1/144 Eastern Express 737-300 (Soyuz-Atlant)

Hello all,

Here's my entry, I was drawn to it by the markings. It will be a nice challenge to spray the blue and red paint job. I'm somewhat scared of the kit decals though, there is an aftermarket for a -800 I may have to use if the kit decals fail.

27538073520_2f09d79ba2_o.jpgee14423 by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

Ryan

• Like 3

Another Eastern Express 737. I'll be watching this one to see where/how the kit gets its reputation from...

Jeff

The reputation is very accurate, as far as I can tell from my build. Good luck Ryan! I think we might need to have our own support group after this...

Also I have an interesting story about Atlant-Soyuz if anyone wants it.

• Like 1

Well since the GB has officially started here are pics of the kit.

The single page instructions are very simple, note the cockpit insert looks nothing like the part in the illustration! :)

28319704086_9f54c9c6f3_c.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

The small decal sheet is well printed, the finish is very flat...not sure how these will perform during application....

28353330495_036f89d2c1_c.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

The fuselage is warped pretty bad, but can be sorted out.

27737251604_11d9058de2_c.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

28249925112_467ff21a89_c.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

Though a bit flashy, the gear and engine bits aren't too bad.

27737236754_94d67227bf_b.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

The wing sprues are the sharpest molds of the kit, very nice. While the fuselage has very little or faint panel lines the wing engravings are well defined.

27737759533_d1fd4c9cb4_c.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

That's it for know, time to get building!

Ryan

Edited by The 3rd Placer
  • Like 2

I see the fuselage warp comes as a built-in extra, free of charge, on all EE 737 kits. I didn't notice that the cockpit insert is that different from the instructions, thanks for pointing it out! and by the way, be careful with the horizontal stabilizers/elevators - for some reason EE chose to mold them in two pieces each, an upper and lower half. These two don't fit together very well, resulting in nasty seams and gaps and the leading and trailing edge. A lot of sanding and test fitting is required to get a somewhat acceptable joint between the two, and then you end up with a completely flat mating surface, making the two parts tricky to align properly. You may also want to sand down the trailing edge to make it more sharp like on the real thing and less of a flat edge at the back. In this case, you would also need to rescribe some of the lost detail.

• Like 1

After gluing on the cockpit transparency, a fair amount of putty was required to blend it in....it will take a few more sanding swipes and primer to eliminate the join.

28423331895_12f95d174e_c.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\
}

Looking at the tail end I noticed something was not quite right...yes the elevators are at different heights!

28318461062_9071898d7e_c.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\
}

Last update is on the wings, they have a very thick trailing edge. I did scrape them a bit but still had to block sand the edges to get an acceptable edge, this wing still needs a little work.

28318467212_40c1be548a_c.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\
}

Eastern Express if you are reading this please refrain from fusing together and copying other companies kits. Your quest for quick "new" product turn around and fast cash will only hurt in the long run. This model was clearly cobbled together from a couple of other manufactures kits and it shows with all the problems I have documented. I have some home grown EE kits in the stash and they are great, please give us new products designed from your own company.

Ryan

Edited by The 3rd Placer
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's a pity. I hope mine doesn't end in the same way...what specifically happened?

And if you get a minicraft kit, you could build it for my suggested Boeing Centennial GB if it goes through!

(Shameless plug)