Spanish Civil War GB II 33 and STILL growing!

Hello all!

As this year it is 80 years since the Spanish civil war, I thought it would be nice to propose a GB for 2017 or 18 for the SCW.

This conflict brought together people from all over the globe, from coal miners from Wales to Ernest Hemingway, from clandestine Luftwaffe pilots ; many of whom went in to become WWII aces) to George Orwell.

Soviet pilots, Australian nurses, Volunteers on all sides of the war.

The scope for vehicles from improvised AFV's welded together by union members, to the first German Panzers, Italian light tanks, supplies of French tanks from WWI, Soviet armour, is huge.

Aircraft range from the first successful monoplane retractable undercarriage fighters (the Soviet I-16) to the first BF 109's, Italian Savoia-Marchetti bombers, Cant and other floatplanes, Junkers transports and an incredible array of 'Golden Age' civilian aircraft.

Pressed into (or volunteered) for service, there were aircraft manufactured in e.g. Poland, France, Czechoslvakia, America, the USSR, Canada, Great Britain and of course Spain involved.

Ships and naval subjects are very important and varied. Nationalist and Republican Spanish, German and Italian naval vessels, submarines/U boats, merchant ships of many origins. A large number of the latter were destroyed in the conflict.

The scope for figures donned in all manner of uniforms and similarly for dioramas and vignettes is vast.

If anyone would like further information on subjects, just pop me a PM :)

If anyone is interested and then also if anyone would like to co-host; that would be great!

Come and join us for beer, sangria, tortillas and tapas! :)

Righto: on with the list:

1. TonyTiger66 (host)

2. Antoine

3. Sgt. Squarehead

4. CliffB

5. Learstang

6. Arniec

7. JimmyZ

8. wyverns4

9. Kingtiger

10. Artie

11. AndyC

12: stevehed

13. Botan

14. JWM

15. SleeperService

16. Moggy

17. Prenton

18. jrlx

19. Levin

20. whitestar12chris

21. Styreno

22. exdraken

23. Avereda

24. Gingerbob 

25. JohnD

26. TrickRich

27. SAU

28. Jockney 

29. Kahunaminor

30. TheBaron

31. Kpc7676

32.AlexN

33. Grandboof

Well, we made 30, and now we're on 33!

:partytime:

We're a slow steady burner.

The 'Green party' of group builds, one day we will get enough bods to pass the poll, we just have to spread the word and stick to our guns.

Thanks to Martin fog becoming number 33 :thumbsup:  welcome on board.

Let's keep the momentum up. Ask your friends! Please post any links to or pictures of SCW subjects.

It would be lovely to see some 'sea salts' here. Anyone want to build a Dreadnought? .

This is a superb area for figures too. Aircraft? We are utterly spoilt with beautiful subjects!

Thanks for joining, all your support and suggestions folks :) 

TonyT

Edited title and text 11/10/2016

PS: A little prize or three could be made available if people are interested, please let me know in the thread. Sponsored by  my stash reduction project ;)

• Like 1

Thanks Antoine, that's a fantastic and colourful montage of superb kit subjects. So varied! :) I'm going to start building the very Valom Fokker F VII/3M kit in your picture once I've finished my three LaGG 3's. I'm looking for that Lockheed Electra kit; hard to find :confused:.

It may not have been in Spain, but it was once thought that one of the Aero A 102 prototypes was there. This weekend, at a local charity shop, I found an old RS Resin 1/72 kit of the Aero A 102 for $10! Completely out of the blue :o

51738581-7849-4287-AD42-94795A14F93B_zps

Definitely my lucky day :)

Thanks Sarge, I hope it gains some momentum. These were my two ideas for GB's. This is my no.1 modelling and personal research passion, and indeed today it is 80 years since the start of that war, the rehearsal for the big show.

I'll start a list with the three amigos on it :)

All the best

Tony

Might as well add me also. After the Eastern Front, the SCW is my passion. I've built many models, but I have many more I could build. Any one up for a Fairchild 91 amphibian, perhaps?

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Yes I am in. I have got a 1/48 SM-79 Sparviero with some montex mask for a SCW build and some decals for a Bf-109 E.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1

Oh, yes I am in!

Lots in the stash... and it will keep me busy during my forced unemployment in Dar-es-Salaam

Christian, exiled to africa

• Like 1

Thank you so much everyone! So many people after just one day :)

It's 1 am here so I will reply to everyone properly tomorrow and update the list.

We all know what an important event this war was; but following this link we can find people today, of 100 years old, that in one case for example, was a mechanic on I-15's. Today is a very special day, some of these people will be gone on the 85th anniversary.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/gallery/2016/jul/18/survivors-of-the-spanish-civil-war-80-years-on-in-pictures

Saludo

Tony

• Like 1

Definitely one for me too Tony - probably an He.59 or He.60 (or both!).

Cliff

Thanks Cliff and welcome on board! They are both really attractive aircraft, I have rarely seen the He.60 made. It would be fantastic to see either (or both!) of these built - the He.59 is quite huge (and too tricky for a mere mortal like me) ;)!

Might as well add me also. After the Eastern Front, the SCW is my passion. I've built many models, but I have many more I could build. Any one up for a Fairchild 91 amphibian, perhaps?

Regards,

Jason

HI Jason, welcome and many thanks. :thumbsup2: I've not seen the Fairchild 91 built, my spelling may be wrong - 'The Virgin of Chimorro'? Captured and put to use, a really fascinating story to that attractive Golden Age aircraft. It would be lovely to see it built. :)

Thank you Antoine and thank you for all your work in posting the colour images of a *lot* of the available aircraft kits. It really helps :) I might try to do the same for AFV's, but if anyone wants to chip in, don't hold back - Panzer I Ausf A and B, T-2 Model 1933, BT-5, CV-33 and CV-35, Bilbao, even a Hispano - Suiza armoured car (available from Minairons in a couple of scales)...and there are many more..

Yes I am in. I have got a 1/48 SM-79 Sparviero with some montex mask for a SCW build and some decals for a Bf-109 E.

Cheers,

Thanks Arniec and welcome to the throng! A 1/48 Sparvieo will be stunning (Classic Airframes?). I have a very old Italian 1/50 Sparviero kit in Lime Green plastic - I feel it will stay in the stash :shutup: . To see a nice one built would be great. Bf. 109E's are always welcome, I love them in the Spanish schemes with the black trim along the side, often with individual insignia like beer mugs and top hats!

I'd be interested.

Cheers

Thanks JimmyZ thats great and welcome! :) Have you any thoughts on what you'd like to build? Whatever it is, good to have you on board.

Oh, yes I am in!

Lots in the stash... and it will keep me busy during my forced unemployment in Dar-es-Salaam

Christian, exiled to africa

Great to hear from you Christian and welcome on board. I can sympathise with the exile, I'm in more or less forced exile too. We both need a clandestine escape on board a Ju-52! :D

Thank you folks for a great response after just 3 days. Almost up to 10. There are people on BM I know would like to be on this, a certain chap in Poland springs to mind, and one in the USA (hint, hint if you read this).

Here's hoping we can get this off the ground and model some these fantastic and varied subjects :)

Feel free to post links to any resources or information.

All best regards

Tony

• Like 2

Thanks Arniec and welcome to the throng! A 1/48 Sparvieo will be stunning (Classic Airframes?). I have a very old Italian 1/50 Sparviero kit in Lime Green plastic - I feel it will stay in the stash :shutup: . To see a nice one built would be great. Bf. 109E's are always welcome, I love them in the Spanish schemes with the black trim along the side, often with individual insignia like beer mugs and top hats!

Hi Tony,

The Sparviero is from Trumpeter. I have got also loads of etch for this and some resin engines as well.I will see if I have the time for it (when this starts in 2017)Otherwise it will be the Bf-109E or maybee a Hs-126?! We will see.

O, I also found a He-70 and a do-17E in the stash.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1

Hi Tony,

The Sparviero is from Trumpeter. I have got also loads of etch for this and some resin engines as well.I will see if I have the time for it (when this starts in 2017)Otherwise it will be the Bf-109E or maybee a Hs-126?! We will see.

O, I also found a He-70 and a do-17E in the stash.

Cheers,

The Sparviero would be stunning with the photo-etch and engines. There are some truly stunning colour schemes, way beyond my capabilities! The Hs. 126 doesn't get modelled often and it's an attractive aircraft. The He. 70 is stunning with an almost 'Spitfire' wing. Revell have just released a boxing of the ICM kit; a real bargain. The Matchbox/Revell kit was nice too. Good colour scheme.

You've got a great stash Arniec, it goes without saying that a 'baccalau'/flying pencil is superb as is an Emil. Decisions, decisions :shrug:

Let's hope it goes through, you might be able to make two ;) !

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1

Hmmm, interesting! I'm in.

Excellent Kingtiger and welcome on board :) Does this mean we have a chance of some armour? I've had a PzKpfw 1 Ausf A (by Dragon 1/35) in the stash for a long time, but those individual plastic track links worry me :confused:. Maybe I need to get over my lazyitis and just get stuck in :)

All the best

Tony

• Like 1

Please, count me in.........Altogether with Commonwealth subjects, this is my favourite modelling interest....!!!!

Cheers, from a too hot Tenerife......I'm afraid I'm going to run out of beer....

pws10-3.jpg

Edited by Artie
  • Like 2

Excellent Kingtiger and welcome on board :) Does this mean we have a chance of some armour? I've had a PzKpfw 1 Ausf A (by Dragon 1/35) in the stash for a long time, but those individual plastic track links worry me :confused:. Maybe I need to get over my lazyitis and just get stuck in :)

All the best

Tony

I'm thinking, maybe on the early tanks. Mirage makes them at cheap prices. The Stuka dive bomber is a good possibility too, we'll see! I hate individual track links too. They look nice after finish, but it's very demoralizing glue all that tiny links, at least for me! Long live to rubber tracks!

• Like 1

Please, count me in.........Altogether with Commonwealth subjects, this is my favourite modelling interest....!!!!

Cheers, from a too hot Tenerife......I'm afraid I'm going to run out of beer....

pws10-3.jpg

Oooh Artie, surely not a PWS 10?? :o That would be awesome. Very pretty Polish parasol aircraft. Broplan make a rather nice Vacform, there is also an Ardpol resin. I had (and have another of) the former and tried to make it once, but turned the fuselage halves into banana skins :confused:.

You can't possibly run out of cool beer! Go get lots of Estrella ;)

Good to have you on board amigo

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1

I'm thinking, maybe on the early tanks. Mirage makes them at cheap prices. The Stuka dive bomber is a good possibility too, we'll see! I hate individual track links too. They look nice after finish, but it's very demoralizing glue all that tiny links, at least for me! Long live to rubber tracks!

Mirage make some very nice things; their T-26 looks superb. I like Polish subjects too and bought one of their PZL Łos. It's a bit beyond my ability for now, but looks lovely.

A Stuka would be awesome. In the early RLM scheme the Stuka 'A' and 'B1' look (and were) at their most potent. They were called 'Stupido' in Spain. Appearance only I think, they were anything but stupid :o!

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1

Mirage do very nice T-26s in 1/72 too, the SKIF/UM T-26 kits are a very challenging build by comparison. S-Model do a couple of early T-26 variants as high-end QB kits too.

The BT-5 is only available from UM in 1/72, but it's a decent kit.

The CV-33 is available from DOC or S-Model in 1/72.....Each kit has its issues DOC's are probably easier to sort out.

Pz.I kits are available from several manufacturers, ESCI/Italeri's Ausf B kit is old and clunky but eminently buildable. QB kits are available from S-Model and First to Fight and there's also a range of high quality short run Pz.I Ausf A (including a Nationalist 20mm Breda conversion) from Attack Hobby.

SCW armoured cars are available from several manufacturers, notably Minairons, my subject will probably be one of theirs (well two actually):

Cropped_zpsca4cacd3.jpg

• Like 3

Wow - very Art Deco armoured car! Somewhat like the CR.32 Chirri is a very Art Deco aeroplane.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1