP4 because it's a JP3/3A with an uprated engine, it is not a Strikemaster and thus can't be built as a JP5 without some serious remodelling of the forward fuselage.

Matchbox did a Strikemaster which could be converted to a JP5 - taking note of the differences described here.

In 1/48th there are the Fly kits, never seen one can't vouch for it but the Strikemaster could be built as a JP5 again noting the differences noted here.

Wez

Matchbox did a Strikemaster which could be converted to a JP5 - taking note of the differences described here.

The Airfix kit has about 3 times the parts count of the MB, and while admittedly much of this is down on the JP5 and Strikemaster alternatives (with some 30 parts alone accounted for by the latter's underwing stores), the fact remains the Airfix kit is infinitely better detailed and much more refined. The MB IMHO is not one of their better kits - this even extends to the box art which show Matra-SNEB pods which are not provided, instead you get two feeble vertically-stacked rocket arrays. In addition, I have seen the MB go on ebay for quite ridiculous prices, so if a JP5 is wanted, the Airfix would seem the better proposition all round (as it has just about everything needed). For a 3 or 4: Wait for the new tool Airfix, with which their 1960 attempt won't be able to cope (I hope !!!).

I am doing this in 1/72. I have the Matchbox kit (somehow 2 of them actually) and not the old (and it sounds like better) Airfix.

I will build one of these MB and look forward into the far future for when we may finally get the new Airfix in the States....

Have to admit, that Botswana paint job is sharp!

Greg in OK

And lastly, would this be an option for the new Airfix JP?

E040%20BAC%20Strikemaster%20of%20Venezue

John

John,

That's one of the options on the recent Xtradecal sheet X72250, silver finish with red bands, quite an attractive option.

• Like 1

Whose scheme is that? It looks like it's in silver and dayglo but I can't decide whose national markings those are.

The pictures you've posted in the past couple of posts highlight the difference between the JP3/3A/4 and the JP5.