100 years of 39 Squadron in two kits

Airfix 1/72 BE2c and Skunkworks 1/72 MQ-9 Reaper, both in 39 Squadron RAF markings.

The BE2c is as flown by William Leefe Robinson VC in 1916 when 39 RFC were a home defence squadron, and the MQ-9 is as flown by 39 Squadron currently, also from the UK, but with a very different mandate.

057E97EF-6386-4152-85DC-412B71CE1CB9.jpg

The Reaper is surprisingly massive.

AE4B1ACE-0988-4006-AD53-7DCECDEEEEEB.jpg

The MQ-9 isn't my best work - the lack of interior means it really goes together quickly. A little too quickly in fact and it's a bit of a mess. Luckily, there are two kits in the box, so I'll crack on with the other at some point.

The BE2c is a very complicated kit for it's size IMO. My first attempt at rigging a biplane and second attempt at a WW1 aircraft. I'd give it another go though.

24CADA6A-8A42-404C-800B-9614CC12A299.jpg

The rigging is Uschi van der Rosten Rig That Thing Superfine, and is held on with superglue and swear words.

A5B5FA0F-18D2-41A7-8E05-5F0A9816EB8A.jpg

Both brush painted with a combination of Tamiya, Gunze and Humbrol colours.

Thanks for looking.

Spasmo.

Edited by SpasmoTrout
  • Like 27

The BE2c is a very complicated kit for it's size IMO. My first attempt at rigging a biplane and second attempt at a WW1 aircraft. I'd give it another go though.

I think you should: that rigging looks truly excellent.

Nice work, especially rigging the Be2C, biplanes fill many of us with fear and loathing. The idea of the 100 years is very simple but makes a great point: if you haven't seen it already try and watch Andrew Niccol's " Good Kill" about a Reaper "pilot" at work. Flying and warfare certainly has moved on from the heady days of chaps in dope & linen contraptions, relying as much on faith as their engines.

A

• Like 1

Oh, like them! I've had a vague concept of something similar for an RAAF squadron but just haven't got around to turning it into an actual idea yet.

Nicely done with the rigging, too.

Dennis

I have to confess to 'cheating' with the rigging... I glued it to the tops and bottoms of the struts before I attached the wings. Seemed to work pretty well, although you can just make out one of the lines on the port wing has gone a bit slack.

Also, my advice to anyone else making on would be to attach the control wires to the elevators as the very last thing - if you do it too early it's almost impossible to move the thing around! Hats off to biplane modellers - I have a new respect for them, and I can see the attraction as well now! :)

• 3 years later...

Both look great. What a contrast.  Comparing the two shows how big the Reaper is (I do wish the RAF would give it  better name though).  Would be intersting to see a Canberra PR.9 amongst them.  I have the BE in my stash.  Hope it turns out as good as yours.