Airfix 1/24 Hawker Typhoon as MN875 (EL-B)

large_zpsovqvymyh.jpg

MN875 (EL - B ) was flown regularly by Dutch pilot Robbert van Zinnicq "Bergy" Bergmann. Bergmann was a law student in 1940 and some time during the German occupation of the Netherlands managed to escape to Britain. In Britain, he trained to become a combat pilot and had a successful career. With 181 squadron he operated out of improvised airfields and captured former Luftwaffe airfields in France, Belgium and The Netherlands as the allies advanced. After the war, Bergmann became a high ranking officer at the Dutch royal court (https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbert_van_Zinnicq_Bergmann).

On March 31st 1945, MN875 was flown by F / Sgt. D. D. J. Carter. Carter's aircraft was hit by anti-aircraft fire over the Dutch town Enschede. The aircraft crashed at 15:15, and Carter did not survive.

dode-piloot-op-de-handkar-small_zpsvop9e

Local resident Egbert. A. van de Haar remembers the remains of Carter being moved on a cart, covered by a white sheet; Van der Haar later drew the image above. The photo below shows what is believed to be Carter's grave.

Enschede_oorlog%20061_zpsnv9vlfk8.jpg

I'll be building Airfix' amazing 1/24 kit of the Typhoon. It looks pretty magnificent in the box; I also bought some aftermarket items. I was very much inspired by a couple of builds on this forum, especially Christer A's build (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234972761-that-large-sharkmouthed-typhoon-from-airfix-update-2016-06-21-gun-bay-covers-build-paused-until-house-move-complete/) as well as georgeusa's build here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234964791-another-124-airfix-typhoon;-really-im-back/ (among others!)

DSC_5727_zpscsx66vkh.jpg

Some nice resin wheels from Barracuda, Eduard photo etch, and decals for MN875 by Dutch Decal.

01%20prelude7_zpscwp9t0tu.jpg

I've already spent a couple of weeks on it but frankly putting the cockpit together was so much fun I didn't stop to take any work in progress photos. All I have from the build is this phone taken with my iphone:

IMG_1098_zpsgtaj69ye.jpg

It shows dryfitting the Barracuda sheet, but you can also see that I'm already adding the pre-painted Eduard photo etch. I decided to add as much as possible and repaint most of it. I also don't really like the 2-d look of some parts (especially levers) so I'm adding a bit of primer to those parts to make them look more 3-d in the end.

Although the cockpit looks very complex, it goes together really easily and it's just very satisfying to work on this kit.

DSC_9314_zpsdegrlhce.jpg

I mainly used AK Interactive's aluminium (from their True Metal range) for the tubular frame.

DSC_9303_zpshk5vzupy.jpg

DSC_9309_zpsiwup2llq.jpg

I added seatbelts from Eduard/HGW. These needed some adjusting. Although marked as specifically for the Typhoon 1b, they appear to be a generic 1/24 Sutton harness; the kit seatbelts seem to be the Q-type.

DSC_9306_zps9fnbqgrg.jpg

DSC_9308_zps5aorkhhf.jpg

Finally, I also used decals from Airscale to enhance the cockpit, especially the instruments panel. The dials were finished with some Kristal Klear (used for the first time. Nice stuff!).

Thanks for looking, as always. Comments & feedback is welcome and appreciated, of course!

• Like 11

Watching with interest as I've got this in the stash but keep putting it back when I get it out!

Great back ground and sad fate of the aircraft and pilot.

Thanks! The size of the model and the sheer number of parts may be intimidating but so far it builds like a dream. It's such a fun build!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been working on the wing. Continued with AK paints, finished with AK weathering enamels and mr Paint. Details painted with Vallejo.

DSC_2846_zpsqsgjpeoj.jpg

Once again nothing but praise for the kit. All the parts (once cleaned up - LOTS of flash / mold marks) just snap together with very satisfying 'clicks', but I was a little disappointed that there was only one copy of decal 6 which is supposed to go on to both of the 'pouches' covering the fuel filler hatch.

DSC_2844_zpse3382few.jpg

Fitted the 'mystery lamps' as per the kit instructions and the discussion in the build threads linked above.

DSC_2842_zpsvvbempwt.jpg

Painted them with clear red and clear green.

DSC_2853_zpsvq40xpnr.jpg

Next step will be adding the guns and ammunition.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 7

How have I missed this?

It looks just about perfect!

One small tip though. Mounting framework for the guns should be in aluminium according to Steve Budd

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153596500892890&set=p.10153596500892890&type=3&theater

Hard evidence seems difficult to find though...

Thanks for your input - I really love your Typhoon build and if mine comes out looking even remotely as good as yours I'll be very happy.

About the colour - I did opt for the yellow colour based on a discussion on the Barracuda Studios Facebook page in June. There seems to have been a colour which is referred to as "Hawker Primer". This isn't exactly zinc chromate, but looks similar.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/848474938507986/permalink/1171300179558792/

"Hawker Primer"?

Well then, I'll just sit quiet and enjoy your build instead :banghead:

Oh, and thanks for your kind comments about mine Typhoon. Really appreciated!

as you said, nobody knows for sure what colour these things were so you and Steve might very well be correct too :)

• 1 month later...

Finally some progress. The weather has been too nice since August but I had a whole week off this week and finally managed to make some progress. For some reason finishing the wings took a long time.

I got the Eduard Brassin set for the guns. They are very nicely detailed and fit well overall, although I did had to cut off some material of each at the point where it fits through the slots in the gun bay but that section won't be seen anyway.

DSC_3800_zpsblgffwcl.jpg

The 20mm rounds are from the Brassin set, but the boxes from the PE detail set.

DSC_3835_zpscyeusldm.jpg

I've also all but finished the main wheels. Pretty happy with how these turned out. Weathered with Vallejo pigments.

DSC_3831_zpsw29ifrqz.jpg

I can now start thinking about putting the fuselage together:

DSC_3807_zpsjwz7dem3.jpg

Last glance at the interior :)

DSC_3821_zpsivyf9a2w.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 2

Those Brassin wheels sure are lovely!

I must say that all the Brassin stuff is taking things to another level. I just wish they had created some bronze landing gear as well...

Not only are your modelling skills excellent, your photography is amazing too!

I guess you're using a light-tent?

Good-bye interior! It was nice to see you!

• 1 month later...

what?? an update?

It's been a busy few weeks, not in the least because of taking care of a little project namely getting married...

th_14796389_1088570771263075_16274113667

Anyway, to business: the detail of the Brassin guns is really nice, but they're too small. I cut the barrels in half to extend them (the cut won't be visible in the fairings) 

06%20assembly_zpsckatswd7.jpg

The fit of the cowl panels was tricky. Some fairly large seems, which had to be filled and sanded and filled and sanded and filled and sanded.

DSC_3841_zpspxaed1vm.jpg

However, it is now, dare I say it, ready to be painted?

DSC_5216_zpsrvlagbk1.jpg

As always, thanks for looking!

Edited by elger
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Finished painting. I first painted the yellow id markings on the leading edges. Then I primed it black and painted the dark green.

DSC_7069_zpsohmi5rx3.jpg

I masked the dark green with blue tack and then painted the ocean gray. The final colour was the dark sea gray for the underside.

DSC_7577_zpsadgpxwzo.jpg

I've given it a clear coat and will give that some time to cure before I apply the decals.

DSC_7578_zpsqc8saz04.jpg

thanks for looking!

• Like 5