1/72 RS Models Henschel Hs-132B

As I'm waiting for some PE to arrive for my Hokum build I have started on another project, this:

P1130563_zpsk0quwqx6.jpg

I like RS kits as they pick some unusual subjects. This aircraft got as far as prototype wings and fuselage being built but never assembled before it was captured by the Russians. This is the version with a Jumo 004 engine, there is another version of the kit with the BMW 003 engine. There are two grey sprues moulded using short run technology so a bit of flash, slightly soft detailing here and there and no locators. The incised panel lines are nice and crisp though:

P1130564_zpszbo1yzx7.jpg

The clear parts are nice and clear and there is a decent decal sheet with four markings options:

P1130565_zpsp8lzojy5.jpg

I have also ordered this PE set from Hannants so that should arrive in a day or two.

I found that the smaller BMW engine parts were included:

P1130568_zpsqkso2l15.jpg

I mocked up both versions to see what looked best:

P1130566_zpsdzvsvop2.jpg

P1130567_zpstzoribbt.jpg

In the end what clinched it in favour of the Jumo engine was the better looking intake on that engine. I knew I had some spare nozzles so I looked those out but the bullets are too long so will be sticking with the kit parts:

P1130569_zpse1wugxki.jpg

The pilot was supposed to lie prostrate with pedals behind him. There was the prominent ejector mark under the pilots couch which will have to go:

P1130570_zpsowgzrnsr.jpg

The instructions give a rather optimistic portrayal of the actual moulded detail. I wondered what this hand symbol means - turns out its "scratch build":

P1130571_zpsyb7jtqca.jpg

With the floor done I found another mark on the lower right wing:

P1130572_zpsbqvkh61w.jpg

I have also assembled the bomb.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 9

Right up my (one of my) street(s) Nigel. I've just been discussing this one. I wonder if the Russians ever got the wings on it? Just an incredible concept, basically a man strapped to a jet engine with minimal *everything* else :o!

I had wondered what this new RS kit was like, as long ago I had the Huma one, but lost the transparency :doh:. The Huma was quite nice, this looks more sturdy with 21st century detail.

That photo etch set looks nice.

Looking forward to this

:popcorn:

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1

I have this on my wish list so obviously I'm in for this :popcorn:

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one Nigel :)

• Like 1

Hmmm, got the Huma sitting in the stash.... so,

:popcorn: + :drink:

Christian, exiled to africa

Why not turn this into a buddy build with Nigel then?

Martin

• Like 1

I started the day by prepping all the engine parts ready for some paint. Here I'm masking the edges so that I can still glue it together with liquid poly:

P1130576_zpsbrlo0qpa.jpg

Next I drilled out the guns and cut some 0.6mm tube for them:

P1130577_zpsqfkwwp8u.jpg

Here they are mounted ready for painting on sharpened tooth picks:

P1130578_zpsuvuuspke.jpg

Then the postie arrived with the PE set, excellent service from Hannants there:

P1130579_zpsfs9r1uxc.jpg

The PE provides a complete, much crisper, replacement for the cockpit so I got to work on that. I felt that soldering it together would provide a much more robust unit than using CA:

P1130581_zpslt6gpz1r.jpg

The first joints were made with electronic solder, the next set of joints were done with 145C melting solder:

P1130582_zpsydxmebm4.jpg

This was the set up for adding the next piece also with 145C solder:

P1130583_zps49nyp8rl.jpg

Then I folded up and soldered the couch:

P1130584_zpsi3ljmkq7.jpg

The hollow underside of that provided some of the space for the retracted front wheel. That was then attached using 70C melting solder:

P1130585_zpsxtz2wmqm.jpg

Now a bit of thinking is required on how to proceed next.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 8

Why not turn this into a buddy build with Nigel then?

Martin

Love too, but everything is packed for the move to Dar-es-Salaam :whistle:

(Pheww, that was a close one...)

• Like 1

I have been mainly dealing with the PE today. I decided that the pedals and their associated mechanism should be added to the cockpit next. There should be a mounting slot at the top but it was barely perceptible so I widened and deepened them with my JLC saw:

P1130587_zps7pobx3z6.jpg

That was then soldered on at the back:

P1130588_zps0touqwok.jpg

This was my fixturing arrangement to then solder on the actual pedals:

P1130589_zpsobf3xml9.jpg

The PE set provides a control column, I decided to use it but first gave it more of a 3D feel by adding some solder:

P1130590_zpsmmrunezi.jpg

The pinched aluminium tube is there to stop the solder flowing onto the mounting tab as can be seen here:

P1130591_zpserhgyjgh.jpg

Using a similar technique I added a dab of solder to the end of some 0.3mm rod as a starting point to replace this PE lever:

P1130592_zpspturvevv.jpg

That was then wafted though my burner's flame to make a nice spherical end:

P1130593_zps46kzhj4p.jpg

This is how I got it soldered in position with some of the 70C solder:

P1130594_zpsacnuzg3s.jpg

As a reminder this is quite small:

P1130595_zpsd9exzuvf.jpg

After adding a few more bits and bobs I (hopefully) closed off all the holes and gaps with some slightly diluted Kristal Klear:

P1130596_zpsgfqhhg3o.jpg

The set provides this replacement for the side wall detail:

P1130597_zpsmjgfwli9.jpg

The moulded detail was removed with a combination of motor tool and skinny sanding stick action:

P1130598_zps9toccunt.jpg

After filling a couple of dings I glued in the preformed part with extra thin CA:

P1130599_zpsra9tes0l.jpg

With both done I masked the fuselage halves ready for some paint:

P1130600_zpse9p7pnwm.jpg

The final job of the day was to add the fins to the bomb and then these PE strips:

P1130601_zpsivrxis3n.jpg

I think that just needs finishing off with some PPP round the fins.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 11

Thanks guys, in the end I used Vallejo putty on the bomb fins as the nozzle makes this a bit easier to work with than PPP:

P1130603_zps1xjyqpt4.jpg

Here it is after it was cleaned up with damp cotton buds:

P1130604_zpszc1ex61p.jpg

Next I assembled the wings and added the PE detailing to the wheel wells:

P1130605_zpsqmae3xkh.jpg

Next I sorted out all the replacement undercarriage doors, they all needed to be given a slight curvature to match the local surface:

P1130606_zpsgly0nmmb.jpg

By now I had quite a few parts ready for some paint. I first applied Mr Metal Primer to all the metal parts, then white on the back of the instrument film and grey primer on everything else:

P1130607_zpsz3rnod3o.jpg

After a thorough inspection and a little tidy up here and there I could start to apply some of the top coats:

P1130608_zpsrqljmcka.jpg

With those dry I could unmask and start to assemble the engine:

P1130609_zpscbpnfyox.jpg

After the two nozzles had been superglued in place and left to set I got the whole thing together:

P1130611_zpsfhosieig.jpg

The final job of the day was to cut out the instrument film and glue them to the back of the instrument panels with thinned Gator Grip:

P1130610_zpsrljhif3b.jpg

With a bit of luck I should get the cockpit finished tomorrow and the fuselage closed up.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 5

Today I started with an airbrushing session, getting some RLM02 on the undercarriage doors and bomb and RLM66 on the cockpit. Here's how it looked after unmasking the leather upholstery:

P1130614_zpsxctdrbev.jpg

I had also glued the back plates on the instruments. I then gave the cockpit and walls a dark dirt wash, did a bit of detail painting and touched up the film edges visible on the instruments:

P1130615_zps1pisn5cm.jpg

Now I could glue in the cockpit, I did this by applying CA generously to the cockpit wall:

P1130616_zps04wef8zb.jpg

Cockpit in I also installed the kit bulkhead. I had repainted it with RLM02 in an effort to make the PE more visible (its not really, its like a black hole back there):

P1130617_zpsz1kxd4ph.jpg

Now I could add the required nose weight. I first closed off the wing mounting holes with strips of 0.7mm card and then locked about 10g of lead in place with a big mix of black Milliput. I also used a bit of it on the back of the engine:

P1130618_zps6mmomet0.jpg

Next I closed up the fuselage:

P1130619_zps0szbjopg.jpg

Oops, I had missed adding the seat belts which would have been easier before close up but it was still possible so I got them assembled:

P1130621_zpsl5cf7qsm.jpg

Here's a bad photo of them in place:

P1130622_zpsgtdb5slo.jpg

Next in went the instruments, PE front piece, armoured glass and a home made gun sight:

P1130623_zpsg5becuzg.jpg

There were some unsightly gaps in the front gear bay so I closed those off with some Krystal Klear:

P1130624_zpskvulrdfw.jpg

Perhaps seen a little better with a flash:

P1130627_zpsifdw0aqz.jpg

Next I started masking the canopy which needed various arcs of masking tape made with my compass cutter:

P1130629_zpsirtbtutn.jpg

Here is the masking completed with liquid masking on the front:

P1130630_zpso0a50baj.jpg

I should get that on tomorrow along with all the flying surfaces.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 5