Tamiya AMX-13 French Light Tank

NIce detail for jerrys, and nice gouache for the tolos... :popcorn: , cheers Joe

Thank you, cheers Francis. :)

Looking great Joe. Really like the way the Tamiya kit looks when built up. I think if I do another I'll go with the Tamiya over the Takom. I'd imagine it would be a much more stress free build.

Andy

Thank you Andy. It goes together really quick and the fit is perfect. I need to tweak the gap on the canvas cover. The rear sections are glued on, but the front section still needs to be glued in place. Also, I'm thinking I should have painted the cover more of a tan colour. These are my faults, and not the model. The Takom AMX looks more detailed, but would take a lot more work. Joe

Parade ground crisp.....Almost expecting the commander to pivot in his cupola and salute DeGaulle! :winkgrin:

Thank you SgtSquarehead. It's a nicely detailed figure. :)

The whole thing looks a very nice package.....Almost entirely unlike the Heller 1/72 monstrosity I have in my stash. :winkgrin:

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the various MM bits I've ordered (there's an AML-60 Armoured car coming too), I've not seen their stuff 'in the resin' before but it does look pretty good in pictures. :coolio:

• Like 1

I persuaded the nice folk at Model Miniature (http://www.model-miniature.com/) to sell me the turret parts from their 1/72 AMX-13, which I will be combining with a UM M4A4 hull and quite a few other bits to make one of these:

M4A4-AMX-13-latrun-2.jpg

As they were so helpful, I felt it would be rude not to buy one of these as well:

M51-Isherman-latrun-1.jpg

Just to keep it company. :coolio:

Sorry for the slight veer :offtopic:

Don't you just love the "Super Sherman"? Looks like it's been fed steroids :winkgrin: I have had one in my stash for years, must get around to building it sometime.................................

Your AMX looks absolutely perfect Joe, beautiful workmanship :goodjob:

• Like 1

The whole thing looks a very nice package.....Almost entirely unlike the Heller 1/72 monstrosity I have in my stash. :winkgrin:

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the various MM bits I've ordered (there's an AML-60 Armoured car coming too), I've not seen their stuff 'in the resin' before but it does look pretty good in pictures. :coolio:

As you say Sgt.Squarehead, it is a nice package. The AML-60 should be a nice model. I've just finished the 1/48th Scale Tamiya British Armoured Car.

Don't you just love the "Super Sherman"? Looks like it's been fed steroids :winkgrin: I have had one in my stash for years, must get around to building it sometime.................................

Your AMX looks absolutely perfect Joe, beautiful workmanship :goodjob:

Thank you Julian. Your right about the Super Sherman. I think it's a combination of the HVSS, 105mm Gun and the turret extension.

Just a quick update. I've weathered the model with pigment. But as you can see, it's a little unimaginative. I need to do more behind the wheels for a start. It will still only be with pigment, but hopefully it will look a bit better than it does now. The figure is at the painting stage, and I hope to have it all completed by the weekend at the latest.

0AB439AD-3D21-4074-BD72-8D1B8F6B6D2B_zps

The decals have been added, but do not show at this angle.

Thanks for looking, Joe.

• Like 2

Even with little weathering looks different, more real ... :popcorn: , good job for now, cheers Joe :thumbsup2:

Thank you Francis, I'm going to give it a Flory wash and see what it looks like then. Cheers mate :)

I was not happy with the pigment finish I had put on, so I washed it off using my airbrush filled with warm water. When it had dried, I sprayed the model with a Flory Dark Dirt wash. Now I will have to clean this off and hope it gives me a better finish.

362A123E-6D7F-4AD3-9874-F5CE5A796892_zps

Sprayed with the Flory weathering wash.

As you can see, I've made a start and I'm happy with it so far. It will take me a few days to finish it. I was hoping to have it finished by the weekend, but I won't have the time for that now.

Thanks for looking, Joe

• Like 2

It looks good, but the picture is somewhat obscure, the main difference seems to be in the front of the glacis.No problem, we'll be here when you get back to post. :popcorn: , cheers Joe

Thank you Francis, the lighter area by the turret mounting is the area I started to clean off. The glacis area is still coved in the wash. Hope this helps explain. Cheers Francis. :)

The June issue of Military Modelcraft International has a build up of this vehicle, plus some very good photo's of the AMX-13's rusting away in Lebanon. Worth a look if you can locate the issue.

Nice work thus far.

• Like 1

The June issue of Military Modelcraft International has a build up of this vehicle, plus some very good photo's of the AMX-13's rusting away in Lebanon. Worth a look if you can locate the issue.

Nice work thus far.

Thank you Crayons, I'll keep an eye out for it.

I've cleaned off most of the Flory wash. I have some more touching up to do, then I will highlight some areas with a silver pencil.

7DD8BB54-BAD7-4736-9CC9-70572B9E8040_zps

CC157562-A894-4318-8847-25995DE53F65_zps

Thanks for looking, Joe.

• Like 5

That's worked very well, it's added loads of depth to the finish.....I think you safely could repeat the process in a few areas, possibly with a different coloured wash for contrast, without the effect looking at all overdone. :coolio:

Your wooden tool handles are singularly excellent. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

The weathering is taking effect ... :popcorn: , cheers Joe :thumbsup:

Thank you, Cheers Francis. :)

That's worked very well, it's added loads of depth to the finish.....I think you safely could repeat the process in a few areas, possibly with a different coloured wash for contrast, without the effect looking at all overdone. :coolio:

Your wooden tool handles are singularly excellent. :thumbsup:

Thank you Andy. Spraying the wash on with an airbrush made a big difference. I think your correct about a different coloured wash for contrast. I used a brown gouache on the tool handles to try and add a grain effect. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Gentlemen, sorry it's been a long time since my last update. I've finished the model, and will take some photos over the next few days to post on the RFI forum.

In the end, I sprayed the model with a Flory wash. After cleaning a majority of this off, I then highlighted the detail with a Tamiya weathering set. The aerials are made from stretched sprue. To attach them to the mounts I used a piece of fine rubber tube. The figure is nicely detailed, but I don't think I done it justice with my limited painting skills of scale figures.

This was a really nice model to make, and went together very well indeed.

99F9481A-A0D0-4006-98F0-A024B5C1BA1C_zps

I'll take more photos and post in the RFI section in the next day or so.

Thanks for looking, Joe

• Like 2

I love watching as left, but at least I see something dark photo :oops: , no detail is appreciated ...

Cheers Joe :thumbsup:

Thank you Francis, yes the photo does look dark. I will take the others in better light. Cheers mate :)
  • Like 1

Using the Flory wash made a big improvement. Looks very good :thumbsup:

Thank you Julian. It's the first time I've used it on armour, and I thought it was very good.

Here is the link to the RFI