"MASSIVE and OLD" It's only a ruddy GRUMMAN EA-6B Prowler 1/48 by Airfix.

You should reshape that antenna under the nose while you're doing all your cutting and sanding in the area. They had a very different profile on the actual birds, more of an angled back blade. Keep whipping that beast into shape. :goodjob:

23984021751_b1d4a0dbea_c.jpgChristine - Raven 622

Photo credit to my buddy Justin P., taken during a 1995 deployment.

• Like 2

I think that swept back blade antenna is the more modern fit. The original antenna was the big blade as seen on the model. Here's a photo from the early days:

ss_EP-10013_003_734x265.jpg

Prowlers got upgraded electronics several times, and the external antennae changed each time. The moral of the story is to pick a photo and make the model match it :)

• Like 2

You should reshape that antenna under the nose while you're doing all your cutting and sanding in the area. They had a very different profile on the actual birds, more of an angled back blade. Keep whipping that beast into shape. :goodjob:

23984021751_b1d4a0dbea_c.jpgChristine - Raven 622

Photo credit to my buddy Justin P., taken during a 1995 deployment.

Hell yeah! Thanks I wondered what that was. :goodjob:

I think that swept back blade antenna is the more modern fit. The original antenna was the big blade as seen on the model. Here's a photo from the early days:

ss_EP-10013_003_734x265.jpg

Prowlers got upgraded electronics several times, and the external antennae changed each time. The moral of the story is to pick a photo and make the model match it :)

And now learning to read all posts first. Thanks Jess. :)

Yeehaa! :cowboy: You done good! I know exactly what you mean about only realizing how something looks when you see your photo of it posted - a bit like the old painter's trick of looking at the canvas in a mirror, I guess. Had to shudder at seeing your nose well activity today , I have not had a good day with mine, so can only wish you swift joy with yours sir. :thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Great stuff!

BTW: Is 'Dexter' a Tamiya saw by any chance? I ordered something like it last night, though mine doesn't look to be as big.

Tony

Yes bud, it's a tamiya one. It looks quite small in the pic. It's not small. :) . No progress tonight I'm afraid, just a little light sanding. Hope your nose section goes well.

Jont

• Like 1

True. The square is likely original or ICAP-I. I don't recall the chin antenna changing when we converted from ICAP-II to ICAP-II Block 86 prior to the '96 deployment. We did gain an extra antenna on one of the turtlebacks though. The ICAP-III chin antenna looks to be completely different again. The cockpit he went with would affect the antenna arrangement, as I recall there being different cockpits available. Assuming he even cares. :lol:

Regardless it's a massive improvement from what it began as.

Edited by helios16v
  • Like 1

I just did a little poking around for you as I went back and saw you were looking at doing the lo-vis VAQ-139 Cougar scheme. VAQ-139 deployed off the Connie (CV-64) with CVW-14 (NK) from February 1985 until May 1990. 3 six month deployments, and 3 local operations. In June 1990 CVW-14 moved to the Indy (CV-62). So either ICAP-I or ICAP-II would be appropriate based off the timeline.

http://www.gonavy.jp/navy/sqn/VAQ139.html

Edited by helios16v
  • Like 2

Thanks for your input on the scheme. While we are on that subject I decided on holiday that my chosen one would be the "Playboy" scheme. Very 80s and brash a bit like this kit. The secondary scheme had the smaller stars and I really want this to be BOLD. The two cockpit choices from Airies were early and late, to be fair they both looked the same but what do I know. :) I chose the late one. I'm not really that concerned if it's exactly right but more of a fair stab at improving an old kit. it's kind of the point of this WIP. I got the canopy shims on tonight with an idea about using milliput for the front gap. Hmmm we shall see.

Thanks for all your lovely words and ideas.

Take it easy.

Johnny prowler. ;)

• Like 3

It's all good. It's too easy for me to become too enthralled w/ these birds. The hazards of working around them for a few years. :lol:

Even my own builds I don't worry to much about being exact...especially when it comes to BuNos. Birds got swapped around between units all the time...especially the Prowlers. We would go up to 5 aircraft when we would deploy...then as soon as we got back we'd strip the squadron identifiers off 3 of the birds and transfer them off to other deploying squadrons. Especially after the USAF retired the EF-111...all of a sudden we had to support the their electronic warfare missions as well (re-commissioned 3-4 squadrons). Not enough birds to go around. :lol:

• Like 2

It's all good. It's too easy for me to become too enthralled w/ these birds. The hazards of working around them for a few years. :lol:

Even my own builds I don't worry to much about being exact...especially when it comes to BuNos. Birds got swapped around between units all the time...especially the Prowlers. We would go up to 5 aircraft when we would deploy...then as soon as we got back we'd strip the squadron identifiers off 3 of the birds and transfer them off to other deploying squadrons. Especially after the USAF retired the EF-111...all of a sudden we had to support the their electronic warfare missions as well (re-commissioned 3-4 squadrons). Not enough birds to go around. :lol:

Must have been great to work on the actual planes. Awesome. I hope you find my finished jet up to scratch when the time comes. :D

Thanks for all your interest.

J

Steady progress with a little bench time this morning. :)

First in line was the canopy and the missing plastic. Both shims got built, painted an glued in place milliput was needed to fill the front plastic lack, as it was more forgiving as opposed to plasto.

74B75D8E-BFF4-463A-AA16-6685F76EC6F3_zpshxu2x9of

The main area was filled.

E4ABDE7A-BE7D-4D81-868B-9F151765F803_zpsmerqc5fc

Then rolled flat, I pushed the canopy in to make a solid indent.

2ECCD67F-6122-4C21-8075-108DACF39E8C_zpsn4etmucl

Looking good. :) the nose well needed building next so plasticard to the rescue.

Using pegs as a set square.

23180C1E-E022-45D1-8D4A-72E0FAC087B2_zps3qojzy4d

I made a new well case.

B1D73DA4-FF08-4F2A-84BA-FD7A1C699952_zpsmttux0vz

I added some gubbins inside pushed it into the fuselage, filled sanded and gave it a quick prime. Needs more attention but it's looking better than the shallow shelf that was there before. :)

92D1F588-3260-4C9F-B91A-F6E0BD1A0D71_zps8tr2h3j4

The canopy sections needed masking soooo. One.

D0DFB0AE-4B11-4178-9E08-BE628DF0F8F5_zpsduj5wsv3

Two, three.

93AF041D-0423-4645-AB84-C4313DA977DA_zpsyzb35vrj

Then blasted with black tamiya.

CC0CCB5F-5045-43E9-8AE7-13FE63DBD129_zpsxeaeg8cn

The milliput had dried so I got to give it a little sand. Not too bad, I ordered some Mr Surfacer to see if it could help with my lumpy bumpy. ;) oh and as a special little treat I got to help the boy with the Lanc.

Gloss cost on so he enjoyed decal time. Not much but it's nearly done now.

8D2A7750-EA7B-457B-920D-E92B7EBB55D0_zps6eytegd0

Thanks for popping by, hopefully more tomorrow morning. Take care.

Johnny the lad.

On 13/08/2016 at 11:28 AM, TonyTiger66 said:

Looking at the initial shimming of the front canopy it looks very promising. :thumbsup2:

Inspiring build.

ATB

Tony

Thanks Tony, I think I have a handle on it now. :)

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 6

Morning!

Not happy at all with the blobby nose well I got up early ripped it all out and made a new one. I built a new panel at the top / bottom of the wheel to hide the lumpy and added more fitting pipe and wires.

E3801CC0-B8AE-4398-9230-3871B3052B74_zpsg8jdfkk8

EEF6C687-A920-4AA8-8896-D930F744923F_zpsvtk7feou

C4D02D49-D730-4729-899B-61305BDC46D3_zpsfuxs7oc6

Much better to my eye. Thanks for putting up with my mind farts. :mental:

John.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 8

Morning John,

All that perseverance on the canopy is really worth it in what you did yesterday, plus this morning's brainstorm over the well has a satisfying air of 'done'-ness about it (if that makes sense? :rolleyes: )

You were asking about Mr.Surfacer over on my thread? My expertise is based solely on watching a bloke demonstrate it on Youtube, but as I understand it and old brush and patient repeat coatings on seams is the way, plus cellulose thinner and a cotton bud to brush back any excess. (Any idea what is in cellulose thinner BTW? I usually make up my own airbrush thinners and cleaners so wonder can you knock this up as well :shrug: )

BTW. you've got serious competition in the lad with his Lanc. Lovely work. :photo: Time for his first Flory set? :lol::guitar:

Have a good Sunday mate,

Tony

• Like 2

Morning John,

All that perseverance on the canopy is really worth it in what you did yesterday, plus this morning's brainstorm over the well has a satisfying air of 'done'-ness about it (if that makes sense? :rolleyes: )

You were asking about Mr.Surfacer over on my thread? My expertise is based solely on watching a bloke demonstrate it on Youtube, but as I understand it and old brush and patient repeat coatings on seams is the way, plus cellulose thinner and a cotton bud to brush back any excess. (Any idea what is in cellulose thinner BTW? I usually make up my own airbrush thinners and cleaners so wonder can you knock this up as well :shrug: )

BTW. you've got serious competition in the lad with his Lanc. Lovely work. :photo: Time for his first Flory set? :lol::guitar:

Have a good Sunday mate,

Tony

Thanks Tony, It certainly feels like I'm getting near the end of the modelling phase. Can't wait for the paint to go on. I should really get those wings on first. :D

Btw I have no idea what goes into thinners, I just buys em. ;)

He wants to borrow my washes, he may as well he's been using the rest of my stuff, so much black paint.

worth it though. :)

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 2

Looks Great, cracking work on the U/C bay too Coming along splendidly. I have never used Mr Surfacer either I can't Airbrush anything anyway as the Kids Bedrooms are near the loft hatch !

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

Your cave is in the loft? Awesome. :)

• Like 1

Very nice work sir. The patience and perseverence in respect of the canopy and nose wheel well have paid off. By the way I've used methylated spirit to thin Mr Surfacer - better than drinking the stuff :)

• Like 2

Know the feeling. I'm in agonies waiting for the 'Dexter' to arrive :wacko::waiting:

Hope your Mr.S comes soon :thumbsup2:

Thanks Tony, I thought it was due today, alas tomorrow or the next day. Saying that there are the main wheel bays that need doing. :)

I'm having odd dreams now with kits that actually fit together, it's bliss. :mental:

Very nice work sir. The patience and perseverence in respect of the canopy and nose wheel well have paid off. By the way I've used methylated spirit to thin Mr Surfacer - better than drinking the stuff :)

Thanks. And thanks for the meth tip. :)

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 2

(Any idea what is in cellulose thinner BTW? I usually make up my own airbrush thinners and cleaners so wonder can you knock this up as well :shrug: )

I've no idea how variable the mix is depending on brand, but section 3 of this H&S sheet http://www.axminster.co.uk/media/downloads/400120_HealthAndSafetySheet_1.pdf lists ingredients for one type of 'cellulose thinner'

• Like 1

I use Cellulose Thinners for anything Oil/Lacquer based for thinning/cleaning.

Smells a bit but does the job.

Also I use Alcad Primer/Filler, and spray a heavier coat along the seams (if they are not to bad)

Your lad`s Lanc is not arf good mate.

Simon.

• Like 2