Airfix 1:72 Douglas Devastator TDB-1 (A02034)

Airfix 1:72 Douglas Devastator TBD-1 (02034)

USS Yorktown

Revisiting a kit I made back in the late 60s IIRC. Not a bad kit apart from the canopy which I found to be awful on this example managing to be both thick and brittle whilst also not lining up with itself or the hole it was supposed to cover.

Brush painted with Humbrol enamels. Ive read that some prefer to paint the fuselage grey, but I find Hu11 silver dries more of a metallic grey these days so stuck with it, however I used Hu99 Lemon rather than Hu24, is it correct? Dont know but I prefer it in this instance.

DSC_0006_zpsijv2xd5v.jpg

DSC_0001_zpstaddxcab.jpg

DSC_0003_zpsccdgl0u4.jpg

DSC_0008_zpsfjfhmcw4.jpg

• Like 24

IIRC the wings were in the golden yellow whereas the lemony yellow was used for markings. I don't think the difference is noticeable except in the case of both colours on the same model.

You did an excellent job: the prospect of brush painting metallics AND yellows AND reds would have me running for the hills...

I remember building the same kit many many years ago in the same scheme, in all accounts it was an enjoyable build even with my lack of modelling skills back then I recall any issues with it, although not sure on accuracy

Very nice! I have fond memories of this one, having been given it by a schoolfriend when I was 10 or 11. The interior was missing so that was my introduction to Airfix's great customer service - all parts received as ordered and on I went with gluing it all together!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot