AModel Tupolev Tu-104

OK jumping in like a few others to this airliner GB with a fine Russian airliner. Thought about the Zvezda IL62 and the wonderful LU Tarom decals, then the Zvezda Tu-134 or AZ IL-18, but finally plumped for the Amodel Tu-104A!

Here's the box and sprue shots etc

IMG_0560_zpsudvd4x4y.jpg

Box art and transparencies

IMG_0555_zpsoojooqty.jpg

Wing sprue

IMG_0556_zps3wumheka.jpg

Fuselage and kit decals

IMG_0557_zpsm4wzepwg.jpg

Tail sprue

IMG_0558_zps3bqmjwyl.jpg

Close up

IMG_0559_zps2k5xofih.jpg

The BOA decals and scheme

Suprisingly big airliner I thought even in 144 scale, although the box could have been half the size! The recessed panel lines might be a bit heavy and some are a bit wonky as eveidenced by the close up pic! Decided not to use the kit decals as I dont think they have a good reputation. so BOA decals purchased. I have done no research on the kit itself, I just like the airliner with its glass nose, but I can see straight away that I will have to fill in the windows and some of the scribed window postions, as these will be dealt with by the decals.

Anyway looking forward to getting underway (do you really need to start another kit says the missus!) and hopefully if this is finished within the deadline I can do another - plenty airliner kits and ideas!!

• Like 10

I was going to mention how fine the scribing looked until I saw the close up!

Nice to see some Eastern European type sneaking in to the build list

Ray

Overall the scribed panel lines are OK but this is as i say 'wonky'! If I had scribed this then I would ne re-doing it - its on the underside so cahnces are i will leave it. If I finish this in time (4 months!) then I have another Russian liner at least to make for the GB

• Like 1

Started at last! First job is to fill the windows along the fuselage to suit the decals i have - I used Apoxie Sculpt last time so here goes again. Its a two part so need to be mixed - two 'suasgaes' of each then twisted together to make a completely mixed strip. This I pressed into the fuselage behind the windows to fill the hole, then pressed back and then cut off with a scalpel. Takes a few hours to harden

This is the result after sanding back

IMG_0789_zpsq6lwaal3.jpg

IMG_0790_zpst7j11bpv.jpg

Have pics of the sequence if needed!

Some minor surface filling to complete the job and the same for the scribed window locations.

• Like 3

I really need to try this method of filling windows, looks like it work well.

Yeh, I agree, it looks very neat. Much better than my last attempt of pouring casting resin into an A320's windows - it only filled about 10% of them...!!

Keith

• Like 1

I really need to try this method of filling windows, looks like it work well.

Ray it does work well and is quite easy

Yeh, I agree, it looks very neat. Much better than my last attempt of pouring casting resin into an A320's windows - it only filled about 10% of them...!!

Keith[/quote

Keith yes its very neat and if I had taken more care would require zero subsequent filling. As I say Apoxie Sculpt is the name of the stuff but i guess other fillers would work in a similar fashion.

Todays job was gluing wings together along with the engine exhaust section And tomorrow we may get the fuselage sides glued together!

• Like 2

Brief update - fuselage joined and wings on with the help of a bit of filler as usual.

IMG_0791_zpsxrmkyvoe.jpg

Fuselage joined, nose weights in - an air;liner essential and wings dry fitted

IMG_0838_zpsqwsd9mny.jpg

Wings attached to fuselage - the sun/camera picks out every blemish!

IMG_0837_zpskx80owrw.jpg

Underside showing very thin plasticard shims to fill a gap and make sure the glue held this time! Now trimmed off and filled/sanded.

The fit is OK, but many dry fits required and gentle sanding of the different components to get everything to sit correctly. The Apoxie Sculpt for filling the windows fouled up the fuselage/wing joint so had to be trimmed back - my usual way of working! ie the next one will be better!

Next stage is go over the kit for any further filling, re-scribing and final sand with fine grade paper before priming. Happy with my 2 week progress.

• Like 5

That's a nice choice Jp and you seem to be overcoming the challenges really well so far.

Cliff

That's coming on very nicely!

Keith

Cheers Cliff and Keith. Got some more done today - tail and tailplane glued on, glazing in - cockpit and nose cone. Also engine intakes which I found to be poorly moulded. A bit of filling, sanding and rescribing and we will get some primer on by the end of the week!
  • Like 2

Quick Update - first coat of primer on after the usual filling and cleaning scribed panel lines. Engine intakes and exhaust require a bit more work, but quite happy with this so far.

IMG_1010_zpskkrpsbeg.jpg

IMG_1011_zpso9zl0giv.jpg

Apologies for indoor lighting!

• Like 6

That looks really nice. It's a beautiful aircraft. I could be very tempted to add one to the stash, I love early jets of all kinds. Still, I'd have to get the postie to smuggle it past Mrs. Tiger.... :whistle:.

Coming together very nicely :thumbsup2:.

Best regards

Tony

PS: go on Keith you know you want to, and plenty of GB time left yet ;)

TT

Its a good kit lads - I guess typical Amodel limited run so no locating pins etc but careful work that we are all capable of will bring good results. I think the shape is bang on and my only gripe so far is the poorly moulded engine intakes - which i will keep working to improve them. Likewise I love most russian airliners and this is comet era - well first russian jet airliner. I am niot as efficient as I would like to be but I can see this getting finished shortly, leaving time for some more in this GB. IL62 and IL18 being favourites right now. Thanks for the great comments so far, hope the final model lives up to expectations!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Decalling stage - quick couple of shots

CSA colours - although I cant find any pics of this colour??

IMG_2068_zpsltp21coo.jpg

Tail half decalled

IMG_2069_zps1lohmlug.jpg

Waiting for the decal to fully dry before applying the other half

IMG_2074_zpsbp3cznkj.jpg

Hopefully finished this week!

Then I'm thinking of another russian airlier - 4 weeks to build it??

• Like 10