KLM blue

I recently bought Revell 50 for another model I was doing and realised when I saw it next to Xtracolor X312 KLM New Bright Blue how similar it was. I also bought Tamiya X-14 Sky blue and noticed almost the same thing!!

I took these this morning in the bright summer sunshine - it's finally arrived in the UK...well for today anyway.

20160716_102742.jpg

Revell 50 is the middle tin, KLM new is on its side and KLM old is the lower tin. The interloper at the side is Xtracolor X556 Thompson Blue.

20160716_102716.jpg

The forward end of the engine part has been painted in Revell 50; compare it to the paint run on the Xtracolor tin, it's quite similar. The rear bit of that part has been painted Tamiya X-14 Sky blue.

Here's Tamiya Sky blue and Xtracolor KLM new.

20160716_103343.jpg

Not too far away with either paint.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 2

• 3 years later...

Hi Boman,

Having just finished a KLM 737 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235058746-1144-zvezda-klm-boeing-737-700/

I can say that Lifecolor LC09 is a little dark but LC08 is a spot on match, applied over white primer, for the Xtracolor X312 which I used.

I can't help you with MrHobby H25 though.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
On 01/11/2020 at 16:14, Tim R-T-C said:

Can anyone recommend a rattle can for the colour?

Thank you

I am also eager to know if this is available as i was thinking of constructing a KLM737-700/800 in the current livery.

Also, does the Revell Aqua 50 match the Revell 50 enamel?  

Would appreciate some guidance on this.

1 hour ago, Zulu Hotel Alpha said:

I am also eager to know if this is available as i was thinking of constructing a KLM737-700/800 in the current livery.

Also, does the Revell Aqua 50 match the Revell 50 enamel?  

Would appreciate some guidance on this.

I don't know of a rattle can to match current KLM blue. (I'm not saying there isn't one, only that I don't know).

In theory Revell Aqua 50 and Revell Enamel 50 should be the same colour but the only way to be certain is to buy both and try for yourself.

Another close match, at least to my eyes, is Mr Hobby Aqueous H-45 which I am intending to use on a B787-9 although I have to build the model first!

Dave G

• Like 1

On 28/09/2021 at 23:50, Skodadriver said:

I don't know of a rattle can to match current KLM blue. (I'm not saying there isn't one, only that I don't know).

In theory Revell Aqua 50 and Revell Enamel 50 should be the same colour but the only way to be certain is to buy both and try for yourself.

Another close match, at least to my eyes, is Mr Hobby Aqueous H-45 which I am intending to use on a B787-9 although I have to build the model first!

Dave G

Thank you very much for your input and suggestions. 

• 1 month later...

Working on my first KLM kit now... going through the same decision making process. Luckily my dad was a keen KLM modeller and left me a few paints and a bunch of completed models. Here are some swatches. Left to right, Mr Hobby Acqueous H45, H25 and Tamiya X-14. The kit next to them is, I think, sprayed with H45, it appears to be the closest match. I can't ask my dad anymore, he passed away three years ago :( Note that the colors appear different on the screen then they do under the warm LED light in my study.

51658440492_cd92147825_b.jpg

51660125145_530bf7df83_b.jpg

To be fair, I don't think any of these colors are a particularly good match. I have flown KLM a lot of times in recent years; I would fly the Embrears and Fokkers from Schiphol and Norwich. In both cases you walk up to the plane in the open air as they are parked on the apron and there are no gates to go through, so I would get to see them under all lighting conditions without any glass to get in the way. To my eyes the actual color is a lighter, brighter, bluer and more saturated.

Photos are a notoriously bad way to judge colors of course, but I've posted some below here to illustrate the problem when relying on them. Photos of recent aircraft, like the first photo of the 787, represent very well what the actual aircraft look like. However, older photos tend to have any number of variations of the color blue.

51661561930_71918fc825_b.jpg

51660917213_577d81a4f0_b.jpg

Airliners.net image removed. Read the pinned post.

I'm not yet at a point where I've decided to use any of the three colors I have available; I'll be trying to get hold of the X312 as well even if it is just to rule it out. If I can't find anything better I will pick the H45, at least then it will not clash with my dad's kits :)

By the way, an additional issue to take into account are your decals. I'm building a 787 with a DrawDecal set; these have the KLM logo on the tail in a color blue that is, of course, a different shade from all the three colors I have available. Interestingly, that particular shade appears to be close to what I see in the 787 photo above so that is encouraging in a way :P

Edited by sroubos
Removed a bunch of photos that originate from other sites. The point stands I think, if you google 'KLM planes' you'll find a bewildering array of blues.
  • Like 3

On 9/28/2021 at 10:37 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

Wonder how Vallejo Andrea blue might compare…though not sure you can airbrush model colour nor brush it fine enough for civvies 

Looks a tad dark from online pics but I have Vallejo Deep Sky Blue that actually looks in the flesh close to that 787

Thanks for an interesting comparison @sroubos.  

I'm currently working on a 787-9 which was to be finished in KLM livery using 26 Decals. I was just about to put it into the paintshop for a coat of H45 when I noticed the very different colour of the tail decal. I don't know how it compares to the colour used by Drawdecal but it immediately put paid to the idea of using H45. I'm currently pondering the options, one of which is finish the model as something totally different! Blue is a notoriously difficult colour to match even before we begin to think about things like lighting conditions and scale effect.

By the way, hope you don't mind a word to the wise. Re-posting photos from airliners.net is strictly prohibited because of copyright issues. Linking to the photos is fine. I've never been sure why that post is tucked away in Chat rather than somewhere more obvious but as we say in Scotland "Ye ken the noo". You might want to think about amending your post.

Dave G

@sroubosThe KLM blue differs from time to time as trough the years they have used lighter and darker variations...

Your dad had some good enough colors for the different periods.

Only the H25 is off the charts for roof blue.

The colors a man sees in the outside world are most likely to look more saturated under influence of daylight .

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

23 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Looks a tad dark from online pics but I have Vallejo Deep Sky Blue that actually looks in the flesh close to that 787

Here’s a bad photo comparing it to the light blue Revell aqua use on their labels, if I were still doing civys id definitely use Vallejo 844 as klm blue. 

51663833208_d0b086a6f7_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...