This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

davecov

My Norway Visit - July 2016 - Bergen, Eidfjord and Oslo

Aileen and I have just returned from a week in Norway. We spent three nights in Bergen, one night in Eidfjord and three nights in Oslo. We travelled between each place by car which was a novelty for me because I had never driven a left-hand drive car before and never driven abroad! I took hundreds of photos but here are a few from each location.

Bergen, showing the famous fishmarket at the right and at the top of Foyen Mountain is the Fløibanen Funicular Railway stop:
Img_0968.jpg

The view from the top of Foyen Mountain looking back to where the first photo was taken:
Img_1083.jpg

Bryggen (Norwegian for wharf) has a row of buildings with narrow alleyways inbetween the shopfronts leading to lots of interesting wooden buildings:
Img_1011.jpg

A quick stop to admire the view whilst on the road:
Img_1209.jpg

Our hotel in Eidfjord where we stayed in a room on the second floor on the left:
Img_1239.jpg

The view from our hotel and quayside was stunning:
Img_1238.jpg

The Oslo Opera House:
Img_1299.jpg

Helena, a fjiord sightseeing boat:
Img_1303.jpg

Oslo Tram:
Img_1318.jpg

Changing of the guard at the Royal Palace in Oslo:
Img_1349.jpg

We took a boat over to the Norwegian Museum of Cultural History at Bygdøy, Oslo. A fascinating collection different buildings from all regions of Norway:
Img_1454.jpg

The Gol Stave Church which was built in 1157–1216 and relocated from Gol a private museum in Oslo in the 19th Century. Eventually, this museum was absorbed within the Norwegian Museum of Cultural History:
Img_1513.jpg

Nearby was the Viking Ship Museum where we saw the Oseberg viking ship. It was too big to get it fully in shot:
Img_1542.jpg

The world famous Kon-Tiki within it's own museum:
Img_1614.jpg

The FRAM museum in Oslo, across the road from the Kon-Tiki Museum. At the front it says that it is the best museum in Norway and I was sceptical of the claim. However, it tells the history of Norwegian polar exploration and contains two ships, the Fram and the Gjoa. Lots of information on the Norwegian explorers including, of course, Roald Amundsen between 1893 and 1912. Captain Scott is also well represented. My only complaint is that we didn't have enough time there. To the right is the entrance to the Norwegian Maritime Museum:
Img_1657.jpg

That's all folks!

Dave

Oslo Tram:

Img_1318.jpg

Hi Dave,

My wife and I got on that tram, 13 Bekkestua, at exactly that stop beside that little park last Thursday!

Mike

No sign of any Skua wrecks? :)

Dave,

Thanks for sharing these. I was fortunate enough to live and work in Norway for six years with my family and your photos brought back many happy memories and highlighted some of the things we miss. The allure of Scandinavia proved too much though so we are now even further East and living in Estonia. It's an equally attractive country although it does not have any fjords or mountains (as my Norwegian work colleagues often remind us !) but Tallinn is a great city with a very picturesque old town - well worth a visit if you have not been and considerably cheaper than Norway !.

....Tallinn is a great city with a very picturesque old town

Plus a nice and friendly model shop!

Plus a nice and friendly model shop!

You obviously know more than me then…….I've done a pretty extensive tour of the city and not found it yet…..?…..Care to elaborate ?

I'll send you a pm with the details and directions, otherwise we'll be hi-jacking this thread.

Mike

Hijack away!

I am just glad I didn't find it whilst I was there!

Dave

Thanks Dave,

here is a copy of the directions that I sent to Tiger331:

It is on Mustamae Tee and is tucked away behind an office complex or something like that called Kullo. It is just south of the Selver supermarket and opposite a Toyota dealership. the model shop is called Mudelspordi OU

I bought a full set of 1:200 plans of the russian Kirov class missile cruiser and some Trumpeter 1:350 aircraft kits there.

On Mustamae Tee, the Toyota dealer opposite Kullo
toyota_dealer.jpg

Kullo Huvikeskus
kullo.jpg

If you drive up to and then around the left side of Kullo Huvikeskus - there is a car park at the back
side_of_kullo.jpg

go to the next block and there is a little door in the side (up a few steps) and the model shop is inside there.
mudelspordi_ou.jpg

HTH

Mike

Looks like a lovely little hidey-hole away from prying spouse's or girlfriend's eyes!

Dave

It is and it took about 10 minutes walking around the blocks before we found it (hence why I have posted the photos, for future visitors). The owners were really friendly although none of us could understand each other's language! My wife found the 1:200 Kirov plans set but thought they wouldn't be any use as they were in Russian. :banghead: I had to explain that detailed drawings are international!

Mike

It looks like you had good weather.

I've been lucky enough to travel to Norway quite a lot with work. I've been to Bergen once but most of the time it's Stavanger. I've never been to Olso thus far. I went with my wife last July and she loved the place.

We're kinda hoping to go back this winter.

Apparently Norwegian is one of the simplest languages for an English speaker to learn? The sentence structure is very similar, and the letters aren't too hard either!

Bergen was a bit on the cold side for Aileen. She had four layers on and was still moaning about the freezing weather!

I had tried to learn some Norwegian in the months preceding my trip but I failed miserably! Not to worry though as everybody seemed to speak better English than I did!

Dave

Bergen has a reputation for being one of the wettest places in Norway. Ironically the two times that I visited (admittedly both in the summer) the weather was really god and one of those times was 2014 when we had a superb summer all round. Stavanger is less wet although we did have one memorable winter when it rained every day for 84 continuous days…by that I mean, it rained every day (sometimes only for 5-10 minutes in a day otherwise it would surely have disappeared. If you are planning a winter trip (anyone) be aware that Oslo will be considerably colder since it is inland and further East. Stavanger rarely goes below 0C in the winter (its on the end of the gulf stream) although we did hit -16C one December day. Not as bad as Tallinn though…..we recorded -28C in the city one weekend (and we are beside the water too !).

Hva et vakkert sted!

I'd love to go to Norway some day. The weather is just like home.

Thanks for posting the photos!