Donaldson International Britannia **FINISHED**

I haven't really looked at the props yet but if all else fails I have a set of Welsh Models metal ones.

That's probably the best way to go Dave.

Just had a look at one of my Welsh Models Britannia kits and unfortunately the both have only the vac formed props.

As MigFan says above, a resin set would be welcome .

Chris.

Just a quick update since work has rather got in the way recently. (Although I'm officially retired I work part time mainly doing holiday and sickness cover. Inevitably the summer is my busiest time.)

I've spent a fair bit of time faffing about with the scribing. How I wish I could learn to "leave well alone"! After several rounds of being dissatisfied, filling, re-scribing, re-priming, being dissatisfied, filling, re-scribing, re-priming etc etc I've finally got to the point where things are as good as they'll ever be. I was all set to do a final rub-down before masking when I discovered I'd run out of steel wool. I hope to get some more tomorrow or Wednesday, then get the masking on and hopefully spray the white top before I head off for my own holidays at the end of this week.

More soon.

We seem to have reached what Winston Churchill would have called “the end of the beginning” and G-AOVC has now received her first coat of white. In accordance with my usual practice the paint is Halfords Appliance White decanted and airbrushed.

SAM_2154.jpg

SAM_2155.jpg

It’s a matter of personal choice but where the fuselage is two colours I always mask the division from the outset. I know others are happy to spray the whole fuselage white and then mask but I just find it easier to do it this way. Once the paint is fully cured (24 hrs minimum) I’ll remove the masking and get to work with Micromesh. In my experience some adjustment is usually needed to the demarcation and I’d rather do that with the white than the natural metal. When I’m happy with everything I’ll re-mask and apply the final coat of white before starting the natural metal.

In between masking and spraying I assembled one of the props to see if I had the same issues as MiGFan79 and Stringbag. Trying to remove the blade section from the sprue without damaging the actual blades was interesting and the joint with the spinner is poor. After some work with Mr Dissolved Putty and Mr Surfacer I thought I’d got it looking OK but a squirt of primer showed otherwise.

SAM_2153.jpg

I suspect the Welsh Models metal props may be an attractive alternative.

I’m off on holiday at the weekend so there won’t be any more progress for a couple of weeks.

Back at the beginning of September

• Like 8

Nice finish on the white there Dave.

That's the same issue I found with the spinners as well. I wonder if a separate spinner and blades would be the answer? Might give that some thought when the time comes.

In the meantime, have a good holiday.

Chris.

• Like 1

I've not primed my propellors just yet but i'm 99% certain i'll have the same issues. Funny thing is the Eastern Express IL18 i'm building is an inferior kit in every respect to the Roden Britania except the props, which have seperate spinners, blades and backplate and after a bit of tidying go,together very well. There is definatly a place for a decent set of aftermarket props.

Skodadriver

I was looking for something and found this. Britannic announced page in Flight 1959. Thought you'd be interested.

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1959/1959%20-%200495.html

Was that the early 'working title' of what became the Belfast??

• Like 1

Skodadriver

I was looking for something and found this. Britannic announced page in Flight 1959. Thought you'd be interested.

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1959/1959%20-%200495.html

Thanks Russ. The Britannic looks like something the "What if..." SIG would come up with! I'm away from home at the moment and the article is hard to read on an iPad Mini but I'll look forward to seeing it properly when I get back to my desktop.

• Like 2

Thanks Russ. The Britannic looks like something the "What if..." SIG would come up with! I'm away from home at the moment and the article is hard to read on an iPad Mini but I'll look forward to seeing it properly when I get back to my desktop.

I've also found an Eagle comic cutaway (remember them?) of a double deck Belfast airliner with the Airbus label ! The ones we had just had a stub Deck, maybe 15 foot ish. for more seats at the front end of the "Cavern". I can't put it on here but could email it to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone remember the Short /Lockeed project of the Belfast with Starlifter engines and flying surfaces? I am definitely enjoying this build as I have three on the production line now, but progress is slow! If I ever work out how to put the photos on here I would gladly show you! !

Edited by Britman
  • Like 1

Well that's me back from holiday and picking up where I left off.

The masking has been removed and the white polished up with Micromesh. The left side was fine but the right needed a bit of adjustment and touching up. Things are looking OK so far:

SAM_2161.jpg

SAM_2164.jpg

The photo above was taken before polishing and the Micromesh took care of the small section of raggedness.

Next job is to mask and spray the grey section of the rear fuselage which I'll have to guesstimate because I can't find any underside photos of Donaldson's Britannias. After that the natural metal areas will be sprayed with Tamiya TS-17 which I will polish with steel wool to give an undercoat for the AK Interactive Xtreme Aluminium.

Russ - I'd love to see the Eagle cutaway. I'll pm you my e-mail. I expect to see Joe Cherrie, founder of the "What If..." SIG, at the Glasgow show next month and I'm sure he'll be very interested.

• Like 7

Does anyone remember the Short /Lockeed project of the Belfast with Starlifter engines and flying surfaces? I am definitely enjoying this build as I have three on the production line now, but progress is slow! If I ever work out how to put the photos on here I would gladly show you! !

The Jet Belfast, it was going to have four RR Conways, probably the VC10's version, not the type fitted to Boeing 707-420 and DC-8-40

• Like 1

A little more progress - the lower rear section of the fuselage has been painted grey, the white has been masked and the the natural metal areas sprayed with Tamiya TS-17.

SAM_2165.jpg

SAM_2167.jpg

I know proper modellers normally use black as an undercoat/primer for natural metal but since I abandoned Alclad in favour of AK Interactive Xtreme Metal I find the colour of the base coat makes very little difference to the finished appearance, a view borne out by this article. I also know from long experience that no matter how good I think my preparation has been there will ALWAYS be at least one flaw I’ve missed. TS-17 (or TS-30 which I sometimes use) will show that up as ruthlessly as any other metallic paint allowing me to sort the problem before starting the final finish. TS-17 also has the additional benefit of being extremely tough. I’ll let it dry for a few days then rub it down with superfine steel wool which should provide a nice base for the natural metal.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Of the many ways to mess up a model, picking it up by a nicely finished natural metal wing when one of your fingers is contaminated with cellulose thinner has to be among the most stupid.  I still don’t know how or why I did it - normally I’m scrupulously careful only to touch a natural metal surface with a cloth or tissue but my brain must have slipped out of gear this time.  With more luck than I deserved, the serious damage was underneath but it still had to be rubbed back to the bare plastic and re-finished.  Thank goodness I wasn’t using Alclad which I’ve always found completely unforgiving when it comes to touching up.

Anyhow, enough of the self-inflicted problems.  G-AOVC is progressing. The basic metal is AK Interactive Xtreme Aluminium with Dark Aluminium on the engines.  I thought about picking out a few panels in Matt Aluminium for a bit of contrast but after a test spray I couldn’t see any discernible difference between the matt and standard aluminium so I think I’ll leave well alone at the moment and maybe do a little weathering with pencil lead later. 

I normally fit the undercarriage before I start the decals (no idea why but it's been my S.O.P. for longer than I can remember) so I’m off to paint the wheels, a job I hate only slightly less than rescribing!  I'll use my normal Tamiya Rubber Black for the radome and ADF fairing as well.  Hopefully by the time of my next report G-AOVC will be standing on her own legs, so to speak!

SAM_2179.jpg

SAM_2180.jpg

• Like 4

Looking good Dave, can't wait to see the Donaldson decals on this one!

I've just picked up my BA 1-11 by the freshly kleer painted tail bullet, I think I got away with it though but I often do stupid things like that, you're not alone!!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 2