South African Airways DC-4 (WIP 2) ***FINISHED***

Jeff has thrown down the gauntlet with two builds, so here's my second entry - I'm hoping to build this one in parallel to my 747

Starting point :

SADC4a.jpg

....and what's in the box :

SADC4b.jpg

Saturday had better come around quickly before I do something stupid like South African Airways (747-400 / A300 / A320 / 727) (WIP 3) !

mike

• Like 2

Well, my two entrants are just the start, I've got a few more to add. SAA Airbus A300? Now that I would like to see you build.

The Minicraft Douglas aircraft were the best they did especially the DC-4 and DC-8.

Jeff

• Like 1

Wow! A blast from the past! A superb choice Mike and I will most definitely be following this one. :popcorn: I am dying to see you work your magic on this old but graceful lady - I know its going to be good :thumbsup:

• Like 2

...stumbled at the first hurdle !

I've been watching this for inspiration (with the volume cranked up) : SAA DC-4 video and then I managed to drag my eyes away from the intricate paint scheme on the engines :shutup: to the carburettor intake fairings......

Now look at the kit parts :

SADC4c.jpg

The kit has the long fairings of the C-54, so it looks like I'm going to have to cut and grind the four of them into shorter versions....

To start off with, it's out with the Milliput and strips applied to the undersides of the intakes :

SADC4d.jpg

While the Milliput is out, it's time to mix some up with liquid lead, and pack out the cockpit / nose cavity.

Glue the fuselage halves together and it's all systems go :

SADC4e.jpg

Underside shot and you can see that I've fitted the access door in the bottom of the fuselage as well :

SADC4f.jpg

Time to step back and let everything dry.

mike

• Like 4

Nice classic scheme, and good start, bit of a bugger about the carby intakes, must confess I didn't notice that before will have to check my old build (unfinished), but a bit late now for it.

• Like 1

Bit more work done this morning :

• Milliput in the cockpit painted matt black
  • Canopy dipped in Klear (and allowed to dry overnight) has been glued into place using Superglue
  • Canopy / fuselage join sanded down and eventually "Micromeshed"

SADC4g.jpg

...and at the risk of getting ahead of myself, wings and tailplanes dryfitted :

SADC4h.jpg

I've also managed to squeeze some time into designing some masks using Photoshop and Silhouette Studio.

SADC4i.jpg

I might have a go at cutting the masks out this evening, but I think that this is as good as it's going to get this weekend.

The thought of carving up the carburettor intakes is still hanging over me...... :hmmm:

mike

Can't see much more happening this weekend as I'm getting funny looks from the family

• Like 2

I hope you haven't forgotten Britcomp is early September Michael - you have to build something for that, seeing as how you're on a hat-trick of wins....!!

Anyway, I shall keep a beady eye on this & your other build(s)!!

Good start so far, stop dithering about with those intakes....!! :P:D

K

• Like 1

I've made a start with the intakes !

The two on the port wing have been cut back and shaped before giving the wing a coat of primer.

SADC4j.jpg

Glad that I filled the inside of the nacelles with MIlliput as the sanding eventually went through the plastic.

A bit of tidying up is required but I'm fairly pleased with the outcome.

In the meantime, the fuselage has been buttoned up, the cockpit masked (clear windows on this one Keith) and gloss white applied to the top and tail :

SADC4k.jpg.

mike

• Like 3

She is really coming along great Mike. You have done a superb job on the intakes. One would have been enough for me to attempt to tackle .... but four!!

Top work Mike. I am loving this build :goodjob:

• Like 2

(clear windows on this one Keith)

You know I'm only kidding you about those Mike, I'm starting to come to the conclusion that life is definitely too short to worry about such things, especially now with the the decals people like AA & Vintage Flyer are coming out with - & the number of things we have left to build....!!

Intakes are looking good & she's coming along nicely - you'll probably have this one finished by next weekend ! Which is more than i can say for any of my comp. entries!

K

• Like 1

Only one update this weekend. :weep:

• Four carburettor intakes shortened
  • engine fronts painted
  • cowlings glued on
  • cockpit window masks pulled off

SADC4l.jpg

Next move will be to

• blend the cowlings in
  • glue the taliplanes on

Thanks to the tricky paintwork scheme on the engine cowlings, I'm thinking that I may have to paint them before I glue the wing section to the fuselage.

Thanks for looking.

mike

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Turmoil at work and our annual holiday has been causing havoc with my building schedule. Having said that, it's given the white paint a good chance to harden without the risk of getting finger-prints in it.

• A couple of the exhausts have been drilled out and fitted into place
  • I've also managed to clean up the props and dry-fit them (Don't worry Dr E - they'll be spinning when I've finished with them - half way to a Shackleton !!! :bleh: )

SADC4m.jpg

mike

• Like 2

Pushing on as fast as I can.

• I've finished working on the wings and they've been given a lick of primer.
  • The fuselage cheatline has been masked off with my home-made vinyl masks

SADC4n.jpg

Next up will be to mask the top of the fuselage before joining the wing section and filling any gaps. Once that's been completed, it will be time for the gloss black base coat before the metal work can start.....but I'm getting ahead of myself.

mike

• Like 3

Turmoil at work and our annual holiday has been causing havoc with my building schedule. Having said that, it's given the white paint a good chance to harden without the risk of getting finger-prints in it.

• A couple of the exhausts have been drilled out and fitted into place
  • I've also managed to clean up the props and dry-fit them (Don't worry Dr E - they'll be spinning when I've finished with them - half way to a Shackleton !!! :bleh: )

SADC4m.jpg

mike

Haha, I only picked up on this thread by accident, good to know I'm one of the many voices on your shoulder ;-)

Up there with Keef looking forward to the spinny Shack (I'd bet good money it'll be SAAF...)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Managed to get the polished Aluminium on before bed
  • Props painted and fitted (but not glued into position)

SADC4p.jpg

Hope to try and get some more done this weekend but I must avoid the temptation to rip the masking off to see if it's worked.....must avoid.....must avoid.....

mike

• Like 5