PT17 Stearman, Lindberg kit.....

Artie

Hi all....while dry fitting an old Lindberg Stearman, I've noticed the kit comes with two teardrop shaped bulges over the nose area....I've been searching lots of pics of that beauty, but most of the pics depict modern restored planes....What are those bulges supposed to be, or, as I figure, they shouldn't be there...???? Maybe a Lindberg's ornament..??? :winkgrin: :winkgrin:

Cheers.....

51vmibvTEVL.jpg

Hello, Artie

Agreed, bulges are probably ornamental. I have never seen anything similar on Kaydet. Basic Model 75 and its variations have an air intake installed on the position of the right hand bulge and there is usually an oil tank filler cap protruding through on some of the post-war 450 hp conversions near the Lindberg's bulge on the left. I can hardly imagine bulges' purpose even if they existed; I never heard about even experimental armament installation and V-engine cylinder covers do not go together with radials. Cheers

Jure

Hi, Jure.......I'm aware we cannot ask a high level of accuracy with this kit, and lots of scratchbuilding and detailing is needed if you want to update it a little bit...wich, on the other hand, sounds stupid, given the fact the new Revell kit is a gem.......

Masochistic modelling, according to some sources... :banghead::banghead:

Hi, Artie

Tell me about it. I have some 30 years old Revell 1/48 Mustang half done and several Tamiya Mustangs with additional PE, vacuform canopy, resin wheels and other trimmings stashed away. Got Tamiya kits before I started working on Revell ... I should probably have my head examined. Cheers

Jure

You're talking to Monogram's greatest fan in the world...!!!!.....oh, well...Monogram, Pyro, Lindberg, Airfix......

Got tons of tamiya, Hasegawa, Eduard, etc...kits....but can't explain why the oldest kits always find their way to the workbench first....

And please, don't start talking about vacuformed or resin kits......

It is odd that they'd add a totally unnecessary detail like that. Maybe the aircraft they used as a prototype had some sort of post-service modifications? I know next to nothing about the aircraft itself, but possibley fairings to fit a hopper in for agricultural spraying?

• Like 1

It is odd that they'd add a totally unnecessary detail like that. Maybe the aircraft they used as a prototype had some sort of post-service modifications? I know next to nothing about the aircraft itself, but possibley fairings to fit a hopper in for agricultural spraying?

What really upsets me is that those bulges are REALLY nice detailed, with tiny rivets and very sharp teardrop shaped....removing them caused me great concern... :shutup: :shutup:

Edited by Artie

Hi, Artie and Don

Years ago I had gathered a substantial amount of information about both training and crop dusting Stearmans, both from books (I got one very useful at as low a price as 50 cents) and from the web. My plan was to convert one of the 1/72 Revell Stearmans into a duster, but I still have not started with that. Nothing in that collection of photos, drawings and text information suggested such bulges ever existed. Of course, there is always possibility that some Stearmans were actually equipped with something like that, but I cannot imagine what purpose would these bulges serve or what piece of equipment would they cover. Small series of combat trainers had been armed, but machine guns had been installed into the lower wing. In dusters, hooper had been placed into the front cockpit, with the spreader just below the fuselage. The only piece of equipment which could possibly fit below these bulges would be engine driven pump (for liquids) or agitator (for dust). However, most of the pumps or agitators, if needed at all, were driven by simple wind turbine, attached to a strut or an undercarriage leg. Even if geared pump or agitator had been installed into the fuselage, such a device would be relatively small and would hardly need a bulge on a top of a fuselage, let alone two.

That said, I do not claim to know it all, and if such bulged Stearmans actually existed, I would very much like to hear about it. Cheers

Jure

• 2 weeks later...

You're talking to Monogram's greatest fan in the world...!!!!.....oh, well...Monogram, Pyro, Lindberg, Airfix......

He doesn't !

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with masochistic modelling, I hope to indulge on some (also with a Lindy kit) soon.

I can't add anything substantial re the bulges - if they had been for armament, there would have had to be some synchro gear. Lindberg's kits often showed loads of imagination re the details (Hunter ejection seat looking a lot like F-100 - no it won't be a Hunter -, engine looking rather American, F8U-1 with an ***interesting*** intake screen, etc.), but I somehow doubt they'd have added those bulges for the fun of it. Either they studied an example that featured the bulges, or - probably more likely - they used a drawing featuring them, authentic or not.

• 1 month later...