Revell 1/32 Westland Lynx HAS.3 'Black Cat'

I love birthdays!

418190.jpg

No sprue shots, sorry, but there are heaps around on the internet.

Straight into it! Instrument panel:

P1400719_zpsvbotav7k.jpg

And sink marks filled:

P1400723_zpsdqcov9fw.jpg

Here the instrument panel is dry fitted onto the console, on the floor of the heli.

P1400724_zpsbbjnljvr.jpg

Assembled the Sea Skua missiles And Mk 11 depth charges. At least that's what the instructions say, but the blurb on the side of the box says something about Sting Ray torpedoes, so I'm not sure what they are!? (I'm no expert on such things!)

P1400720_zpsfmxdloqz.jpg

The decals look fun:

P1400716_zpsyny1voer.jpg

I want to do the black cats version though, so I probably have to invest in some decal-settling solutions. :hmmm:

Then I noticed this:

P1400714_zpstq5yqrsu.jpg

A crack on the otherwise crystal-clear parts... Spares part has been requested!

Thanks for looking! B)

• Like 6

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

71chally, yes, even to me they didn't look much like depth charges....

Update 2:

G'day folks! Got into painting the and decalling Instrument panel:

P1400736_zps1avgfczz.jpg

Oh yes, and it IS grey, it just might look green.. :hypnotised: Some touch up work later needed too.

P1400741_zpslqrpogqs.jpg

Those decals are absolutely tiny though!! :hypnotised::hypnotised: Unfortunately there is lots of excess clear stuff (I can't think of the right word...) round the decals, but I'm not going to worry about it, as I would have to repeat the process 32 times!! Not for me.. :P

P1400734_zpsl3bn5p9u.jpg

Seats assembled:

P1400725_zpsyd8z574f.jpg

P1400726_zpsauozoskl.jpg

The painting instructions want me to use 13 different colours... on the seats by themselves!! I think I will do with a couple less...

Here is the cockpit floor with some goodies added.

P1400745_zps0tkkbxhw.jpg

And with IP, seats and center controls dry-fitted.

P1400743_zpsnxgtdb81.jpg

P1400744_zpss6znb3eu.jpg

Thanks for looking :coolio:

• Like 4

Great start, making me look to the dark side...I have one of these in a spare room awaiting the 'tickling' of my interest muscle.

So I'll be hanging around watching for clues. :)

• Like 1

Update 3

A bit more progress!

Added a part to the floor and roughed up the floor slightly, to make it look like it's been walked on!

P1400791_zpsmk32xnl0.jpg

Completed the two three-man seats, to go in the middle of the cabin. There is also another one to go near the back. The legs of the chairs (especially 101c and 94b!) are quite fragile (I managed to break most of them!!) but once glued in place are pretty solid.

P1400794_zpsyvugxp0t.jpg

As I am waiting for a few paints to arrive, I'm not doing any of these steps in order, just as a note!

This is the base for the rotors, made up of 13 parts! With parts 63 and 64, i found it was pest to pair them off, stick them together and then add them to the main assembly.

P1400793_zpsonqa2bsn.jpg

P1400792_zpsotoudgut.jpg

Here is the rotor base with the rotors on. I'm deciding not to glue the rotors to the base, as you can see, it's BIG and it would be hard to store it. (If I ever would do such a thing..... :shutup: ) The stick in pretty firmly and with a bit of blue tac they should be quite solid. Hopefully they won't droop (tests seem to be promising) as they didn't on the real thing.

P1400797_zpszdcsnr0p.jpg

Completed the instrument panel:

P1400798_zpsdoj9b75i.jpg

I decided to make the weapon pylons (just for fun!) and got a bit muddled up. So they are quite complicated, mad up of 10 parts each, but the problem is that the instructions have the part numbers mixed up! Part 282 should be 285, and vice versa. This got me confused, as 285 (according to the instructions) should have a hole in it. As it didn't, i decided i would drill one in. P1400789_zpslfwozcsa.jpg

But then I looked at the sprue and I saw a part with a hole already in it.

P1400790_zpspctppbuk.jpg

So, don't make my mistake if you have this kit. (not that it really was my fault.. :banghead: )

P1400795_zpstzni3fk7.jpg

I completed the nose and the cabin interior soundproofing.

P1400796_zpsle5jlnzy.jpg

P1400799_zpsddg2ktvj.jpg

So, yeah. Thanks for looking! :coolio:

• Like 4

I have this kit and have built it up before. Unfortunatly the arms between the gotor head and the blade are not strong enought and over time they will sag which is a pitty because to mind it has to be the best value helicopter kit in any scale.

I was toying with getting some brass or ali to use which would be solid and would not bend.

Rodders

• Like 2

Update 4

Sorry about the lack of updates recently, it's just that my airbrush transformer was broken so we had to find a new transformer and solder the wires together with the plug for the compressor... so that delayed things a bit.

After that was fixed I got straight back into it, airbrushing a grey for the interior, Sea Skua missiles and rotor bases, all shown here:

P1400823_zpslz6iitcj.jpg

P1400824_zpswnayizcr.jpg

P1400825_zpsmdwyvime.jpg

I was also doing a few random sub-assemblies, including the tail boom. You gotta be careful with this as there is a little aerial, and I almost cut it off for flash.

P1400804_zps9wip0uhm.jpg

I'm waiting for a couple paints to arrive so I can spray and finish up the interior, so it may be a while before I get the body halves together....

So sit tight!

:bye:

• Like 4

An easy bit of detailing that makes a big visual difference is to drill the hole in the lifting eye on top of the main rotor head; it's modelled as a tab. Looking nice - my avatar might give away why I'd be interested.

Incidentally, the Haynes manual on the Lynx has just come out. It is quite HMA8 biased, but there are some great shots of the Black Cat colour scheme being painted for real; they project the scheme onto the side of the cab and then do a shed-load of masking. And I complain about a bit of canopy work!

• Like 2

Not a bad kit for the money really, I am in the process of doing one and using the Scale Warship rotor fold so it will be all folded up including the tail (not so much shelf space needed !).

It will be an Endurance marked machine aswell.

I had a part missing and it was the part that atatched the rotor blade to the rotor head I had to wait five weeks for it to arrive from Germany so hope you don't wait to long.

Will be following your progress and good work so far.

Guy

• Like 1

but there are some great shots of the Black Cat colour scheme being painted for real; they project the scheme onto the side of the cab and then do a shed-load of masking. And I complain about a bit of canopy work!

Can you put up a photo of that please?

I am liking the progress you have made thus far.

Martin

looks superb, has to be said that Revell have some nicely engineered kits for the price.

An easy bit of detailing that makes a big visual difference is to drill the hole in the lifting eye on top of the main rotor head; it's modelled as a tab. Looking nice - my avatar might give away why I'd be interested.

Incidentally, the Haynes manual on the Lynx has just come out. It is quite HMA8 biased, but there are some great shots of the Black Cat colour scheme being painted for real; they project the scheme onto the side of the cab and then do a shed-load of masking. And I complain about a bit of canopy work!

Not a bad kit for the money really, I am in the process of doing one and using the Scale Warship rotor fold so it will be all folded up including the tail (not so much shelf space needed !).

It will be an Endurance marked machine aswell.

I had a part missing and it was the part that atatched the rotor blade to the rotor head I had to wait five weeks for it to arrive from Germany so hope you don't wait to long.

Will be following your progress and good work so far.

Guy

Thanks everyone, your encouragement really helps!

Update 5

Some more progress... hoping that paint will arrive soon; it's been a while since I ordered it!! Still, on with the show...

Added some bits to the underside of the tail boom.

P1400826_zpsku4mkasb.jpg

Hopefully the seats are the right colour; Revell said to paint them a bronze green, but every single picture i looked at had them as a blue colour, similar to this. (one of the seats still needs another coat of paint... :P)

P1400827_zpsbdclhuro.jpg

Sprayed the wheels and assembled the gear legs. Here are the nose wheels and leg

P1400829_zps4o0yhfbh.jpg

Mainwheels and legs, on sponsoons. I still need to paint the hubs..

P1400830_zpsej7aygfn.jpg

Here is the machine gun. A bit fiddly to make, but it looks pretty cool! I saw somewhere that it mightn't be the right typo of MG for navy lynxes though..

P1400832_zps5zsvdfgw.jpg

P1400833_zpsvktqq26w.jpg

Here is the nose, with gaps filled, as well as the engine covers.

P1400828_zpse17n19zf.jpg

P1400831_zpsw6qcb0xp.jpg

Finally, here is the mesh that I will be replicating the intake covers with, and here are the kit parts as well.

P1400834_zpsfzaprgkc.jpg

Thanks for looking, tips and constructive criticism welcome :)

• Like 5

Good work I painted my seats a slightly lighter shade of blue Humbrol enamel 89 then decided not to fit them doh!

Your seats look good though.

Guy

• Like 1

Good work I painted my seats a slightly lighter shade of blue Humbrol enamel 89 then decided not to fit them doh!

Your seats look good though.

Guy

Yeah, the pictures make them look darker than they are :P