Spanish Civil War GB II 33 and STILL growing!

Some SCW-stash viewing ;)

Sorry for the stinky pictures...

SCWstash_140057.png

SCWstash_140623.png

SCWstash_140630.png

SCWstash_140614.png

SCWstash_140600.png

SCWstash_140550.png

SCWstash_143937.png

SCWstash_140425.png

Some books - I've chosen the less common ones:

SCWstash_143827.png

SCWstash_144100.png

SCWstash_144317.png

SCWstash_144129.png

SCWstash_144505.png

I have a collection of magazines (Avions, AeroJournal, Air Enthusiast, Air International etc) dating from the magazines' beginning - with a lot of interesting SCW articles B)

I am fluent in several european languages :devil: Questions are welcome - if I can help your SCWGB project! :D

• Like 4

Looks rather like my stash of SCW kits and books, Moggy - most impressive! Necesito mas libros en Espanol, porque puedo leer un poco de Espanol. But how did that B-57 sneak in there?

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 2

:clown::bleh::fool:

There's a Ju-86 in the B-57 box :pumpkin:

SCWstash_140600-2.png

I bought it very cheap... :pirate:

There are a couple more kits visible that do not belong to the SCW stash: A 1/72 USK Av Caproni Ca.133, a 1/72 USK Av SM.84 and a 1/72 LeO 451... They belong to another "story" (my model collections are suppossed to tell a story :ninja: )

Cheers, Moggy

• Like 2

It's 2.04am in Brisbane so awake time is fading :o!

I will reply individually tomorrow. Can I just thank people for the outstanding contributions to this thread :thumbsup:!

What a wealth of resources, stashes and above all, enthusiasm we all have!

Moggy seems to basically, *have* the airbourne SCW! What a collection! I had forgotten about the good old GAL monospar, the lovely Lioire 46, the rather splendid He 45 and 46.

If someone was brave enough to tackle the sole He 50; there is a way... Involving a kit of a Japanese aircraft.... ;)

Couzinet 101 anyone? :D

We finally have rumours of armour starting its engines :)

Thanks folks, I will add a couple to the book references tomorrow. I also speak/read a few lingos but a while back in another thread Mike said as it was a British forum we should speak British. So I'll not scribble in another lingo. I'm ok with most Romance and Nordic languages. A smattering of Polish, enough Russian to not get shot (possibly :shrug:).

All are fading here in the antipodes but the reading is ok.

Lovely images and references folks,

Many thanks for sharing :)

We're all mad :mental:

Best regards

Tony

Edited to acredit the correct stash owner!

• Like 4

Now there's a 'whiffer' for you - a B-57 in SCW camouflage. But to do it in Republican or Falangist markings?

Regards,

jason

Republican, of course.

I've heard that Franck G. Tinker flew the bird, but don't tell anyone.

Edited by Antoine
  • Like 3

Some SCW-stash viewing ;)

Sorry for the stinky pictures...

SCWstash_140600.png

Looking at that stash makes my eyes water!! I have a SCW stash, but it is only about a third of what is there....

Tony, please put my name down in support of the proposed Group Build also.

But there is one kit in those photos that I bet nobody will make for the group build....it's the infamous Roden He111B "Pedro". I remember reading that it was voted one of the top ten worst kits of all time.....

Philip (aka Prenton)

• Like 2

To me, and by far, this brick is the best reference in French about SCW in the air.

A little bit outdated, as it was published during the seventies.... but still in the race, as there was not that much published on the subject.

Looking for it since a long time, I've found it only recently, for about 100€....

Not that cheap, but believe me, I didn't hesitate for a second.

A good reference in english, anyone?

l_avia10.jpg

• Like 2

Looking at that stash makes my eyes water!! I have a SCW stash, but it is only about a third of what is there....

Tony, please put my name down in support of the proposed Group Build also.

But there is one kit in those photos that I bet nobody will make for the group build....it's the infamous Roden He111B "Pedro". I remember reading that it was voted one of the top ten worst kits of all time.....

Philip (aka Prenton)

I'm still awake Philip, just :o! Many thanks and welcome on board :thumbsup:!

Ok, if this passes the vote, given I proposed it and everything; I'll do the Roden He-111B. Yes. I will. :mental:.

I've tried before and yes, it is an utter nightmare. What makes it worse is that it has fantastic detail and potential. :frantic:.

It gets my utter and unequivocal vote for most frustrating kit I've ever tried, but I'm told: The Roden He-111C (another SCW aircraft) is even worse!

Apparently the wrong wings for a 'C' and the interior with seats doesn't fit. At all. But sawing one armrest off each seat helps :D! Along with all the inherited wing/centre section/wheel well challenges of the A, B and E :o!

Well, this is what modelling is all about. Any volunteers for the SCW He-111 C? ;)

Best regards

Tony

Well, If we change (just an idea for future or in case people stop joining) to "WWII prelude" with for example early Second Sino-Japanese War, instead a new incoming Airfix B5N1 with camouflage from 1938 I will make a Chinese He-111A!

What about early He-111 Roden STGB? :hanging:

Edited by Botan
  • Like 3

Antoine, I don't know if anyone's already posted it (they probably have), but a good and comprehensive guide to SCW aeroplanes is 'Aircraft of the Spanish Civil War: 1936-1939' by Gerald Howson, published by Putnam, 1990. I have no idea if it's still in print, but when I was really into my SCW modelling back in the 90's, I found it to be an invaluable guide. It unfortunately doesn't have any drawings, or profiles, but it has lots of photographs and information on the aircraft that served on both sides. I recommend it.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

Well, If we change (just an idea for future or in case people stop joining) to "WWII prelude" with for example early Second Sino-Japanese War, instead a new incoming Airfix B5N1 with camouflage from 1938 I will make a Chinese He-111A!

What about early He-111 Roden STGB? :hanging:

What a splendid idea! :fool: The Roden He-111 Self Flagellation STGB (Masochists Only).

Any takers ? :dunce:

Meanwhile; yes I had heard that rumour about Frank Tinker in the B-57. Nevertheless, some say only a partial aircraft was smuggled over on a potato barge. Howson suggests it may actually just have been a fuselage from an early Canberra, later mated to the wings of a Sopwith Comic at Tablada.

Meanwhile Miranda is adamant that 26 B-57s arrived by train; a diverted shipment originally intended for Bratislava. They were nevertheless intercepted by an Italian eating macaroni cooked using his flame thrower equipped Lancia-Flamme.

All 26 B-57's were then taken over by the Condor Legion. Subsequently they were shipped back to Germany in exchange for desperately needed new waffle ovens.

At the end of the war the B-57's, in knock down form, were taken by submarine to Hitlers secret base beneath Antarctica where, to this day, they form the main strength of the modern day Luftwaffe.

Commentators cannot decide if they were repainted in RLM63 or RLM02. Some say they may have been painted in a strange tinted laquer.

:D

Best regards

Tony

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure Jason, that during the late stages of the SCW all supplies of RLM22 had been diverted to repaint the Luftwaffe Hanebu flying saucer fleet, already established in Antarctica, following Hitlers decision not to send the squadron to Seville?

29D4C455-C8A4-4895-8BC2-06FFC2291976_zps

:shrug:

Best regards

Tony

• Like 4

Looking at the photo the painting was based on and the nature of light in an Antarctic summer (observe the angle of the U-Boat shadows), the glare from the reflected background and so on, I think RLM63 is much more likely (sorry to diagree Jason). The difference of opinion is explained by the first use on the Haunebau was a gloss or high satin finish rather than the matt used later by the Luftwaffe. A good resource is HERE but the old myth of the first flights in 1939 is repeated when, of course, that is when the programme was revealed.

Back on Topic I don't think the Haunebau should be allowed as Tony Tiger suggests. No information on SCW use has emerged from the Antarctic or Luftwaffe archives and the activities of all known and suspected crew are known with reasonable certainty. The B-57 is another matter though..... :winkgrin:

• Like 2

You know, it can't be said that we don't have a sense of humour :rofl:!

I've been confined to bed due to a health issue for just over a week now, and found myself reading all of this Haunebu stuff, watching some documentaries on YouTube. The Sarge came up with a word for it; "Special".

Oh yes, it's certainly special, it it kept me entertained anyway, I hope the slight diversion shows were here to have fun on this GB :D

Now, really back on topic. 'Gecko' over on WW2 Aircraft net has written a number of exceptionally interesting articles on SCW with a huge number of photographs. Some photographs, eg some of the early Bf-109's are pictures I have not seen anywhere else.

This is a link to his initial articles on Republican aircraft:

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/spanish-civil-war-republican-air-force-fare.25733/

It may be necessary to register with the forum to see the photographs, but registration is free and it is a good forum.

From the link above it should be possibly to find his other threads, which I think also includes AFV's.

My wife was at an exhibition in Brisbane today, so I couldn't get her to bring me my SCW books and take pictures for me :confused:.

I'm still immobile so will have to wait tomorrow now to hope she can help me with this and I can put a couple more book references here.

Antoine; the Lareau book is just superb. I also paid €100 plus €40 insured postage for a copy from a second hand book dealer in Madrid earlier this year. Converted to the weak Australian dollar it came to almost $300 in total making it the single most expensive book I've ever purchased. Nevertheless, as you say, little hesitation was involved, it is superb. A few innacuracies are now clear after nearly 4 decades of further research, but it is an essential reference.

Jason; many thanks. Howson's book is indeed superb. I believe it is out of print, but copies seem to be available if one shops carefully, for around £50 plus postage. Your description is absolutely accurate of the content and style. Highly recommended.

Patrick Laureu's book on Aircraft of the Legion Condor is a beautiful, lavishly illustrated book with many useful photographs and profiles:

32924312-BBE6-44D3-A1F4-473B7B535FC4_zps

This was published in 2000, many years after his 'Republican' tome and is still quite available for a very reasonable price. I have spent many happy hours with this one.

Ok folks, still hoping for a sea salt, a submariner, a figure/diorama modeller and someone for auto-gyros will join us. If you know anyone give them a prod and see if they will :poke:.

Best regards

Tony

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about the health issues, Tony - get better, that's an order! Meanwhile, whilst you're laid up, you can re-read the Laureau Legion Condor book. That's one I have, and it is an excellent book, with many good photographs and some lovely colour profiles. If I weren't busy on my own book (not on the SCW, unfortunately, but post-war Soviet strategic bombers), I'd re-read my copy. One of these days I may just get around to writing my own book on the SCW, but that will have to wait. Now about the auto-gyros, I do have a 1/72nd scale Azur Cierva C.30, with I believe, SCW markings...

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Hi Tony,

I wish you a quick recovery!

I'm still thinking about what to build, but I'm sure I'll end up building some Legion Condor aircraft (a Bf 109 or a Stuka). The Hobby Boss Vickers / CASA Type 245, however, caught my eye!

By the way, it seems you failed to include me in the list of participants (I showed my interest in post #14). Please do so, it makes us 18 now! :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Patrick Laureu's book on Aircraft of the Legion Condor is a beautiful, lavishly illustrated book with many useful photographs and profiles:

This was published in 2000, many years after his 'Republican' tome and is still quite available for a very reasonable price. I have spent many happy hours with this one.

Ok folks, still hoping for a sea salt, a submariner, a figure/diorama modeller and someone for auto-gyros will join us. If you know anyone give them a prod and see if they will :poke:.

Best regards

Tony

Hi Tony,

I think its a translation of this one:

lela_l10.jpg

• Like 3

Sorry to hear about the health issues, Tony - get better, that's an order! Meanwhile, whilst you're laid up, you can re-read the Laureau Legion Condor book. That's one I have, and it is an excellent book, with many good photographs and some lovely colour profiles. If I weren't busy on my own book (not on the SCW, unfortunately, but post-war Soviet strategic bombers), I'd re-read my copy. One of these days I may just get around to writing my own book on the SCW, but that will have to wait. Now about the auto-gyros, I do have a 1/72nd scale Azur Cierva C.30, with I believe, SCW markings...

Regards,

Jason

Many thanks for the get well wishes Jason :). I have haemophilia and whilst that in itself is not much of a problem these days, I have a bit of bleeding into my lower spine, so I'm on strict and quite boring bed rest at the moment; hence the Haunebu fun :D

I'm still waiting for my copy of your book on Lavochkin fighters to arrive. It's my own fault it has taken so long, I was a Scrooge and went for free postage from the UK. I read the small print from the seller today and under 'expected delivery time' it says '20 to 60 days' :o!

Obviously it is being brought by a courier, hitch-hiking their way from Cheltenham to Brisbane. In terms of tracking, he is probably stalled somewhere in Papua, having unfortunately found himself captured by one of the few remaining unknown cannibal tribes on earth. From his vantage point in the boiling pot he can see the tribe elder, interestedly leafing through my book :confused:.

It would be good to see a new SCW book Jason. It's something I have often thought of attempting too, my previous publications are very dull indeed and it would be nice to write about something I'm really passionate about. Around 12 -14 years ago I went really overboard with research into specific pseudo-mythical aircraft that were alleged to have been involved in the conflict. It was fun and eventually a little rewarding. In many ways, it seemed at the time that *more* resources were available on the internet than is the case today.

The dead links from David Nash's website are in some ways, evidence of that.

I managed to 'magpie' some website data that no longer exists, including many photographs and individual aircraft histories that I can no longer find on the internet. My health is becoming an issue with writing etc. Perhaps this group build 'think tank' can contribute towards a 'BM' publication :).

It would be lovely to see the Azur C-30 built. I have one in the stash and it looks fine. I know RS have just released one, but the Azur will make just as good a model. It's moulded very nicely. Nice decals too. Hint hint :whistle:

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1

Hi Tony,

I wish you a quick recovery!

I'm still thinking about what to build, but I'm sure I'll end up building some Legion Condor aircraft (a Bf 109 or a Stuka). The Hobby Boss Vickers / CASA Type 245, however, caught my eye!

By the way, it seems you failed to include me in the list of participants (I showed my interest in post #14). Please do so, it makes us 18 now! :)

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jaime! I'm so sorry, I don't know how I missed entering you on the list :oops:. It was a genuine mistake, my apologies :doh:.

Thank you for your well wishes :) I hope I will be better in a weeks time or so.

Now, a Legion Condor BF-109 or Ju-87 would be very nice..... but.,.... The Special Hobby Vickers CASA 245 Vildebeeste, now there is something very special :thumbsup:

I think you would like this kit very much. It scares me to death :door:, but for the same reason I think you would like it; it has some really fine photo-etch detail.

My sausage fingers and blurry eyes are useless with photo-etch but you do a grand job with the stuff! I have seen many attempt this scheme, yet they don't quite get the right 'feel', they make it too precise on the model:

9F95E27C-A290-449F-B18C-6639F7E2EA4E_zps

Again, I wouldn't know where to start, but someone else may like a challenge ;)

I'll put you in the list Jaime; Woohoo 18!

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1