H.M.C.S Huron Destroyer 1/350 Trumpeter

Out of curiosity, how close is the design of the Tribal class to the H class? They look outwardly similar to a non nautical persuasion. I ask this as it has ben a long term ambition to build HMS Hardy, my Great Uncles ship.

Although having a similar layout, the Tribals and H class were very different.

'Tribal'                                          'H' class

displacement                                    1,870 tons                                  1,340

length and beam  (feet)                   377,  36.5                                   323, 33

machinery                                         44,000hp, 36.5 knots               34,000shp, 36 knots

guns                                                   8 x 4.7" (4x2)                             4 x 4.7" (4x1)

4 x 2pdr (1x4)

20mm (various)                          20mm (various) 

torpedo tubes                                   4 x 21" (1x4)                               8 x 21" (2x4) later 1x4

complement                                     190                                               145

Figures are a bit rough and ready because they might be a mixture of: 'design', 'as built' and after wartime modifications.

In 1:350 scale a 'Tribal' is 328mm long and an 'H' is 281mm.

Tom

• Like 3

Tom thank you for that information will have to keep that in the little book as a reminder  :book:

John_W if you want to build an H class then Atlantic models do a version for HMS Hesperus not sure as to how close this would be to hardy maybe some difference in armament?  :book:

Bangor Lad and PZRGREN I will try and do a small how to do the water but you can also look at this builds that give an explanation

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234997894-bby-1144-u-boot/&

Beefy

• Like 3

Looking really at home in the sea scape beefy, can't wait to see he end result!

On Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 10:42 AM, John_W said:

Out of curiosity, how close is the design of the Tribal class to the H class? They look outwardly similar to a non nautical persuasion. I ask this as it has ben a long term ambition to build HMS Hardy, my Great Uncles ship.

John, you can get a 1/700 resin model of HMS Hardy from Niko, she was the H class leader and as such was a bit longer and wider than the others of the class, plus had an extra 4.7 gun mounted in between the funnels.

Geoff 

• Like 2

FULL DAY OF BUILDING TODAY  :yahoo: all the DIY jobs done for a while

So for them that want to know how I do my water it is a mix of different methods that I have sort of mixed together to suite me it may not work for everybody  :nerd:

First I have a suitable base made this can also just be a cut piece of hard board then I build the sides up to the size I need in the case of Huron I used some 30 mm profile plane beading

this gives me a frame to put the water in or should that be the building insulation foam or Kingspan

IMG_3618.jpg

The foam is then cut and shaped to form the basic wave shape I then cut out the shape of the hull to put the ship in

I like to keep the full hull so that when I create the waves you can still see parts of the hull as though the waves are moving above and below the waterline

IMG_3620.jpg

When I,am happy with the basic shape of the waves I cover the foam in tissue paper fixed with PVA glue or wood glue

I then cover the surface of the waves with clear silicone sealer cheap stuff from the local DIY store stippling the silicone before it sets at the stern to make the wake effect

When this is all dry after a couple of days I then paint the silicone with Enamels using a various mix of blue and greens and grey

IMG_3619.jpg

to set the ship into the base I use more silicone and then cover the whole base with Deluxe materials Making Waves this gives the deep shine to the water and also helps to harden the top layer

for when the naughty people at the shows try and stick their fingers in to it to see if it is wet  :rage:  HTH

Back to the build now using some small chain for the anchors not sure about using the PE as it looks flat will paint the chain an iron color and give it a rusty wash

IMG_3621.jpg

Beefy

• Like 7

Thanks Kev hope it helps those that want to try a seascape

Well anchor chains fitted and painted some touch up needed

IMG_3623.jpg

Also started on the side rails

IMG_3622.jpg

Beefy

• Like 11

Really good, clear, concise tutorial Beefy. Will be (stealing) trying that soon.

Huron is looking the part now, anchor chains and the rails are looking spot on.

:worthy:

Geoff

• Like 1

Thanks Andy and Geoff feel free to use the idea hope you have a lot of fun with it

OK got the rails all fitted and the ships boats I know that the kit ones are incorrect so I have covered in tissue also I have used a generic rail set from Atlantic models so that I can use the rails out of the tribal set for my Eskimo build  :book:

Ship now setting in more silicone and then I can add rigging and the 4 barrel Pom Pom

IMG_3627.jpg

IMG_3629.jpg

IMG_3628.jpg

IMG_3624.jpg

IMG_3630.jpg

Beefy

• Like 10

I have added a layer of Making Waves and when this was dry I added wight to the wake swell will now add another coat of the making waves to seal it all in

IMG_3631.jpg

IMG_3633.jpg

Beefy

• Like 13

Thanks Rob

Well been working on the aft mast used some brass tube and the kit PE for the antennas

IMG_3635.jpg

Also made a start on the 4 barrel Pom Pom  :doh: what was I thinking

IMG_3634.jpg

Next to the kit parts

IMG_3637.jpg

Beefy

• Like 3

Small up date  Pom Pom built up  :doh: why did I think of doing it that way

IMG_3642.jpg

IMG_3643.jpg

Got to admit it was hard work very delicate but it does look better

Also started to add the mast Halyards using thin copper wire from a old relay

IMG_3644.jpg

IMG_3645.jpg

And painted the name plate up

IMG_3641.jpg

Beefy

• Like 6

Hi Beefy, apologies if you mentioned it before, but which manufacturer is the 4 barrel 'Pom Pom' from? Just wondering as I would need one if I get one of these Tribals. It certainly looks nicely detailed.

Edited by Rob 1
  • Like 1

HI Rob this is the little blighter I used it is from the NORTH STAR range I got this from Starling models at the Huddersfield show

Mike from Starling models will be at the Northern model show in June along with Peter Hall of Atlantic models

And that is around my birthday so hope to get myself a good prezzie from the missus Type 42 if Peter has it ready  :whistle:

IMG_3662.jpg

IMG_3663.jpg

Beefy

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...