Donaldson International Britannia **FINISHED**

BTW number one modeling task I hate...scribing! (Second is applying a wash) :)

Ryan

I don't mind re-scribing lines that go round the fuselage but I hate re-scribing a flat surface. One of my other current builds is a Revell A330 and if you've ever built that kit you'll know how badly the lower fuselage panel fits. I'm having to re-scribe the whole area including all the curves round the undercarriage doors. I'll get there eventually but I can only be bothered doing a little at a time.

• Like 1

I've finally given up trying to finish the B738 for the Dundee show tomorrow so I've managed a little more time with the Britannia.

The fit between the upper and lower halves of all four engine nacelles wasn't great:

SAM_2078.jpg

... so that's been sorted and the panel lines reinstated although I suspect a little more work will be needed once I see the result under some primer:

SAM_2082.jpg

At the same time I fettled the leading edges and tidied up a few small defects. Oddly the tip of the left wing was thicker than the right one so that has been attended to.

Finally, a request for information. Does anybody know if the narrow fairing which Roden have moulded at the rear of the outer nacelles exists on the real aircraft? It isn't present on the F-RSIN kit. I can't confirm things one way or the other from photographs and there isn't a preserved Britannia anywhere near where I live. A link to a photo would be really helpful.

SAM_2085.jpg

• Like 3

skoda

PM me your email address, I'll send you a few pics of the outbd jet pipe fairing. It looks like the flash is the extra "meat" .

Edited by bzn20

Just a quick update to prove that I am still working away quietly!

As others have found the fit of the exhaust covers is poor, particularly the outers. They took a bit of filling, sanding and general fiddling but the finished result isn't too bad:

SAM_2090.jpg

Big thanks to Russ (bzn20) for sending me some very useful photos of the rear of the outer nacelles which confirmed that the strange "fairing" between the engines and the trailing edges is fictitious so I removed it. I have still to do a final clean up as you can see in the above picture.

The fit of the cowls to the nacelles is poor and several applications of Mr Surfacer 500 are going to be needed to sort it:

SAM_2094.jpg

The build is progressing much as I expected although I have to say that F-RSIN have definitely made a better job of the engines in their kit. Once I'm satisfied with the wings and engines I'll get the airframe assembled. The wing to fuselage joint looks excellent and I wondered about painting the model as sub-assemblies but I've always been a "stick it together and mask it" builder so I'll go with my usual practice.

Back soon.

Dave G

• Like 5

The join on the nacelles and then the front part of the engine is the worst part of this kit, i slung lots of surfacer on mine as well.The wing roots and stabilisers just needed a quick smear of surfacer using the cotton bud trick. It's a much nicer kit than the Eastern Express IL-18 i'm currently beating into submission!

• Like 1

That's a strange coincidence! I was thinking about an EE IL-18 as a possible second GB entry although I've decided against it. What livery are you planning?

I am intending to do LOT as it's a lovely scheme and fairly easy to paint (white). It's not a brilliant kit but it's not crap either. In two days i have a fuselage and wings glued and well on the way to filled. Main issues are warped fuselage halves and the fit of the wing unit into the fuselage but surfacer and sanding sticks are getting the upper hand slowly but surely!

• Like 2

I was looking at Aerocaribbean Cargo using 8a Decals and my decision not to go ahead was as much due to accuracy issues with the decals (red cargo door outline way too small, red rear door outline far too big, blue titles many shades too light etc) as any concerns about the buildability of the kit. I may revisit it later because it's such a wonderful scheme but I'd rather sort the problems in privacy and in my own time!

• Like 1

With the help of copious quantities of Mr Surfacer 500 I have managed to get the engines looking just about acceptable although I fully expect them to need significant further work once I see them under a coat of primer.

Now it's time to assemble the major components

Some nice anhedral on the left tailplane.....

SAM_2098.jpg

.... easily sorted by using a manicure board to open up the locating slot:

SAM_2102.jpg

(Just noticed the training edge of the fin needs a little attention!)

The wings fitted easily and something Britannia-like is beginning to emerge:

SAM_2105.jpg

I don't run the tidiest work bench on the planet and the remnants of the black insulating tape used for re-scribing the engines is prominently visible.

I won't have any modelling time tomorrow but as soon as I can I'll tidy up the wing and tailplane joints prior to priming.

• Like 5

Ray, if you want to call it a method here's how I go at it. I find the adhesive quality of insulation tape varies widely and the starting point is to get some that sticks really well. Cut a thin strip and stick it in place aligning it as best you can with any remnants of the moulded detail. Burnish it down as firmly as you can (I use the handle of my scalpel) then use a scalpel to start re-scribing gently and carefully. After a few passes I usually remove the tape to check that the line is correct. If it's OK I reapply the tape and carry on until the line is the desired depth. I finish off with a scriber and a rub with wet and dry to remove the inevitable ridges. Very thin strips of insulation tape can be used on curves (e.g. the inner undercarriage doors of the Revell A330/340) but it's crucial to get tape that really sticks and to proceed gently so there's no risk of pushing it out of position.

• Like 3

Very nice work there, the Donaldson scheme is a favourite of mine on Brits!

General question as I don't do many airliners, what is the reason for filling in the cockpit and cabin windows when you have clear parts available?

• Like 1

General question as I don't do many airliners, what is the reason for filling in the cockpit and cabin windows when you have clear parts available?

Many 1/144 airliner modellers (including me) prefer to use decals for windows. Ultimately it's a matter of personal taste and the amount of effort you're prepared to put in.

Some highly skilled builders get fabulous results with clear windows. This is only one recent example. I don't aspire to such a level of excellence and basically I'm lazy. Decals are much easier when the kit has wrongly placed windows (Revell Boeing 737-800, Airfix DC-10) or the prototype has several different door/window arrangements (Boeing 767) or you've done a conversion involving cutting and splicing bits of fuselage. In some cases the fuselage will be solid (F-RSIN and most resin kits) so you have to use decals, there's no practical alternative. With laser-printed decals a cheatline will normally have the windows printed on it although the Donaldson sheet is unusual in that it provides separate windows.

Window decals have improved enormously in recent years mainly thanks to the Lehmann brothers who run Authentic Airliners. Believe it or not this model is done with window decals and shows what can be achieved.

I’m continuing to make steady progress. The wing and tailplane joints have been attended to. Very little filler was needed for the wings, only a small amount of Milliput on the lower right joint:

SAM_2116.jpg

The other three joints just needed a smear of Mr Surfacer. A little Milliput was needed on the tailplanes but nothing exceptional.

Various holes have been made for the anti-collision beacons and aerial masts and I’ve added the single ADF(?) fairing which G-AOVC carried.

SAM_2112.jpg

While I was using the drill I made small marks at the bottom of three or four windows on each side to help with masking and location of the decals. It pays to think ahead:

SAM_2119.jpg

Next step is a final check on the scribing around the engines and the wing roots then it’s off to the paint shop for the first coat of primer, hopefully in the course of next week.

• Like 6

G-AOVC has now had her first coat of Halfords Grey Plastic Primer and is looking quite reasonable.

SAM_2132.jpg

SAM_2135.jpg

I have always agreed with the wise modeller who said that priming should be thought of as the last stage of building rather than the first stage of painting and to me one of the main purposes of priming is to show up faults. The scribing needs a few adjustments particularly around the engines (as I had anticipated) and there are some other areas for attention but overall I’m happy with where we are.

I’ll let the primer harden thoroughly for a couple of days before any further work which means an opportunity to start on my other Roden build, the DC-6.

• Like 4

I'd be interested to hear your views on the spinners and prop blades Dave.

In my view, they're probably the weakest element of the kit with a seam line that I feel will be awkward to eradicate.

I hope my concerns are unfounded and I'm sure they won't present you with too much trouble. I'm looking forward to your solution in this area.

Your Britannia is looking well I must say.

Chris