Revell Airbus A319 and V1 Decals Air Côte d’Ivoire

^ that's how the paint was finished. It was thinned with cellulose thinner and sprayed at my usual pressure. Then it was lightly applied. But for some reason the paint didn't settle that well in the panel lines. It's on the underside and not really going to be seen.

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

Update time with a little game, spot the difference!

20161030_185106.jpg

Sadly there's no prizes but if you spotted the different registration then give yourself a pat on the back!

These are the updated decals very kindly sent by Ben Sweezey and his www.V1decals.com company. As mentioned previously I emailed Ben to enquire if he could print me a small green box with a different registration so that I could remove the French registration and apply the in service one. Very generously, he not only said he could but that instead he would reprint the entire sheet and send me a complimentary copy along with an order I just placed. 

MANY THANKS BEN FOR YOUR GENEROSITY . 

So I'll soon be able to restart this little bus and push it closer to the finish line.

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 5

Well done!! Like I said no prizes but its really given me a renewed enthusiasm to get it finished. I even applied a Pas Decals flight deck decal (phew! repeat that a couple of times after a drink or two) and am very impressed by its appearance . I'll upload a picture later.

I may even start adding the main colours soon!  

Jeff 

• Like 1

Flight decal applied. First time I've used one of these photoreal decals and I quite like it. I like the fact that there aren't 4-6 pilots on the flight deck as other decals show and it's colours are a bit more subtle instead of the overly bluey green appearance from others.

20161031_081332.jpg

I may add a couple of main decals before I go off to work, just so as they can be drying. I've got an eye on the calendar and reality has begun to sink in that there isn't much time left....and 4 months seemed so easy!

• Like 3

This really has been a fascinating thread Jeff.  Is that a PAS cockpit windscreen?  I've used them a couple of times and rather like them although being laser you can only put them over something white.

Hi Dave.

Yes, this is the PAS Decals windscreen. So far I've been impressed by them. One thing I've noticed is that I've left a paint ridge around where the vinyl paint masks came off. This in turn has given the whole windscreen a very slight recessed appearance (only very slightly though). Also, I'm very pleased with the fact that the decal matches exactly the window outline left when the masks were removed - bonus!! Not too happy about the frame outline but if I'd more time I probably would have cut out each pane separately and applied them that way. 

20161031_092836.jpg

A start has been made on the main colours. This is the first time I've used V1 decals. They're very thin and conform beautifully to the details on model. I used hot water but will use cold water next time as the decal seemed to be "uncomfortable" with the heat. Once on they can slide around easily allowing correct positioning before they grip. I've used Set and Sol with pleasing results. The larger decal from each side will cause a problem or two and I may cut them down into more manageable sizes.

So far, so good. This stage is always nice.

Jeff 

Really getting fed up with autocorrect/ autoreplace...
  • Like 4

Updated with one picture only

20161101_180023.jpg

The large green fuselage stripe is supplied in one single piece as can be seen in the picture further above. However, I cut the stripe just behind the rear door and at an angle in front of the over wing exit giving me 3 separate decals.

Overall, the decals lined up very well with each other but not quite so well with the moulded on detail. The grey tail plane scuff plate was cut off as it was a bit too low compared to the moulded area and will be replaced with the kit marking and the overwing exit decal is just slightly ahead of the door engraving . I can understand why some advice is to fill all window and door outlines. Additionally, I  need to remove the first solid grey window so that there are 2 blanked out windows just aft of the forward  left door (same for the right side).

The decals have performed really well and are very thin, settling down nicely over detail. It all went a lot smoother than anticipated . 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

That's a lovely scheme Jeff, looking very nice.

1 hour ago, TrojanThunder said:

Yes, looking good Jeff

Thank you very much. It's amazing how some models can languish for a while then all it takes is something to stir us back into action with renewed vigour!

Again, a single piccie update but still progress...

20161101_221631.jpg

I'm beginning to see the advantage of these photoreal decals - from this angle there appears to be detail and features within the flight deck. Nice.

Tonight I have been mostly applying those small static vents and warning markings to the model. These have come from the BA/ Germanwings decal sheet from the kit. Tomorrow if time permits, I'll make a start on the right side.

Jeff  

• Like 4

22 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

That livery looks great Jeff

On 02/11/2016 at 7:23 PM, Grandboof said:

Nice one Great choice of livery 

Martin H

Thanks! It is a nice livery and from the numerous pictures of their aircraft, it's one they're proud of too as the aircraft appear to be kept fairly clean in contrast to some Asian carriers whose machines are streaked in dirt and grime and look awful.

Right side now decalled.

20161103_191107.jpg

I'll give the decals a couple of days to dry before washing it carefully and then applying a good coat of varnish to even out and protect the finish.

Then it'll be time to think about adding the engines, undercarriage and antennae.

Jeff  

• Like 4

Another round up of todays progress. 

The decals have been allowed to dry for a few days then I carefully washed the model to remove Set and Sol and finger prints. The wings were sprayed a mix of Revell Aqua gloss and matt varnishes and the fuselage was sprayed with Klear and Tamiya flat base (about 10% flat base). This knocks back the very shiney finish to give an almost matt appearance from some angles but catching the light on the fuselage allows the underlying gloss finish to shine. 

The undercarriage has been fitted and painted. Light weathering has been added to the wings and door runs. 

20161106_234340.jpg

This is where it is tonight. The wheels have been repainted for the third time and are drying. They'll be fitted tomorrow, as too will be the engines (possibly).

Jeff

• Like 3

On 07/11/2016 at 1:25 AM, Guilherme Kosciuv said:

Nice colors!

23 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Very nice Jeff, that cockpit decal looks very effective in the above photo.

18 hours ago, stringbag said:

That is certainly a good looking livery Jeff, even to those of us with a fetish for cheat-lines.

Lovely job all round.

Chris.

Thank you all. 

The end is in sight!! 

The wheels have been added and I'll let the glue dry off before I remove the tip-toe appearance and flatten the tyres.

20161108_155627.jpg

The Zvezda engines are in the process of being attached. The pylon is slightly different in shape at the attachment point compared to the Revell ones. The Zvezda pylons are flat sided on the outside face and don't feature the fairing that should be there. This is correctly portrayed on the Revell items.

20161108_163237.jpg

Jeff

• Like 4

20161108_225426.jpg

Almost done.

Just a few more things to do: paint the leading edges natural metal, remove the stupid looking decal from the intakes, add an upper anti collision light and paint the exhaust pylon rear fairing - this is a separate part on the Zvezda kit to cater for the raised or lowered flaps. The piece is too long for the Revell wing and had to be cut back.

The wing walk way limit lines were added using a fine tipped ink marker  (0.1 mm tip). I find this gives a more scale effect rather than the heavy black lines normally included on decal sheets. Using a ruler gives perfect straight lines instead of the wavy style I usually achieve with the decals! I may just add generic scribbles to hint at the wording along the lines.

The steps are from the Airfix Comet kit and the people are from eBay. I've has these little guys for some time and only recently dug them out to add a bit of life to the model. I may also buy a display board.

20161108_225533.jpg

20161108_225558.jpg

20161108_225643.jpg

You may be able to see the horrendous finish I was skillful enough to apply to the model. For some reason the Klear and Tamiya flat base varnish coat went on badly around the forward left fuselage, beading up and refusing to settle down smoothly. Next time, I'll brush paint it on.

The V1 decals were great to use and I didn't have any of the problems I'd anticipated trying to apply such a large piece. They settled down very nicely and responded well to Micro Set and Sol. A pleasure to use.

Jeff 

• Like 3

On 30/10/2016 at 7:05 PM, pinky coffeeboat said:

Update time with a little game, spot the difference!

20161030_185106.jpg

Sadly there's no prizes but if you spotted the different registration then give yourself a pat on the back!

These are the updated decals very kindly sent by Ben Sweezey and his www.V1decals.com company. As mentioned previously I emailed Ben to enquire if he could print me a small green box with a different registration so that I could remove the French registration and apply the in service one. Very generously, he not only said he could but that instead he would reprint the entire sheet and send me a complimentary copy along with an order I just placed. 

MANY THANKS BEN FOR YOUR GENEROSITY . 

So I'll soon be able to restart this little bus and push it closer to the finish line.

Jeff

Well done Ben

4 hours ago, POTKC said:

Could I ask...which stupid-looking decal on what air intake do you mean? I can't seem to find anything stupid-looking in the photos...

The stupid looking decal is visible on the inside of the intakes. In an attempt to hide the join, I applied a silver coloured strip of decal. This was meant to simulate the join sometimes visible on the intake lining that stands out as being a slightly different tone than the rest of the intake. They have since been removed.

• Like 1