Apollo 11 recovery - FINISHED

AdrianMF

Hello All,

I built the Airfix old mould (1969) Sea King for the Helicopter III GB. It's on a stand measuring 3" by 3 1/2" and there's a picture of the Apollo 11 Command Module on the stand to give it some context:

Airfix_Sea_King_final_01_zpsg1a5v03q.jpg

The mission here is to build a vignette of the scene shown in the photo, with the helicopter hovering above.

The stand is a 1/4" thick balsa block with plastic card around the sides.

So I need a command module, floatation bags and figures, and some ocean!

For the command module I have seen some very expensive kits on Ebay, which include the LCM and/or Service Module, which I don't need. So for the capsule itself I thought I might get away with building a plastic card model based on a paper model pattern available freely on the web:

Apollo11_start.jpg

It's for a 1/48 model, so I printed it out at 66.7% to get 1/72. Placed on the stand, it looked a bit too big, so I tried making a half-scale copy of the original 1/48 size one to give me 1/96 scale:

Apollo11_scale.jpg

This looks a lot more manageable and gives a bit of "forced perspective" to the scene. It's also about the same size as the one in the photo, so that works well. For the floats and dinghy I will be using two-part putty I have a choice of two-part advanced wood filler (too fast, no good for modelling), milliput (could do) or a strip of two-part filler in blue and green halves that you knead together until it is a uniform colour. The last one doesn't go entirely rigid and is hard to sand, but I think it would be the easiest to use.

I will probably make my own figures for 1/96 scale, and I'd like to put one or two in the helicopter doorway too.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 13

Hi Adrian and welcome to the Vignette GB. What a great idea for a vignette! I remember watching the Appolo 11 mission with great interest. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Oh my days! :yahoo: , It's the casual, 'I'll make my own figures in 1/96' that has finished me off. Can't see this being anything but brilliant and love the idea using forced perspective- something I'd like to get an angle on one day :thumbsup:

• Like 5

Hi Adrian and welcome to the Vignette GB. What a great idea for a vignette! I remember watching the Appolo 11 mission with great interest. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

You and me both 'Stix.

I can clearly remember my Dad getting me up at,what, 4 in the morning was it?,to watch Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin

make their decents down those famous steps and Neil utter that historic line.

All heady and exciting stuff for a nine year old.

My Dad was brilliant like that,he'd always make sure I saw any kind of historic occaision of that type.

Damn good idea for a vignette Ade,old 66 has certainly scrubbed up well.

• Like 3

Thanks chaps.

... It's the casual, 'I'll make my own figures in 1/96' that has finished me off. ...

It's not quite as bad as you might think. Because of precautions against "moon germs" the divers and crew all wore sealed overalls with hoods and face masks and spent a number of days in an isolation unit on USS Hornet. So the figures will be comparatively simple - and if it gets too hard I will just have the divers bobbing in the water!!

You and me both 'Stix.

I can clearly remember my Dad getting me up at,what, 4 in the morning was it?,to watch Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin
make their decents down those famous steps and Neil utter that historic line.

All heady and exciting stuff for a nine year old.

I fell asleep on the sofa somewhere around 2 am :(. There were a lot of tired kids in assembly the next morning!

Regards,
Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 2

Kind regards,

Stix

My memory is being more excited at getting up early (normally only allowed on Christmas Dau) than what was on the grainy telly

• Like 2

Hi Stix,

Currently in an office four thousand miles away from my modelling stuff. I did think of bringing some tools with me but the one time I tried I got my bag deep searched by the TSA on every leg of my trip (and didn't get any spare time). So I'm storing up my enthusiasm for when I get home next Tuesday!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4

Hi Adrian. Sorry you are so far away from your modelling stuff but, like you say, it makes getting home even better! Hope you have a good journey back.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hello All,

Well, I got back (fi-i-inally!) yesterday lunchtime and decided I was too tired to do my Wessex. So between naps i just started playing with some thin plastic card and my Olfa circle cutter and a square file and some superglue, and suddenly I had this:

Apollo11_capsule.jpg

I was just playing around but I think it's good enough to keep, under a thick layer of paint and heavy weathering. This is one of the surprisingly few occasions where the real thing is pretty heavily weathered!

I'm going to model the scene when they were still dropping divers down to the modul, before they opened the hatch and got the Apollo 11 crew out, so I will have one diver in the dinghy next to the command module (at 1/96), a diver in the hatch (1/72) and a crewman in the hatch (also 1/72). So I've been looking for figures, and I have a range of differently-sized candidates (all nominally 1/72!):

Apollo11_crew.jpg

My cutting board has 1 cm squares. 2cm = 144cm (4'8"ish) at 1/72 and = 192cm (6'4"ish) at 1/96.

I always thought that the early Frog pilots (dark grey, Left of middle, from the Wessex helicopter) looked like frogmen, so now is their chance to sit in the Sea King hatch (with flippers). The black figure in the middle is from the first issue Airfix Hunter and is severely undersized for 1/72, so he is going to be the man in the dinghy at 1/96. There is also the man on the left (new Airfix Bf110?) but he would need some equipment carving off.

The frogmen figures are in wetsuits so there is no need to model faces or complex clothing. Just big feet and facemasks...

He's not shown, but I also have a pilot in a military flight suit from the Short Skyvan who can stand up in the doorway after some surgery.

I have some more detailing of the command module to do and then it's making sausages from putty for the floats and the dinghy!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 7

Hi Adrian. Excellent work on the Command Module - it looks just the job. And it appears you have an interesting range of figures there too! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Adrian. I have been trying to catch up with everyone's vignettes and was wondering if there has been any more progress on your project?

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...