A-5, Eduard, Trautloft, JG 54

This will be my first build of the super new kit from Eduard, i am looking forward to it and also happy that they have now given us the first A-5 i 1/72 :clap:

I will use some old left overs from the Revell kit for the gun pods.

20160715_193803.jpg

20160715_193733.jpg

Cheers

Jes

Edited by Touvdal
  • Like 1

Nice one. I am at the moment bussy with the 1/32 version. I am quite curious how you will interpreted the paint scheme. I am still thinking about the yellow tail band.

Cheers,

Nice one. I am at the moment bussy with the 1/32 version. I am quite curious how you will interpreted the paint scheme. I am still thinking about the yellow tail band.

Cheers,

I have now taken a look in Rodeike FW-190 p. 178 -180, and JG1 Vol. 1, Prien/Rodeike and Lutfwaffe fighter aces vol. 1, B. Barbas p. 69 (Hackl plane)

All photoes backup that JG 11 used yellow tail bands at the period. Also clearly showes in Hondts plane very dark because of the film used.

I will also say the it has yellow under engine cover and probaly yellow spinner or i could be red as 2. staffel color was red and it differs quite a lot to to the yellow under cover but is more like the red band on side fuselage and also the color for 2. staffel. , defenedly not black or RLM 70. ref. FW-190, p. 180.

Untitled-1.jpg

cheers

Jes

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

All photoes backup that JG 11 used yellow tail bands at the period. Also clearly showes in Hondts plane very dark because of the film used.

hi Jes

. it does look like there might be something there but.....have you read that passage in Prien's JG 1 & JG 11 history; there is a letter from Hondt to his parents describing how "colourful" his aircraft was - painted with the red 'V', the white tail etc - but no mention of a yellow fuselage band at all IIRC. That's not conclusive by any means, far from it. Hondt was shot down and the aircraft lost on 8 October 1943 - this is before fuselage bands were introduced though. See Peter Rodeike's small article in Jet & Prop 3/12 - he is also of the opinion that there was no yellow band at this time. I posted a nice clear print of this machine on Arniec's thread - the 'brighter' and 'clearer' the picture the less obvious is any change of colour towards the rear fuselage..

• Like 1

Hello Neil

I have looked at your photo and the J/P article by Rodieke and Hondt letter.

So i will agree that there are no yellow band and i also think that if he had a red spinner it would have been mentioned in the letter, so black it is.

Cheers

Jes

• Like 1

I have just looked at a Dutch book about the air war in WW 2 and there is a bit about Erich Hondt. There is a statement that his airplane was polished just before his last flight to get a few extra miles out of it.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

• 2 weeks later...

...given that you could build a Fw 190 in your sleep Jes, how is it actually going together ?

Like a hand in a glowe, very nicely very little filler need, glad that i got overtrees for 20 pcs. from eduard.

cheers

Jes

• Like 1

Was ready for paint job and i had already painted the tail white when i then try fitted the gunpod they where to short, they came from an old Revell set.

They have to extend all the way back to the flap edge, so have to wait for others to issue correct gunpods.

So now it will be a regular A-5, chose a JG54 a/c flown by Trautloft with interesting camo.

DSCN1601.jpg

Cheers

Jes

DSCN1603.jpg

• 1 month later...