De Havilland Heron 1 SABENA - using the Airfix 1/72nd kit

Originally I had intended making a Daco 737 or Revell Airbus for this group build but whilst looking for those I came across this kit and I thought that it would make a nice change to jet engined airliners. I have to decide on a scheme yet and I have seen that 26 Decals have three nice choices, BEA Red Square, BUI Airlines and Sabena, they also have a BEA Speedjack option but I'm not a fan of that particular version.

Anyway, here are the obligatory photos of the box and its contents.

DSC01057_zpsivvcefpj.jpg

DSC01058_zpshun0ywxh.jpg

DSC01059_zpsbs5rcgnc.jpg

DSC01060_zps0ocded1y.jpg

I may try to scratch some sort of interior for this but with involvement in three group builds, all running at the same time and the Vignette GB having quite a complex subject choice, I will have to see how the time juggling skills are.

• Like 7

"I may try to scratch some sort of interior for this but with involvement in three group builds, all running at the same time and the Vignette GB having quite a complex subject choice, I will have to see how the time juggling skills are."

All in a days work for you John. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one.

• Like 1

You stole my thunder John, I pulled one of these out of the stash as a possible build (though with Royal Flight decals). Still may build it if I get my other builds done.

Will see how you go with yours.

• Like 1

I hope that you get around to doing that Ray, it would be nice to see in the Royal Flight scheme. I'm still undecided on BEA Red Square or Sabena scheme for mine. Having already completed a Viscount and a Vanguard and with a Trident to finish in BEA colours it would make sense to do this one in the same scheme, but I've always liked the old Sabena colours. I guess that I could always buy a 1/144 Fresin kit and that way keep the scale and scheme the same - sshh don't tell SWMBO. :winkgrin:

• Like 1

I have this one to do one day & wanted to do the BEA Red Square scheme, but all the piccies I can find (& the 26 instructions) show the version with the fixed undercarriage, but (& I haven't looked at the kit for a while) doesn't the Airfix kit only have the retractable undercarriage? Does anyone know if BEA used retractable u/c machines too?

Keith

• Like 1

I have this one to do one day & wanted to do the BEA Red Square scheme, but all the piccies I can find (& the 26 instructions) show the version with the fixed undercarriage, but (& I haven't looked at the kit for a while) doesn't the Airfix kit only have the retractable undercarriage? Does anyone know if BEA used retractable u/c machines too?

Keith

You are quite right Keith, they are Series 1 types, I will have to see how difficult it is to modify the undercarriage. At first glance the nose leg looks a fairly easy mod but I need to have a better look at the main legs. If it looks too involved then I will build it as a Series 2 and use the kit decals.

That will mean smuggling two kits past Mrs N. :ninja:

• Like 3

I will have to see how difficult it is to modify the undercarriage. At first glance the nose leg looks a fairly easy mod but I need to have a better look at the main legs.

I'll be very interested if you go ahead with the mods. John! It was failing to find good pictures & drawings of the main legs that stopped me starting mine, hope you can find the info.!

Keith

• Like 1

Interesting choice, love to see the old kits move on up the production line

I just last week came across a set of Lycoming Engines done by Wally in Oz for this kit, and if I get time I might just start a second build, but I don't want to get ahead of myself

• Like 1

With a couple of group builds stalled at the moment, one for paint and the other waiting for me to get to the local RMS, I decided to do a bit to this. First up for some attention was the fit of the rear door. This has quite a large gap around it and my solution was to glue some microstrip around the outside edge to close this up, this was then fixed in position and blended to shape.

DSC01067_zpsaubmkfi0.jpg

DSC01069_zpsyf5xmv0n.jpg

​Next job was to see if it was possible for me to modify the main undercarriage legs to re-create the fixed version of the Mk.1. Good photos and drawings of this area are quite scarce and, rightly or wrongly, I have had to make some assumptions based on the few images that I have found (see link). BEA Heron

I have left the undercarriage position as is, reasoning that this would be unlikely to change between series types - probably completely wrong but that is what I have gone with. When looking at photos it appears that there are a couple of variations of fairings over the undercarriage legs a straight type and the type seen in the photo-link above and both cases these only seem to cover the legs. To try and recreate these I have used some plastic card to wrap the legs and roughed out a shape. This needs some further shaping/refining but it's not too far away, whatever the outcome it's going to be the best that I can achieve. I have also filled the undercarriage bay and sanded this to shape.

DSC01070_zpsh2xicu4l.jpg

Overall, the fit of parts and level of detail are quite good for a kit of this vintage, but because of the amount of sanding that I expect to have to do around the wing and nose areas, l have decide to remove the surface detail and have made a start on this wing. I will attempt to rescribe some of the main panel lines later in the build.

• Like 5

Nice work John! I don't recall finding that picture during my searches, & to my eyes your scratchbuilding replicates those main legs really well! I would make exactly the same assumption as you regarding the positioning of the main u/c being the same, as I would guess that area would have been strengthened on the Srs 1. Not that my guesses are generally worth much though!

Looking forward to more progress

Keith

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, I managed to make a start on the opposite side yesterday but domestic duties have put paid to any modelling today. ​

Nice work John! I don't recall finding that picture during my searches, & to my eyes your scratchbuilding replicates those main legs really well! I would make exactly the same assumption as you regarding the positioning of the main u/c being the same, as I would guess that area would have been strengthened on the Srs 1. Not that my guesses are generally worth much though!

Looking forward to more progress

Keith

Thanks Keith, I was quite specific when I did the search only looking for Srs. 1 types and the BEA image turned up. Good to know that my reasoning for the undercarriage position is sound. Having worked in aircraft manufacturing, I figured that this mod would have been made with as little change to the structure as possible, the fairings are just a best guess based on the photo.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Any progress John?

Only a small amount of progress at the moment Ray. I have removed the rivet detail from the wings and fuselage, fitted the windows and ordered a set of Sabena markings from 26Decals.

After having a closer looking at the windows, the fit isn't great, so I am just contemplating whether to fill over those or remove them and re-glaze after the final painting has been completed. And of course there is still the fairing in of nose wheel to sort out. I'll take some photos later to show where I am up to at the moment.

​Edited to include photos

DSC01134_zps8u3bqqbr.jpg

DSC01135_zpssrhexzqh.jpg

DSC01136_zpsz4o15y7i.jpg

DSC01138_zpsym13ljrw.jpg

• Like 3

Just a brief update on progress.

I have a set of decals on order and I am now waiting for those to arrive before I make a final decision on the next steps for the windows. Once I have sorted that out I can close the fuselage up and hopefully start to make a bit more progress.

One thing that this lull did allow me to do today was to have a look at how I was going to create the nose wheel fairing. I decided that by utilising the kits forward undercarriage door I could add some plastic card shapes to the sides and infill the gaps with some square stock to give me something to sand to shape.

First job was to fix the undercarriage leg in place in one of the fuselage sides and I held the door in position with a small piece of blue tack. This allowed me to determine the rough shape and length for one of the fairing sides and by using the fuselage half as a guide I could get a nice profile for the fairing/fuselage join. I then cut this to a rough shape and I have used this as a template for the opposite side.

DSC01150_zpsqdosjcof.jpg

DSC01151_zpscjztnzp0.jpg

DSC01153_zpsip51pouc.jpg

However, this work is also at a standstill until I complete the fuselage join.

• Like 6

Liking the look of this, I apparently took my first ever flight in one of these, New Zealand's National Airways Corp operated several with the fixed U/C, I was too young to remember it though. :(

Steve.

That would be one like this then Steve NZNAC Heron. :)