Revell/ICM Tu-144. "Concordski!

Hi folk's I,ve only ever built one airliner since getting my second wind in modelling Lufthansa's Airbus from Revell back in

2014.I picked up this kit as a next project back then but never got it started so here is a perfect chance to build what is in

my opinion a beautiful if ill fated aircraft,Revell re-boxed ICM's kit which is nicely molded in white slightly grainy plastic with

no flash.Now this one will be slow I decided on on morning a week(my rationed time at the bench) to complete the build so

I can enjoy the rest in the GB and soak up the inspiration and techniques.The Box Art.

DSC03303_zpsxqqhlkil.jpg

Oh and said Airbus.

SDC12263800x533_zpscbd9678b.jpg

• Like 11

Good luck with is one as you may well need it. I started the exact kit a while ago but shelved it due to the terrible fit of the wings to the body. It really is awful. However, in saying that, I have seen some people do wonders with it, so go for it. I think anyone would do a better job than I did :) you don't see many of these online, so it'll be nice to see something different here

• Like 1

Good luck with this build.

I've got to agree with MH, when I did a dry fit with mine, for the life of me I just couldn't see a decent way of attaching the wings and fuselage together. Also, you may need to pack out the underside of wings to achieve a flush fit between the parts.

But, it is a beautiful model and has some of the finest scribing I've ever seen.

Jeff

• Like 1

A very nice choice, and it does build into a very nice kit. This was my lame attempt a couple of years ago

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234943674-my-concordski/?hl=concordski

I don't remember too many dramas, the ICM plastic almost resembled bakalite! from what I remember. I don't recall any nightmares on the fit, just keep test fitting, if I do get any flashbacks i'll let you know! The major snag I had was the decals which I did have a mare over but at least with yours being a Revell release the decals should be better!

Looking forward to your interpretation of this fine beast

Bob

• Like 2

Morning all,well here goes,I've assembled the engine nacelles without any drama in fact I would say all parts have been drama free so far(famous last

word's).the insert which blanks off the complete assembly were painted black and I will pick out the turbine blades in silver before fitting.I also fitted the

two part nose together and filled a couple of sink marks.

DSCN3333_zps48whc8nd.jpg

The three part wing assembled without a hitch a little styrene strip placed around to even out the step which sort of worked.

DSCN3334_zpsv5zspzgy.jpg

And after the window inserts were added I joined the fuselage halves which after thinning the pips fitted beautifully.I,ve just placed it on the wing

assembly just to show the beautiful lines of the aircraft.That's it for now not bad for an hour and a half's session.Thanks for looking in.

DSCN3336_zpsyn8d2mtx.jpg

• Like 5

Good start. So, thinning the alignment pips helps with the wing/fuselage fit - thank you, that's been putting me off carrying on with mine. Time to dig it out again. You're right it has such beautiful lines too. I love the canards above the flight deck. And I absolutely love this picture

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Aeroflot/Tupolev-Tu-144D/1583912

• Like 3

Thank's guys There is a stand supplied which really lends this kit to be modelled in straight flight but I love the nose down canards deployed look

of the thing so much it has to be modelled on the ground.

Looking very nice so far Steve. How's the time rationing going? I need to do the same!

Cliff

Thanks,Cliff,I,m fighting hard not to do more than one session a week as once I get into a project I tend to get engrossed but I have a box with

a half dozen half finished projects which I,m tinkering with, so with my normal 1-2 hours a day sessions things are working out!

• Like 1

Thank's Pat,with the rain pouring looks like I,ll be at the bench a few times throughout the day so first job was to fix the engine assemblies to the wing's

which went without a hitch just pegged them for the rest of the day to let the liquid poly to do it's stuff.the join along the fuselage top looks great so a

little gentle sanding to finish it off next.

DSCN3384_zpsagwwz5ai.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 6

Morning folk's just an update,a sand of the fuselage top cracked it open twice so in the end I ran contacta along and after a day or two sanded it

smooth and it worked I ran the same cement along the fuselage/wing join(which wasn't all that bad) and now a couple of coats of primer has her

at this stage,that said I,m dreading the white stage.Thanks for popping in.

DSCN3402_zpsne3xo2ej.jpg

• Like 3

How are you going to do the white Steve?

Halfords? if not go some white flat coats and then a gloss white or clear over the top.

Hi Ray,yes got a can for the Airbus still loads left so planning on a couple of matt coats then gloss as you say.

• Like 1

Afternoon all,rattle can white primer now drying nicely,I just need a touch of flexi filler along the wing root in a few places before glossing.

DSCN3427_zpsvhmshcxj.jpg

• Like 4