F7f Tigercat

neil5208

So, I've gone mad and bought a Contrail vacform Tigercat of ebay tonight without knowing anything about vacform modeling or the aircraft less the small amount of information on wikipedia. Does anyone know much about either please.

• Like 1

Hi!

There's plenty of Tigercat info around. I've got some info on interior colours I can dig out too.

I'd suggest aftermarket engines, props, wheels etc to make things easier.

I've photographed some vacform building basics on this thread:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235004181-vickers-valiant-b1/?hl=valiant

But there are others with more on offer :)

Post a build thread and people will keep you on the right track :)

I watched your thread, and it was one of the reasons I thought I would have a go with vac form. The kit should have some white metal parts so I will see what they are like before I rush out and buy more bits. I will finish my hs129 first before starting this one though.

This should probably be in the WW-2 or Cold War section, but...

I think for a first vacuform (maybe while you're gathering bits for the Tigercat) you may want to look at some variety of a single engine prop or jet. This will allow you to get some experience and practice under your belt.

One hint Bill Koster gave me was to spray the overall vacuform sheet in primer Gray prior to initially cutting out the parts. Then you just sand away the white plastic until you get to the line crested by the primer. Be sure to test fit, test fit and then test fit again as you sand to make sure you take away only the right amount of plastic.

It can be a bit more work than an injection molded kit, but you'll end up with something to be proud of and that will increase and improve your modeling skills.

• Like 2

The kit arrived yesterday, a bit shocking. Contains idea of a "detailed cockpit, under carriage and engine" is some questionable white metal and the instrument panel printed on the scale plan. Oh and one of the white metal props is only half a casting. I think this one will take a bit of planning to get right. The engines and props I can replace with resin parts, the under carriage with white metal parts. As for the cockpit it will end up being scratch built. Fun ahead.

Thanks for the comments, I will have a damn good go at this as I never done a vac form and wanted to try something challenging just didn't realise how challenging it will be. This will be a slow burner done alongside the other kits I have.