Launch 14 - Cooper's Rocket

Hey Everyone,

Just a tiny post for today.  

I got the masonite top stiffened and it's ready for the tarmac.

Very simple, a couple of stiffeners and some tiny screws...

IMG_2075_zpsfpnytwa5.jpg

This doesn't seem like much when looking, but the first square of concrete has been poured!...

IMG_2074_zpsn1ptrwkj.jpg

The Tarmac is now under construction...be back later all

• Like 4

Today I finished cutting the tiles for the tarmac, and got a good layout of everything I needed.

IMG_2077_zps1j1pg0qa.jpg

IMG_2076_zpsu6fevsna.jpg

The next thing to do is get all this secured so it doesn't move.

Be Back Later...

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

Hey All,

So, after a year of not working on this project, it's time to get back to work.  The Maz project is rapidly coming to a close and it's time to space out with this build again.

I dug out the Dio and got all the junk off of it.  Actually it was only buried with a stack of modeling magazines, altho I didn't get a photo of that.  After this time, I got a good idea of how the pedestal performed under the abuse. 

I suspected when I put this together, that I might have to build a curb to help the plastic fence stay in place...

pmy4wmQFj

poa4fooGj

You can see how the fence has come apart at the corners.  I need to find a better glue for the corners and at the bottom I will build a small curb that will act as a retainer for the fence.  A simple solution that will hold the fence ridged. 

In the photo below, you can see the different color tiles in the layout.  Now that I've had some time, I don't like the color change quite so much.  I have the replacement tiles ready to cut so all the "concrete" will have a much closer appearance in color. I like the lighter colored ones that are much closer in appearance to the concrete in the NASA photos ( I'll show those later). Then I can change things a bit later on with some weathering and stains.

pm7RE4Nuj

The other issue I'm working on is trying to locate scale figures that are this small,(1/110).  I have located several architectural model supply sites that do sell figures.  I have a couple different sizes on the way, and I have two sizes to work with at the moment. 

pm4H7ALNj

The guys above are about 15mm tall.

poowjAVxj

These guys are about 18mm tall.

I have another size I can remember I ordered, that is about 7mm tall.  I think that one will be way to small.  

The figures in the first photo are a good size but I only have six figures.  In the second photo I sort of feel that theses figures might be, ever so slightly to big.  However these are close enough in size that I think I can stylize them enough to look good and reduce the size a bit, and I can get these in bags of 100 figures.

In any case, all the figures that I want to put into the scene will just be place holders, and I wont be detailing these at all.  Just like in an architectural presentation. Just to show scale. 

I'll find the correct size (or at least as close as I can).  I have seen photos of the launch pad just before lift off, and it seems that hundreds of people are there in some sort of capacity. 

This is the first report in just over a year, with many more to come.  So hang in there all, the reports will be slow at first but I have a ton of things to do before lift off and the count down is on.

Thanks, Rich

• Like 3

I've used an architectural modelling supply shop in London called 4D several times for various things - they have a huge range of 1:100 scale figures

http://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Model-Detail/1-100-Scale/Figures

I used their 1:200 scale figures in my Oil Platform build two years ago and they did the job well.

Kallisti,  I remember the oil rig build and the people.  I checked out the selection from your modelshop.  I think the 1/100 figures set that I just got in the mail is the same as one of the set from your modelshop.  I have a few more sizes coming in the mail, I'll make a decision when I can compare them all together.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Hey Dio Builders,

I managed to get a little work done on this project this week. I am still acquiring materials for the emedeate part of the build.  

After last post I got the inside curbs built and painted and installed.  This was a  really nice improvement.  It made the fence structure so much more stiff and solid.  

poKExFLwj

It dose not look like much, just a small strip of hard wood, paint, and I have a solid curb, installed.

poEXdOPsj

This curb goes right around all four sides now.

The other thing I needed to do from last post is to re cut the tyles that make up the concrete slabs for the parking lot.

You can see in this old photo below, that the color of a lot of the tyles is much more tan colored than the lighter ones.

pm7RE4Nuj

Mercury-Atlas--'Mercury binder; 10D; static test; 9-6-59

In the photo above you can see that all the poured pads of concrete that make up the tarmak, are all about the same color of light gray.

I spent all day re-cutting the tyles.

I think the new lighter tyles look and feel much better now.

pnnsrToJj

pnUlixJOj

I also worked on trying to get some textured siding that would replicate the Revell kit...

poPsFPpdj

I managed to order several samples of siding from model railroad detailers, however the siding did not match.  I still have to generate the patterns for the wall that I'm try to build and then I'll figure out how to replicate this siding.

I knew the first few reports would be slow in coming along, but things are picking up pace...

Thanks for looking..........

• Like 4

Thanks Kev,  I'm waiting on final supplies for the Maz build, so time to spend here for now, however slow.

Hey All,

I think I came up with a good solution for the textured walls I need to build.  Once I get the final measurements for the wall, I will know for sure about the material I need.  I have a stash of kit parts for this build that I think I can extend the wall to the length I need.

Front wall....

pmY2kMfvj

Back wall...

posGc45Nj

I will have to clean up these parts real good and try to assemble these so the texture matches all around the structure.  The trick is to show no seams.  Once I get this figured out I have to think about where the openings will be.  All to come later.

At the same time I'm trying to get this sorted, I still have to think down the road about 9 months.  I have a situation that if I don't get it sorted real soon, I could get into trouble much later on.

The Revell kit stops at just the launch pad.  The Service Tower I want to add rolls on a track system.  You can see below that the tracks are raised (I marked an x) and are on the outside of the access stairs (red arrow)...

pm3G7zXFj

I have to be careful and make sure that the tyles I cut now will include some support for the Service Tower Rails..  You can see (at the red arrow) that I have not considered, at this point, the width of the tyle to support the rail tracks ( red lines). If I want to lift this out for stow,  I need to recut this tyle to make sure that it will support the rail system.

pnFRXeCVj

A few more adjustments to the tyles and I will be ready to secure things more permanent.

So far, this build is forcing me to consider things quit a ways down the road.  I'll get this all sorted, and then get back to pouring the concrete tarmak.

Thanks for watching.

• Like 4

Hey People,

I have worked out the final geometry for the ramp angle.  Not hard to do, just the exact angle required for the amount of room I have to work with.

Final answer....

po4ws28Oj

Now that I have the angle settled, it was time to start with the wall construction (a popular thing in the U.S. right now).

powYRd82j

I have found that with the wall material I have (not much), I am still short a bit.  I had to cast a section of wall to get enough to finish this base.

pn2TZnhEj

More on that, when things set and dry over the next few days.

Interesting how my geometry just happen to match one of the old kit parts...

pnYWZmSKj

So these are final parts I have to work with to build the wall.  Just a little part short and I will be complete with all the wall material.

Time to start the wall construction...

pnepK3xHj

A milestone here...these are the first two parts to be joined in this build.  This is the start of the back wall of the launch ramp.  I should have this block built in a few days if all goes well.

I'll be back in a bit with the finished ramp block.

Thanks for watching.........

• Like 1

Hey All,

The building of the Ramp Block went slow but good.  I have finished with the basic construction of the walls and have built the block to a good stopping point for now.

With the casting of an extra wall section done, I started attaching the wall units together.  This process started with cutting the openings, and framing them.

pm0RzlCbj

po1nQ85xj

Always checking for fit and scale...

podFHr5Xj

pn3ck8ORj

Once I got all the openings rendered on the front side, it was time for the back side...

pm6FTbgHj

With the new cast resin wall section...

pmES1Rg1j

Now I have the new Ramp Block constructed, things look OK, for now.

pnpGIFmij

pmTn2aU3j

I think I'll work on the Ramp Block Piping for a bit next.

Be back in a while....Thanks for looking!

• Like 6

Hi Rich,

the Launch Ramp is coming along amazingly. smiley250.gif

Can't wait to see the whole Piping system smiley201.gif and later on the tricky Service Towercant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif

Keep on scratching, I stay tuned ... popcorn.gif

Thanks Manfred.  I plan on using your by now, world famous, rod bending technique for the piping.  As you know, I have a bit of bending to do to make this build look more like the real deal.

Today is the start of the Launch Pad and all the plumbing that is involved with that end of the ramp.  The trick is to make my new additions look like the old Revell kit.  I'm not sure yet about Leon's kit and how complicated it will be, (altho the parts in the box look real complicated)  I haven't decided to use Leon's kit just yet, or try to use this as a pattern and build the Launch Tower out of styrene.  I'll decide all that when I get there.

The Service Tower will be totally scratch built.  I only have a few photos to build by.

Thanks for following along.  I always need a critical eye to point things out that I don't see.

Rich.........

• Like 2

Thanks Rich for your nice compliments regarding my BRBT (Balsa Rod Bending Technique), which has really proven itself. top2.gif

Maybe you know these photos (Source: NASA), maybe not too ... up040577.gif

Mercury-Atlas 9

Faith 7 Mercury-Atlas Launch, 1963

Preparation_for_launch_of_Mercury-Atlas_9.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Manfred,  I have a lot of photos to use as references, but it seams that the old photos were just to do a very basic documentation.  I can find very few really good detailed shots of the Service Tower, and no drawings at all.  Some items in this build will be simplified a bit.

Looking good Rich

I'm feeling left out I seem to have missed the incrdible

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 14:22, roma847 said:

BRBT (Balsa Rod Bending Technique)

Can some one point me in the right direction?

Kev

Hey Kev,

Manfred's famous rod bending technique can be seen in his WIP Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 in the sci/fi Real Space section on postings, #329, #336, #345.  These are good examples of how to bend the styrene rods and maintain their shape.

7 hours ago, longshanks said:

Looking good Rich

I'm feeling left out I seem to have missed the incrdible

Can some one point me in the right direction?

Kev

Hi Kev,

the principle of my BRBT you can follow better here in my post #698, and the following. top.gif 

J221JR.jpg

It's not witchcraft, just a cool idea, einfall.gif which is very helpful at whatever rod diameter you want.  

All you need is a template, Balsa wood, a Hot air gun and a handful of pins. up040577.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey Dio Fans,

The build continues gradually.  I have done some more work on the Launch Pad, and trying to decide what to include and what to leave out.

Working with these old kits is a bit of a challenge. I'm thinking that back in the day, these kits were produced for "kids" and it really didn't mater if items did not line up correctly or match shapes, and the huge amount of flash on all the parts...

pmdwckxLj

After the clean up, then the color change...

pmtqfGu0j

The back side application...

pnmO7mgRj

The front side...

poSBtl5Kj

So now I'm at a point were I need to extend some piping to get to the other Ramp Block...

pmxjbl7Hj

You can see above, that the sets of piping land on the left side of the roll up door.  This is how the Revell kit is built.

I have marked with the red arrows were the kit parts are placed, and were the actual parts are placed on the other side of the doorway...

poRE4aXej

pmiBX2wfj

That's it.  I have to extend the piping to match the photo and then blend the two blocks together with the extended piping and Ramp.

I'll be back when things get more exciting......Thanks All.

• Like 5