The Last Ship USS Nathan James DDG 151

So the bulk painting job is done. Only my 2nd build with the airbrush and the first involving multiple colours and lots of masking. Some flaws to be cleaned up but not too bad I think. Vallejo US Grey for the decks and Mr Hobby Grey for the vertical surfaces. Also Vallejo for the hull red and boot line and their Light Grey on the VLSs.

Will tutu up the mistakes with hairy stick and then start adding all the little detail bits.

A5BB7352-755A-4721-A9A8-C78F5B0C53E9_zps

DAFC24BB-9589-4A9D-9DBE-9C21F9C071AB_zps

BA927D5B-6D4A-44A4-B6D7-0073EB7A8641_zps

A7D7F5E7-708F-4865-879A-2993892A3675_zps

C4DC2E14-311D-4B60-BC44-311744C90AD2_zps

• Like 6

Thanks Gents. It has slowed down as I'm having airbrush problems. This airbrushing Mullarkey ain't as easy as it seems :)

Stealthman, the Halsey is possibly the primary ship used but the Dewey has also been used and even some scenes filmed on the Iowa. So I'm giving myself some little bit of littery licence and not being worried about being totally correct. I mean. it's Hollywood, what has accuracy got to do with anything? :D

• Like 1

Looking very tasty Sean. Trumpy Kirov next?

Just reached the episode of Chandler and Texs rescue from Roskov. Even Mrs Jockster is enjoying it. It looks like they used one of the Iowa's for the Kirov closeups, anyone know which one?

Thanks Beefy!

Started the decaling. For the danger circle I decided to do it in two halves rather than a single continuous decal

DD6B0BDD-9C3C-4DDD-B4CE-C461BB703CE4_zps

I'll let that dry before adding the rest

Cut the helipad decal into bits too for ease of fitting. Joined up nicely

7E7F17A0-9CD2-43FB-A39C-7524E0CCACAA_zps

The Nathan James badge came out nicely. I may have used too big a version, but it looks good

CDD5D2F0-F6A8-441F-BC6F-339ECF5CB183_zps

Up close not as neat but that's from my cutting around the edges rather than anything.

8F8FAE5D-96F0-4446-ADA0-A4D04942E2F4_zps

Tomorrow night I'll do the hull numbers

• Like 2

Just waiting for the last two episodes to hit the net, even Mrs Jockster recognised your build as Nathan James which is quite a feat considering she calls my Iwo Jima the Eewie Jeewie!

• Like 1

Thanks Gents and sorry for the slow progress.

Still working on the tiny bits. Bad eyesight, thick fingers and not the steadiest hands don't help.

First the CIWS. On the left the kit supplied weapons system and the one from Veteran Models on the right

B4C938AD-B86B-4CFA-8C48-DC66A7AF0D24_zps

And the 25mm chain guns left to right Trumpeter, Orange Hobby and Veteran Models

A3B307DA-85CE-402A-8C7F-6C247E40FBD1_zps

The Veteran one only comes with two guns and one barrel has been taken by the dreaded Carpet Monster. The Orange has 4 in the set but best of all the PE barrel is already embedded in the resin gun body. Really outstanding! Both Veteran & Orange come with PE stands around the weapon station

5C9C1E26-1ACD-420C-83AF-C38E0A227867_zps

P.S. There are spare crest decals if anyone is interested

• Like 1

A question for the experts: before adding the little bits what is the best method to highlight hatches etc? Dry brushing or a wash and what colour? All opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sean

A bit of both Sean, I use a pinwashing around the hatches of the base colour with a touch of black to create a light shadow then base colour with a touch of white drybrushed afterwards to bring out the detail.

Enjoying your build mate, now looking forward to watching the last two episodes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, charlie-mike-six said:

Super Job. Its a great show, just got done watching the 3rd season. Already have this kit and some goodies,

:D

I have spares of the crest decal if it's any use....