Launch 14 - Cooper's Rocket

• 4 weeks later...

Hey All,

So the goal here recently is to post at least once a month, or more as needed.  Even if the build agrees or not.

The last posting was dealing with the "cat-astrophe" and the mess they left with the build.  After an analysis of the disaster, most of the damage was just visual.  The Launch Tower is an other story tho.

The tractor and crane were separated at the swivel point. 

Ur5zA1.jpgThis was just a matter of setting upright and re-securing the crane to the tractor.  The top rigging is a mess and will have to be re-strung......

SS3TW4.jpg

Except for the top rigging, all is safe with the tractor/crane combo.

ArHnQL.jpg

The next thing to analyze was the Service Tower.  I really dodged a bullet with this one.  I thought that the thing was really badly bent.

ittGWW.jpg

However upon farther inspection, I had forgot that these two parts had not been secured together, and were in fact, just sitting on top of the railcar.

No damage that I could see.  Just put these back together.

E6LhBC.jpg

Now comes the crying time.  

The Launch Tower is bent and broken (beyond repair?).

o3k0UK.jpg

The top part of the tower is simply broken off altogether.  A couple of loose parts, and the bottom of the tower.

This may yet be salvageable.  I will do a much more comprehensive look when I get to that part again, but for now, I will stash these components inside the travel box and deal with each when I start that part of the build again.

gvfyRV.jpg

Things look a bit naked for now, but I can now get back to the task at hand.  More vehicles and tires.

cHUTMG.jpg

Next time I should be able to show some progress with this build.  Stay Tuned!

Thanks All........

• Like 3

Your broken launch tower still looks better than most of my builds.  I couldn’t scrap that.  Must be fixable, surely.  Looking forward to these vehicles

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the commiserations guys, it was nice to know I had some company.

Hey Altogether,

So after the latest misfire and subsequent launch pad destruction, everything has been cleaned up and ready for rebuilding.

The first thing I wanted to do was to repair the launch pad rails and stairs.  To my good fortune, the rails and stairs all broke off the pad as whole parts.  All I had to do was to re-glue these into place.

5dK1mt.jpg

USdceb.jpg

qny9c6.jpg

now that the launch pad has been repaired and placed back in the Dio, all the grounds have been scraped clean and ready to start.

cHUTMG.jpg

The first thing was to take a break from molding resin for a bit and build something.  So I will start with the storage tanks at the bottom left in the photo.

dDXTUl.jpg

p9y3cT.jpg

These four tanks and support pipping just sort of hang out down here out of the way of any damage.  I spent quit some time looking through my mourgue, and this is the only photo I have of this.  So some leeway on the correct proportions and details, that I just went by the photo. And with things I can't see, I raided the greebles stash.

fm6KlO.jpg

M5tyov.jpg

Building these things was totally by eye.  I started with the storage tanks.  I had planed and built these tanks out of scrap tubbing and plastic bottles.  However I could not get the glue to hold things together, so I just went for wood dowels.

Now, I just start adding things that look good and looked like the photo.

W2Nazq.jpg

The "greebles" stash added a lot to this part of the build.

Tg81hN.jpg

JjZiHN.jpg

khqtCT.jpg

QoBBWS.jpg

Fm5d8v.jpg

Hac7Vd.jpg

urVof2.jpg

0rsZuL.jpg

This is the current state of affairs.....

uKbHYR.jpg

I still have a bit to do with this part of the build, but I'm having fun just adding things, but staying true to the Revell feel.

I'll be back with a bit more here at the storage tank build.  Thanks all for watching!

P.S. Todays movie : Plan Nine from Outer Space.  How can it get any better.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, RichO said:

P.S. Todays movie : Plan Nine from Outer Space.  How can it get any better.

Erm, NOT watching it? Legendary stuff, yes. But fairly awful. More work on this excellent tank farm would relax you much more. :poke:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That tank farm is looking good.  Makes me think of a place we often go for a weekend.  It is on the edge of a pre war airship station & there are various buildings around.  The best I can figure it is that we stay in what was the hydrogen production & storage site.  So lots of concrete bases & bits but I would love to have seen it with the pipework & tanks there

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Erm, NOT watching it? Legendary stuff, yes. But fairly awful. More work on this excellent tank farm would relax you much more. :poke:

Hi Rich and Pete, believe it or not, I saw a 2021 film the other day which is, I am afraid, going to overtake Plan 9 as THE WORST FILM EVER MADE. Whilst Plan 9 is hilariously (and completely by accident) funny, there are legitimate reasons for it being so 'bad'. The 2021 film 'A mother of no destination', also a sci-fi, has NO EXCUSES whatsoever. Can you believe it's SO BAD they couldn't even afford to show an arsonist's  gasoline 'fuse trail' actually catch fire when ignited? And then you get the camera 'climbing the stairs' with smoke billowing from the bottom of the screen, but that smoke moves in direct relationship to the movement of the camera, before finally some flames DO appear, but they too are fixed 'centre screen' even as the camera pans across lol. As for the acting? Well, it's on a par with Plan 9 at best.  And the plot is ridiculous, and the spaceship? I think that was mostly bits of a camera drone, and maybe a desk fan. I highly recommend you watch it.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Rich, As always, truly awesome stuff. And there was me yesterday getting annoyed whilst trying and failing to make some large hinges for a pair of barn doors in 1/35th!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,  Time for another update,

I have finished with the "tank farm" and all the details for this little corner of the build.  I still have to settle all this into the landscape, but the concrete pad is done.

With all the random stuff on the pad, I just took some photos of everything.

This is just about where all this lives.

7gOYTK.jpg

Once I figured out where things sit, it was time to paint all and secure to the concrete.  I cut a styrene shape to adhere the concrete tiles to.

rQdCEJ.jpg

Once the tiles were secured, it was more details.

DvhiSi.jpg

When I had enough fun with all this, it was time to secure everything down for transport.

GttsHD.jpg

fTdGxE.jpg

cPgVRK.jpg

I04Mpw.jpg

lwuaT1.jpg

5AgMP5.jpg

A bit of landscape work and this is finished.  I also have another tank to build for the back of the project.  

I'll be back with more tank details for the other area behind the launch pad.

Thanks All for looking.

• Like 4

Hi Rich,

That took several minutes for the pics to load up on my laptop, but it was worth the wait.

Brilliant 'stuff'.

I do wonder if the floor would be covered with 'tiles' though. I could be wrong, but I'd think they are more likely 'squares of poured concrete'?

TC,

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Badder,   the "tiles" in the real setting are poured concrete.  Correct guess.  When you look at the photo, I'm guessing 10 x 10 feet or so, they even looks a bit tan/pinkish.  And mine have oil stains.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RichO said:

Badder,   the "tiles" in the real setting are poured concrete.  Correct guess.  When you look at the photo, I'm guessing 10 x 10 feet or so, they even looks a bit tan/pinkish.  And mine have oil stains.

The realism was always beyond doubt lol. Anyway, I'm one to talk, I've always pronounced 'dio' as 'deo', knowing full well that I'm pronouncing it wrong, and I've never been able to break the habit. So calling the flooring of that site 'tiles' is but a mote in the eye of a gnat. But then again the flooring on your diorama IS made up of 'tiles'. ............ I'll shut up lol. Great to see things moving along.

Rearguards,

Badder

On 4/28/2021 at 2:41 AM, RichO said:

Hi Rich,

it's not that important, but I think that the concrete fields are a bit larger. If you take the transporter with about 15 feet long as a reference, then the concrete fields should be about 18 x 18 feetup035091.gif But okay, that's your artistic freedom ... :penguin:

x925hp.jpg

Joking aside, Rich, you did a great job with the tank farm. smiley250.gif

But take good care of your cats! up040577.gif

• 8 months later...