Launch 14 - Cooper's Rocket

Hey Guys,

Just to touch base here. The pedestal is moving forward at a steady pace.  This weeks work was to make all the molds for the inner support structure.

If you have worked with mold making, you know that the rubber needs to cure over night.  seven days, seven molds...IMG_1775_zpssroqlszv.jpg

IMG_1776_zpsczuq3str.jpg

That's it for the mold making for now.  This week is casting the resin for the inner support. Be back with the casting.

Later All

• Like 1

Hey Sarge,  This is just going to be a decoration to doll up the pedestal a bit. No lighting and the coloring will be just a "stain" sort of affair. I don't want to much attention drawn to under the Dio, just enough to know it's there.  Altho I am thinking of lighting the Dio. Everything is so small, not quite sure how to get things to work out, but I'm looking into it.

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

An other quick update.  After I cast the parts for the end panel, I thought that these turned out good, so I put one of the end panels together...

IMG_1779_zpsv8j8srrl.jpg

IMG_1777_zpsisjtaiej.jpg

I can't get any more mold material until this weekend, so back to casting.

Be back later all, Rich

• Like 4

Tzulscha,

The individual panels are 120mm x 50mm. 12c x 5c.  The entire end panel is 31.5c x 12.5c. 315mm x 12.5mm.  12.5 inches x 5 inches.

Thanks for looking. I'm just getting started. check back again.

• 3 weeks later...

That colour photo of the ramp just makes me think of the THOR rocket launch site. Cylinder trailers power unit behind a blast wall . . .

I thanks you also for showing the useful aid to resin copies, trouble is Lego is so dammed expensive  :doh:

Mancunian airman,

Thanks for looking.  I'm a scratch model builder, so, lots of found stuff to build with. I get my Lego's at a used toy shop, so I pay a small fraction of the original cost. I saw the cost the other day when shopping.  $20.00 US for a very small pack of new.  Way to expensive.

Hey All,

The build has stalled recently. The DIO lost it's home in the model room. I need to find a new home by rearranging the place a bit. I have been feeling the need to get back to this build.  The weather has turned to Fall and I'm inside more these days. This week would be a good time to clean house and find a home for this big build.

I'll be back shortly.  Thanks, Rich

• Like 2

Hey Altogether,

A quick note:  The hobby room has been rearranged, I'm now back to work on the DIO.  

Be back in a bit with an update.

• Like 1

Hey All,

I thank everyone for looking, it has been a slow start.

I got the model room arranged so the DIO has a home. I took the last few days to slowly get back into this build.  I have just finished the other end panel.

fresh pour in the molds...

IMG_1905_zpsgdolg200.jpg

fresh cast out of the molds...

IMG_1906_zpsp9tupt8o.jpg

freshly primered end panels...

IMG_1907_zpssmvpoxth.jpg

The side panels are a bit more complex, in that I will have about 10-12 panels to put together for a side.  I will have only one electrical panel on each side, so that means that I will have to cast all the other panels together just to make a side.

Be back with a fresh side panel...Thanks for lookin'

• Like 1

Thanks Manfred,  I'm having fun now, taking my time, whenever.  I am also looking forward to working with Leon's tower kit here in the future. Stay tuned.

Hi Rich,

I'm curious what LVM will present at the ScaleModel World Show in Telford in two weeks. denknf8.gif  Their last update (08/17/16) was over two months ago ...  analintruder.gif

What LUT scale are you planning to build?   up040577.gif 

This whole DIO is at 1/110 scale. Leon's tower is at 1/110 also, so I better build the MSS at 1/110 to.  At this scale all is good to go, but the people figures are very very small.

Be back later...Thanks

Hey All,

More work on the pedestal.  I have finished with the first long side of the base.  These are the same panels as the ends, but just more of them to fill the long side.  

Still working on this project, just taking a relaxed approach.

The molds...

IMG_1910_zpsdv78giba.jpg

The casts...

IMG_1911_zpslefi5zxr.jpg

The finished long side...

IMG_1918_zps7wqoivmm.jpg

IMG_1919_zps9fxkfpor.jpg

Next up is the other side,  be back soon,  Thanks for looking.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hey All,

I'm finally back to work on the DIO.  I had a situation that delayed me from working on this project.

How many of you builders out there have need for a certain tool, but don't have one?  The two month delay on this build had to do with a simple rounding of the corners on the base plate.  When I conceived this project, I did not need to see the base plate.  However plans change, and I now had exposed corners on the base plate. I did not own a router to cut the corners, I did not want to spend $300. to buy one for a 1 minute project.  And I found only one at a rental place, (45 minute drive) but it was a very large one for industrial use.  I spent nearly a month asking everybody I could think of to barrow one.  No luck.  I found one this morning at my brother-in-law's.  Who knew?  A driver over to say Hi, and 60 seconds later I was back on track again.

I have been working on other parts of the build, and getting the base ready to finish.  With the corners being done this morning, I'll post some photos in a few days of the finishing of the base pedestal.

Later, RichO

Hi Rich, great stuff. You are of course slightly mad to have even considered such a huge project but wow! You're castings are superb.

I've been casting with plaster of Paris lately, rather than resin, but your use of Lego in the mould-making process is a brilliant idea and one I shall definitely use in the future.

Rearguards

Badder

• Like 1

Thanks Badder!    When I originally started this idea, I had not considered the use of resin for the small panels.  I was going to build each one separately out of styrene. It was a much easier to cast multiples out of resin.  I had not considered the weight of the resin parts.  My parts are on the small side, so not a terrible amount of weight for the resin tho.  

I have been following your build and was wondering about the weight of you casting with plaster?  Nice looking structures and great weathering details, and altho not real huge, I bet your building will add up to some weight when finished. I will continue to watch to see how you support the weight and of course the great work on your build.

Thanks!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RichO said:

Thanks Badder!    When I originally started this idea, I had not considered the use of resin for the small panels.  I was going to build each one separately out of styrene. It was a much easier to cast multiples out of resin.  I had not considered the weight of the resin parts.  My parts are on the small side, so not a terrible amount of weight for the resin tho.  

I have been following your build and was wondering about the weight of you casting with plaster?  Nice looking structures and great weathering details, and altho not real huge, I bet your building will add up to some weight when finished. I will continue to watch to see how you support the weight and of course the great work on your build.

Thanks!

Hi Rich, I made enquiries about resin at my LHS, but they don't stock it because it 'goes off' apparently. And they said it was very expensive. I have no idea how much the stuff costs, but I would imagine you've spent a fair bit. So I've used plaster of Paris purely on financial grounds. I managed to cut down the weight of the building a bit by using the original kit parts for the outer gable wall and the collapsed inner-outer side wall, but all the rest is plaster. I haven't weighed it but I'm guessing it's somewhere a approaching 2kg. The entire dio will obviously be quite heavy, but I'm not too concerned so long as the frame holds!

Thanks for following and thanks for the kind remarks,

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1