It isn't easy being green. 1/200

Hello all. It's great seeing the variety of subjects being covered, both in terms of time and geographical coverage.

For my entry I'm going with this kit; Hasegawa's 1/200 B738

Kulula-001_zpsru3itqik.jpg

Yes I know, another 737, not the most original of builds. However, you may have noticed that there were very few decals on display in that picture, and that is because I'm not going for the box scheme. Instead I'm using Draw Decal's offering to build a plane in the colours of everyone's favourite South African low-cost carrier. It's educational too!

Kulula-002_zpsju05q7jw.jpg

Not sure when I'll be able to start, but hopefully sometime in the coming week.

• Like 6

Well, the end of the week is here aaannndddd..... I have not finished the plane :P. Have made some progress however.
First I installed the bolt Hasegawa conveniently supplied as a noseweight and buttoned up the fuselage.

Kulula-004_zpsujjgebkq.jpg

Next up I installed the centre wing box. Looks like some reconstructive surgery will be required.

Kulula-005_zpsvtosbkh7.jpg

Applied some putty to blend in the transition, with some masking tape to protect the panel lines. That's still drying at the moment, will sand it down next session.

Kulula-006_zps2etv9ui4.jpg

The current state of affairs; no wings yet, but the engine nacelles are assembled, with some Vallejo Jet Exhaust on the hot end of the engine, as well as the compressor fan blades.

Kulula-003_zpstr8oziiv.jpg

• Like 2

First 1/200 entry?

No, but probably the first to be finished :winkgrin: .

I've just bought some Hasegawa DC-9s, so I'm interested to see how this 737 goes. Looking good so far Johnny and the choice of scheme is excellent!

Cliff

Slow but steady progress. Wings & winglets on, followed by Citadel Skull White primer. Put a yellow base coat on the engine nacelles in preparation for the green, as recommended in a build report for this livery I found floating around the internet.

Kulula-007_zps7eqf8a08.jpg

Kulula-008_zpsmhgsl16n.jpg

Kulula-011_zpsxxl7otqx.jpg

• Like 3

Made some more progress with a couple of rounds of painting.

Mr Hobby Aqueous 315 in the role of Boeing Grey

Kulula-015_zpselkdvcv0.jpg\

An undercoat of Nr 4 Yellow

Kulula-017_zpsib7wi3sp.jpg

And the final act: Nr 16 Yellow Green

Kulula-013_zpsuayl3liw.jpg

Plan for tomorrow is to do the anti-icing strips and then it's decal time.

• Like 4

Had a lot of time this week, so I've actually managed to get her finished!

The first order of business was to spray the de / anti-icing strips. I used Revell Aqua 90 and I think I thinned it too much because some of it managed to creep under the masking tape.

Kulula-018_zpscs2acnhs.jpg

Kulula-019_zpsh0d7e0pi.jpg

Next came the process of decaling. It was my first time using Draw Decals and they definitely take some getting used to. The decals are covered with a very large film, which means that the decals like to stick in place as soon as they hit the model, rather than float. This makes it difficult to get the larger decals positioned correctly, and I was unable to avoid the film wrinkling. Keeping the finished model out of direct lighting and not observing too closely is advised :banghead:

Kulula-020_zpsjbtkkmwp.jpg

After that it was on with the wheels and the go-pods, and this model is ready for the gallery!

Kulula-022_zpsv8hwauom.jpg

Kulula-023_zps7ljqq7wl.jpg

Kulula-025_zps9dmdc5uy.jpg

Actually, just realised there a couple more antennae that need sticking on, so not quite gallery material yet. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Edited by johnny_7713
  • Like 5

And calling the build officially done now. Here's a size comparison with the -200 model. More pictures of the finished build can be found in the gallery. Thanks for all the encouragement along the way!

Kulula-028_zpsk8gj5pmk.jpg

I'm staying in Africa for my next build, which you can find here

• Like 1