De Havilland Heron 1 SABENA - using the Airfix 1/72nd kit

I have spent the past few days getting some paint on, I applied the grey on Thursday and that was left to harden off before masking up today for the white. After two coats of primer and two top coats I carefully removed the masking from the lower half and wing/tailplanes. I will leave this for a week or so to harden off before I remove the window masks after trimming around them with a new blade. Doing that should negate the risk of tearing the paint, and this will be followed a light sand and polish to get rid of any hard edges

The lull in progress should give me time to try and find a match for the blue of the decals that I have to apply to the nacelles, and there are still the little details like the main wheels and exhaust to take care of, not to mention the structure for the top of the canopy - so still a fair bit to sort out yet.

DSC01341_zpsocrju2nv.jpg

DSC01342_zpsgxjuyck8.jpg

• Like 10

54 minutes ago, alancmlaird said:

Hi, John. In the pause while we watch paint dry, I braved my loft and found the Mk1 Heron I built back in '82. Not sure of the BM GroupBuild etiquette - will I post a pic here for your amusement?

Alan

Post away bud, it would be good to see your result, and after watching your Herald build I am sure it will give me something to try and achieve.

Don't think so, John. Modelling standards have moved on SO far in 30 years. T'would seem I wasn't too bothered about wing root joints then, and underneath you can still make out where the u/c bay has been filled in. Like you, it seems I didn't like the windows and filled the frames with some varnish stuff instead - the effect was no better than the kit windows, but now you can see the empty innards! Some of the window have broken now too. The nosewheel fairing is a bit wobbly (I seem to remember making it out of some air-hardening putty stuff that stuck to everything. The hand-painted BEA logo is very suspect too, and I have no idea where the speedjack transfer came from, but it should have had a white backing to hold the colours. The model has shed various bits in storage - I feel a restoration might be in the offing. Interesting to compare the heavy surface detail of the Heron with the very light touch on the Herald.

BEA%20Heron_zpsngrmv5vg.jpg

Edited by alancmlaird
added text
  • Like 5

Alan, That is a very acceptable result given what you had to work with, it just shows what we modellers were willing to accept from kit manufacturers back then. I remember making examples of Airfix's Aer Lingus Friendship, Lancaster, Stirling and Sunderland along with numerous smaller aircraft and they all carried that same heavy detail, but I was always pleased with the end result. Thankfully kit manufacture has come on in leaps and bounds since 'I were a lad' and it's nice to see good quality kits of aircraft that would not have been considered back then, as well as retooled versions of old subjects. Not good for the bank balance though. :lol:

Having said that there are some fantastic builders on here who are excellent at making a silk purse out of a sows ear, just proving that it is not always necessary to have the latest kit with all the bells and whistles. I may have already mentioned that 26Decals produce a set for a BEA Scottish Airways Heron and there are some good glazing materials around now, so it shouldn't take too much work to knock the old girl into shape. I hope that you do get around to refurbishing her one day, it would be good to see how she turns out.

Thanks for sharing the photo of your model. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

After studying several photos including this one of G-ANXB last night I decided to make a start on scratch building the DF dome for on top of the canopy.  First I laminated some pieces of square stock together and cut this into an initial rough shape.

DSC01357_zpsdrax3mxc.jpg

DSC01358_zps01oklvbl.jpg

After some further carving, filing and sanding I have this, which still requires further refining to get it looking something like that in the photo.

DSC01361_zpsrgclfund.jpg

DSC01359_zpsdzhwcss3.jpg

Once I have completed this work I plan to cut a slot so that I can add the hook shaped piece that has still to be made Then I will drill a couple of holes underneath to accept some pins to help fix it to the canopy, meanwhile here are a couple of shots of the job so far, held in position with a small blob of Blu Tack.

DSC01363_zpszi1wvitb.jpg

DSC01362_zpsntc5lflx.jpg

Any advice/comments regarding height, shape or construction plans would be welcome.

• Like 3

On ‎13‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 3:14 PM, alancmlaird said:

Don't think so, John. Modelling standards have moved on SO far in 30 years. T'would seem I wasn't too bothered about wing root joints then, and underneath you can still make out where the u/c bay has been filled in. Like you, it seems I didn't like the windows and filled the frames with some varnish stuff instead - the effect was no better than the kit windows, but now you can see the empty innards! Some of the window have broken now too. The nosewheel fairing is a bit wobbly (I seem to remember making it out of some air-hardening putty stuff that stuck to everything. The hand-painted BEA logo is very suspect too, and I have no idea where the speedjack transfer came from, but it should have had a white backing to hold the colours. The model has shed various bits in storage - I feel a restoration might be in the offing. Interesting to compare the heavy surface detail of the Heron with the very light touch on the Herald.

BEA%20Heron_zpsngrmv5vg.jpg

Hi Alan

Is this picture still available - can't see it on my computer.

Mike

After close scrutiny of some on line photos of the Heron DF dome last night, I decided that the 'hook' shape was actually round in section and this had a small fillet underneath it. This morning I made a start on trying to replicate this using some pieces of micro tubing and sheet material. The fillet requires some further work to its trailing edge and I need to take a bit more off the right side of the base section to make it more symmetrical and then this should be almost ready for some paint.

DSC01369_zpsozt67nnl.jpg

DSC01368_zpsg5qditng.jpg

DSC01370_zps4mnz0wsd.jpg

• Like 5

On 10/14/2016 at 5:22 PM, FortyEighter said:

Hi Alan

Is this picture still available - can't see it on my computer.

Mike

Odd... I think most others can see it. try this link. Let me know if it doesn't work, I'll try something else.

http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/alancmlaird/media/BEA Heron_zpsngrmv5vg.jpg.html

19 hours ago, alancmlaird said:

Odd... I think most others can see it. try this link. Let me know if it doesn't work, I'll try something else.

http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/alancmlaird/media/BEA Heron_zpsngrmv5vg.jpg.html

Thanks, that worked but strangely the original in this thread is now there -  some days you just have to hate computers!!

Anyway, for 30 odd years ago I think it looks great.

• Like 1

Not much progress to report this week. I fixed the DF dome in position and used a smudge of filler to close the gap between this and the canopy, at the same time I removed the lump from the front of the canopy and touched up the paint. After this I took care of the ridge of paint where the two colours meet and then removed the window masks. There are a couple of areas where the filler has come away so they will need tidying up and touching in.

DSC01378_zpsgcxgiiht.jpg

DSC01377_zpsujjaayiq.jpg

I have not found a reasonable match for the decal colour to paint the nacelles yet but I will have a look for something at Telford, if I don't get anything there I will have to mix something using Humbrol WW1 Blue/French Blue. I think that I will add the decals and give them a gloss coat first though.

DSC01381_zps2bit81oj.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Grandboof said:

Just a suggestion Try the one on the right with some satin varnish on top . It may change the look just enough. Your Heron looks great 

Martin H

Thanks for the suggestion Martin, I'll try that on some scrap plastic first.

2 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

I'm sure you will come up with something suitable paint wise John. She's looking good unmasked. 

Thanks for your comment H. I am going to give Martins suggestion a try first because the WW1 Blue is not that far off when viewed off camera, but I am sure that this with a touch of French Blue will give a close match if I fail to turn anything else up.

• 2 weeks later...

I started to add some of the decals this afternoon and having completed one side I have set it aside to dry off. The windows will need a little bit of touch up to line them up with the decal frames I may spray some clear decal film up and cut it up to fill them in.

DSC01458_zpss57fy8gw.jpg

• Like 6