1:48 Monogram Bell AH-1 Cobra US Army "Sand Shark" Gulf War 1

Just finished this build earlier today, it's the old Monogram boxing of this kit from the early 80s, so raised panel lines and not much cockpit details, but I think it built up into a nice kit. I got a set of decals from a Revell boxing of the same kit for a Cobra used in the first Gulf War from another member here on BM (thank you!) and I painted it with Mr Paint and Mr Hobby paint. The only aftermarket was a Master 3 barrel 20mm cannon which was tricky to build but looks good I think. The most disappointing result is the turbine exhaust which defeated my attempts to get rid of it's seam line completely, if I build another one of these kits I think I'll splash out on the resin replacement by Werner's Wings in the States.

Bell_AH-1S_Cobra_Sand_Shark_finished_pro

Bell_AH-1S_Cobra_Sand_Shark_finished_fro

Bell_AH-1S_Cobra_Sand_Shark_finished_fro

Bell_AH-1S_Cobra_Sand_Shark_finished_rea

Bell_AH-1S_Cobra_Sand_Shark_finished_rea

Bell_AH-1S_Cobra_Sand_Shark_finished_fue

Bell_AH-1S_Cobra_Sand_Shark_finished_20m

Bell_AH-1S_Cobra_Sand_Shark_finished_coc

Bell_AH-1S_Cobra_Sand_Shark_finished_rot

The build thread can be seen here.

• Like 27

Thanks Dave!

Do you mean the small position lights on the wing stubs? Actually I'm not 100% sure about them, the Revell instructions for the Sand Shark version indicates to paint one side red and the other green, but in the photos of the real thing I can't tell if those lights are actually there.

I painted them with a base of Tamiya X-11 silver, and then clear red over one and clear green on the other

Thanks Dale!

Hmmmm, I can't see the marks you are seeing, but it could be my camera and photoshop? On the right side of the fuselage the fuel filler has a red round decal on it, and I tried AK fuel stains under it which was a first for me!

• Like 1

Ah, I think the pink is in fact the decals for the tops of the pylons which were on the decal sheet I had for the Revell "Sand Shark" boxing

I just had a look at the model and apart from the residue of the Flory models dark dirt wash I used, I can't see anything else, so it must be my camera or the way I edited it on photoshop (using smart fix). I may well try photographing it again and see how that area looks on a new photo.

That is a lovely looking Heli, I've always thought the Cobra was a much better looking bird than the Apache, but then maybe that's just me.

As regards to the pink marks (they're definitely pink to me) I've taken the liberty of taking a couple of pictures of what I see on my monitor. I hope they'll be of some use to you. Possible UV/flash reaction with the wash? It's strange.

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

• Like 3

I can see now the pink effect in the photos, it's something to do with the photos as with the mark 1 eyeball it's not there. Something that I've never noted in other photos, it's a head scratcher!

• Like 1

Great looking Cobra,i also see pink smudges,it looks to me like a chemical reaction with maybe the decal fixer you used,as its in area,s were you would naturally hold the model,ie on the nose and around the bottom of the skids,or something in the filler make up,as its also on the tail boom,were you would expect to sand a seam.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I had my wife and daughter have a look at it and they noticed the pink straight away.... Bugger! I'm red-green colour blind and at times it definitely catches me out. The picture above from the build thread shows the application of Mr Surfacer to various areas prior to the final coat of black primer, but on the subsequent top coat photos it does not show through (accoring to my daughter Lucy with normal colour perception!) Thinking back now, I applied a gloss coat from a rattle can which slightly "melted" the top coat of paint (which actually gave a nice effect in places I thought) but now might have the Mr Surfacer filler showing through giving that pink effect....

Short of repainting the whole thing I think I'll have to live with it! I guess I'll chalk it up to experience!

• Like 1

Looks like pshop used the existing levels to overcompensate and it came out strangely pink. I'd do a manual adjustment of your levels to avoid that in the future.

That's what I was thinking too (perhaps wishfully!) but no, the pink is there in real life according to my not red-green colour blind wife and daughter....

Ironically I tend to use a lot of the auto-settings when editing pictures with photoshop because otherwise I'd probably make some mad changes to the colour settings without realising it!

For my money I'll bet that rattle can is your culprit, it does look like a colour bleeding through. Like you say, you can only learn from it. It is a shame, seeing the effort you've put in and the otherwise fantastic end result. But on the other hand, perhaps some interesting side story could be thought up, a slightly merry group of aircrew deciding to paint a piece of government property hot pink? Then being made to scrub most of it off? Could make for a unique diorama. :lol:

• Like 1

It looks great! The weathering is really subtle and works a treat. Nice addition to the Heli III GB. I wondered about the pink colour too and was going to ask about it. I does look like part of the colour scheme though so I would just bluff it out!!

I once had a model where I tried out the "oil colour dot" technique, where you put tiny dots of various colours down and mush them all together. The yellow oil paint I used showed up really strongly as greeny-yellow under some lighting and on camera, to the extent that I ended up repainting it. I haven't used that technique since!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1