SAS 747-200

Hello fellow modellers!

At some point i would really like to build one of the 747-200B/C operated by Scandinavian Airlines. I'm just starting to look into wich kit i can use and what extras i might need. I was hoping some of you could give me some usefull tips.

SAS 747s was operated in two different liveries as far i know. The old one with the dragons head and the 1983 Carlzon livery. Which of the two I choose depends on which decals and kits that exist. Tha latter is by far the easiest paintjob, but the dragons head scheme is kind of cool. Espcially combined with the 3 window upper deck that the early 747s had.

The key questions I'm left with are these.

-What kit to use? Cutting to modify the lenght of the fuselage isnt't really an option. I have seen a Revell cutaway version of a 747-200 on Ebay, but it looks like a lot a extra putty and sanding that i could do well without.

-What engines did SAS operate on their 747s? From pictures it looks like there are at least three variants to consider.

-Is there any imporatant differences between the early passenger version and the later combi version they operated (apart from the number of upper deck windows).

-Did SAS ever operate the early "3 window" planes in the Carlzon livery?

-Are aftermarket decals for any of these schemes avaliable?

Any helpful tips from 747/SAS experts are most welcome :)

Hi,

I'm not an expert on the 747 or SAS but there are decals available for the early Dragons head livery from F-DCAL

http://www.f-dcal.fr/decals/index.php?id_product=970&controller=product&id_lang=1&search_query=Sas&results=12

Revell 747-200s pop up on eBay fairly frequently. Alternatively, Welsh Models produce a vacform kit of the 747-200 but it's pricey and you'll still need SAS decals.

http://www.welshmodels.co.uk/SL245.html

I'm sure someone else can chip in with the engines they used etc.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks Turbofan! Perhaps I'll have to bring out the masking tape after all :)

So the E-4B is the same as a -200. That is good to know. I have seen plenty of those on Ebay. Thanks for pointing towards that very relevant thread strigbag!

Hello fellow modellers!

At some point i would really like to build one of the 747-200B/C operated by Scandinavian Airlines. I'm just starting to look into wich kit i can use and what extras i might need. I was hoping some of you could give me some usefull tips.

SAS 747s was operated in two different liveries as far i know. The old one with the dragons head and the 1983 Carlzon livery. Which of the two I choose depends on which decals and kits that exist. Tha latter is by far the easiest paintjob, but the dragons head scheme is kind of cool. Espcially combined with the 3 window upper deck that the early 747s had.

The key questions I'm left with are these.

-What kit to use? Cutting to modify the lenght of the fuselage isnt't really an option. I have seen a Revell cutaway version of a 747-200 on Ebay, but it looks like a lot a extra putty and sanding that i could do well without.

-What engines did SAS operate on their 747s? From pictures it looks like there are at least three variants to consider.

-Is there any imporatant differences between the early passenger version and the later combi version they operated (apart from the number of upper deck windows).

-Did SAS ever operate the early "3 window" planes in the Carlzon livery?

-Are aftermarket decals for any of these schemes avaliable?

Any helpful tips from 747/SAS experts are most welcome :)

Congrats to your decision for a 747 build.Can't have enough Jumbo Jets :winkgrin:

The Revell E4B is probably the best and also cheapest way for an accurate 747-200.

It has some issues,but nothing that could not been easily fixed.

I built already 3 or Revell's 747-100/200 kits (2 of them can be seen in the RFI on BM) and I enjoyed these builds.

Areas that you need to be careful are mostly the underside of the fuselage were the gear bays are installed.Some Revell kits tend to be a little warped there.

The engines of the E4B kit resemble General Electric Engines but SAS operated their 747's with the Pratt&Whitney engines.So you will need some replacement engines for you build.

The best way are the Welsh Resin replacements,found here

https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?search=boeing+747&setPerPage=25&search_direction=asc&pageID=4

I have used them on my "City of Everet" 747 and they are really nice.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Alex

Edited by Alex1978

That top one is a -200 with GE CF-6 engines (which come in the E-4 kit) and the bottom one is an early -100 with JT-9D engines which come in the regular Revell kit, or from aftermarket sources. The Welsh engines are nice :)

Note that the Revell plastic is a very early -100 with a small SATCOM antenna fairing at the join of the upper deck to the fuselage roof. Your subject may not have this antenna fairing. The -100 in the photos has this fairing, and the -200 doesn't, but note that -100 in the background of the bottom photo which also doesn't have the fairing.

Skodadriver, on 14 Jul 2016 - 3:05 PM, said:

The engines in the E-4 kit are horrible and should be replaced even if you're building a CF-6 equipped aircraft.

The very best CF-6s come in the Airfix A-300. Whether that's a viable option is left to the individual.

plasticplanes, on 14 Jul 2016 - 3:11 PM, said:

I see that Braz also have the same engines. How does the two compare? Will one of them fit the Revell kit better than the other?

They'll both be about the same. Bra.Z engines are a bit generic and need work to make them fit because they're not "handed" to fit a particular wing while the Welsh engines are of course designed to fit the Welsh kit best. A modicum of modelling skills will see either option look quite good :)

Thanks Jessica.

I see that Welsh also makes a undercarrige set. It is probably a good investment for this aging kit. Does anyone have any experience with that set? My experience with resin is that it can be quite brittle. Perhaps to brittle to hold a model this size?

I have it, but haven't installed it yet. The legs are more substantial than the kit legs, which in my experience are a bit fragile. Replacing the kit legs isn't absolutely essential if they're not already broken :)

Splitting hairs here but the SAS jumbo with the GE's are actually JT-9D-70A's which were externally very similar to the GE CF-6-50. Only 7 jumbos were built with the -70A. Plus the SAS 747 in the photo was later leased to Avianca which crashed it at Madrid in 1983 due to a botched approach.

Thanks Jessica.

I see that Welsh also makes a undercarrige set. It is probably a good investment for this aging kit. Does anyone have any experience with that set? My experience with resin is that it can be quite brittle. Perhaps to brittle to hold a model this size?

I've built the Revell 747-200 twice and never had a problem with the undercarriage apart from the obvious one of trying to ensure that all the wheels touch the ground!

Only PW engines, really? Is the difference between these engines just a matter of early and late cowlings?

4018.jpg

Two_SAS_747-283B.jpg

:hmmm: learned something there.I checked all pics I have on SAS 747s in my books and magazines and not one was fitted with GE engines...Interesting.

More research on the internet after seeing these pics here showed that also GE engined 747 had the Carlzon livery.They have cabin windows and additional "Cargo" letters at the back.At least two 747F were leased from Atlas Air,both equipped with GE engines.

Also,at least one GE engined,passenger 747 wore the Carlzon livery.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Marcoscars4life/Div/SAS7472.jpg

Edited by Alex1978