Launch 14 - Cooper's Rocket

Thanks Pete.

Hey All,

I have finished with the construction of all four sides of my internal support structure.  The construction process was the same for all the sides...

Fresh from the molds...

IMG_1934_zpsfkhyqryv.jpg 

Side four assembled...

IMG_2033_zpsrsuq4bqj.jpg

I sprinkled some salt over the primer to give the surface a little variation, then painted with a light grey...

IMG_2029_zpsj9lvbuvj.jpg

IMG_2031_zpscfebqf5o.jpg

Four new sides to the internal support structure...

IMG_2034_zpsjd6e6rrw.jpg

That's a bunch of computers.

Next up is doing the final prep of the base plate.  Be back shortly...

Rich

• Like 4

Hey Guys,

A little more work done today.  I have smooth sanded the base plate. And then primered and painted.  I also primered and painted the lattice fence that goes around the perimeter of the base plate.

I installed a little curb so that the central support structure has a "foot" for the casting to rest against.

IMG_2035_zps3ixsx8ou.jpg

IMG_2036_zpso1aknxn4.jpg

The primer is a medium grey. The paint is a hammered silver color.

IMG_2037_zpsaq2zqo0j.jpg

IMG_2038_zps9pgp9gu1.jpg

The finished lattice fence...

IMG_2039_zpsjmzvuy0n.jpg

IMG_2040_zps6mnxp6y7.jpg

That's it for now.  Next up is securing the inner support structure.

Be back shortly...

• Like 3

Today I got ready to install the central support structure. I had to put the brakes on for this install.  The end panels of the support are quite stiff and ridged. The size of the panels and the compact nature makes the end panels very solid.

IMG_2041_zpscgsv4ik5.jpg

However when I got ready to work with the long sides, I discovered that the panels tended to bend quite a bit...

IMG_2042_zpsukbku3eq.jpg

I can't be having a bendy panel.  The resin would crack off and things would fall apart.  I had to think of a stiffener that didn't weigh to much.  A 3/16 pine board.

IMG_2044_zpsiao0lr0d.jpg

Four new support sides ready for install as soon as the epoxie dries.

IMG_2045_zpsndwuurk5.jpg

I'll be back with the install of the central support structure.

Later All.

• Like 3

Hey DIO Builders,

Everything went as planed for today. A rarity these days.  The inner support structure is now complete and installed.  The foundation curb I installed earlier did its job great, and all locked into place just fine.

IMG_2047_zpsykcadctf.jpg

IMG_2046_zpsomuhdeql.jpg

The impromptu use of the pine boards caused me to re-cut the vinyl support on the inside so the boards would all fit into place.  But no worries, all went well. I did install corner braces at the last minute to help hold the top corners together.

IMG_2048_zps3qxvs6vr.jpg

Now this part of the build is complete...

IMG_2050_zpsgwkz9ccc.jpg

IMG_2049_zpspftvqohl.jpg

IMG_2051_zpsid0pke6s.jpg

I'm considering putting a color tint onto some of the computers, I will wait until I have looked at it with the fence up and the top down to decide.

Next up is the out side fence around the base plate.

Be Back Later. RichO

• Like 5

Hey Guys,

Today's report is a little on the slow side.  Unanticipated corrections to be made.  When I did my original mock up of my fence parts, I used the somewhat cleaned up version of the parts to get an idea of how thing might fit together.  Today I cleaned up the parts for final install and now things don't fit so well.  I sanded my parts square and level so everything fit real nice...

The first end to be fitted...

IMG_2052_zps9ffj7hpv.jpg

When I fit the fence to the corner posts, I had developed gaps at the corners that needed to be filled.

IMG_2057_zpsmnnpiffp.jpg

The rest of the day has been spent building up layers of styrene and filing to the shape I need.

IMG_2053_zpsc9si8gv0.jpg

I'll get everything to final shape and repaint the corners...

IMG_2056_zpsjiawmywm.jpg

Now I have to do the rest of the corners.  I'll be back when I finish repainting the corners

Thanks All for watching

RichO

P.S.  During my time layering and filing styrene, I started to secure the ends of the internal support structure at the corners, like so...

IMG_2055_zps6mo58nat.jpg

Just making sure thing are tight at the corners...and I'm thinking along with Hendie, that I will introduce some very light staining,  just to add a little more interest.  Thanks Allen.

• Like 5

Hey Kev,  Glad you found this build.  I'm bouncing back and forth between this and the MAZ build.  I have been in a DIO mode for a bit so I thought I would spend some time here for a while.

• Like 1

Hey Manfred,  I'm not sure what you mean by "reference photos".  I didn't have any thing to look at when I put this together.  The only photos are the ones I have shown here in this WIP.   I don't have a plan except as I go, and thinking about the current problem.  This whole pedestal is a "fly by the seat of your pants" sort of thing.  I can however take more photos if you have a question on how I constructed the pedestal.  Let me know.

Hi All,

I got the new fence built and installed.  Everything looks good.  except the color.  I tried to put some color onto the computers before the fence went up, but I didn't like the color as soon as I sprayed it on. The color at the bottom just didn't feel right for me, and drew to much attention to the base.  I only painted a couple of the computers and left it at that.

The finished fence...

IMG_2058_zpskuf1zhb9.jpg

Some colors...IMG_2059_zpslqjrnbt9.jpg

IMG_2060_zpsbhpkymwc.jpg

With the lid on in the light...

IMG_2062_zpsglelb0n9.jpg

IMG_2061_zpsb8x9jmsn.jpg

In all fairness, the photos show the color in a bright daylight setting by the window.  When I look at the pedestal in room light, the computers are difficult to notice and color is very light.  So I think it's a good compromise for now.  I can always change it later if I need to.

I have one more component of the pedestal to work on.  The "Lid" for this, to cover it all up.  

That's it for now. Thanks for watching.

RichO

• Like 4

Hi Rich.

That's looking smart.

Just one point. I was watching and thinking that you were going to paint the computers to look realistic/semi-realistic.... with white 'spools' and coloured buttons and lights etc. I know that's a long and fiddly job, and much of it won't be easily visible, and it is just a base after all, so I understand why you went for plain grey.

But how about putting a few LED's in there, either low down or high up so as to cast raking light over the computers? It would bring out the details and look rather good I think.

Rearguards,

Badder.

1 minute ago, Badder said:

But how about putting a few LED's in there, either low down or high up so as to cast raking light over the computers? It would bring out the details and look rather good I think.

Careful Badder - you will be suggesting spinning tape reels next........

• Like 1

bar side,  spinning tape reels?  Don't give him any ideas.  And wasn't you that suggested moving tracks on the crawler?

• Like 1

Hey Altogether,

The top of the pedestal is now complete.  This was a simple part of the build, just a bit time consuming.  I just drilled holes in the corners to match the holes in the base plate,  and presto.

The corner hole... The masonite is a tough thing to work with.

IMG_2064_zpshuy9z5nl.jpg

I rounded the corners and bolted everything into place

IMG_2065_zps5m59zk4y.jpg

IMG_2066_zpstkqgharl.jpg

I actually got the corners to line up.  Now I am ready to start the Diorama proper.  I will take a day or two to tighten up the entire pedestal.  I noticed that the masonite tends to bend just slightly, so I will add bracing, straighten up the fence, level things out, and just get everything tight.

IMG_2067_zpsjmji9zxh.jpg

I would like to also clean up the presentation a bit. I will try to put a "dress cap" on the raw wood, and around the top of the fence, just to look better.

I'll give you a photo or two of how I finish all this up.  But now it's time to think about the diorama and how to make a convincing tarmac.

I'll be back with a million questions.  Thanks All

RichO

• Like 3

10 hours ago, RichO said:

Hey Altogether,

The top of the pedestal is now complete.  This was a simple part of the build, just a bit time consuming.  I just drilled holes in the corners to match the holes in the base plate,  and presto.

The corner hole... The masonite is a tough thing to work with.

IMG_2064_zpshuy9z5nl.jpg

I rounded the corners and bolted everything into place

IMG_2065_zps5m59zk4y.jpg

IMG_2066_zpstkqgharl.jpg

I actually got the corners to line up.  Now I am ready to start the Diorama proper.  I will take a day or two to tighten up the entire pedestal.  I noticed that the masonite tends to bend just slightly, so I will add bracing, straighten up the fence, level things out, and just get everything tight.

IMG_2067_zpsjmji9zxh.jpg

I would like to also clean up the presentation a bit. I will try to put a "dress cap" on the raw wood, and around the top of the fence, just to look better.

I'll give you a photo or two of how I finish all this up.  But now it's time to think about the diorama and how to make a convincing tarmac.

I'll be back with a million questions.  Thanks All

RichO

Hi Rich,

The LED certainly does the job! Don't forget to spray over the green and red computers!

What colour tarmac are you going to go for, fresh and black or a bit older and grey?

Rearguards,

Badder

Badder,

I plan on doing a used grey tarmac.  The reference photos look like a good used concrete.  The material I plan on using is a concrete vinyl tile, that looks very convincingly like concrete.  I will look at the scale of the material when I dig all the ground stuff out of storage today.

Back to finish off the pedestal.

• Like 2

Hey Guys,

I have been playing around with the layout of my tarmac, and trying to figure out how much space it will take.  I have no NASA plans on the scale or exact measurements of the concrete.  I have looked at a lot of photos, and using my artistic eye, I have a layout that is very close to the photos.  I will show the photos when I post the individual construction of those components.  

What I have done is to do a close layout of the launch ramp, and using sight indicators, I have a good layout of where the concrete will be poured.

Patented cereal box...

IMG_2068_zpswom2j8vr.jpg

Getting very close...

IMG_2071_zpsflwuwtkl.jpg

Got it...

IMG_2072_zpsilku0fbc.jpg

First, I have to get the final measurements that I will use for the ramp and pad.  I want to build the ramp and pad so I can remove these for travel, and stow under the tarmac.  I have looked at a hundred photos of this complex and I cant find one that shows a big plastic base for everything to stand on.  

IMG_2073_zps8vf6fxnu.jpg

I have to get my exact measurements, and then I will have a square base to build the infield and back tarmac.  So before anything else, I have to do a detailed layout of the ramp and pad.  

That's up next, I still have to do my clean up finish work on the pedestal before I lay any tile for the tarmac.

Thanks for watching,

Rich

• Like 5