Royal Navy Gnat Zell

Devilfish

Built for a GB over on What-if.....

In 1960 the Royal Navy started looking at ways in which to protect it's fleet from airborne attack without the need for big expensive carriers.
One of the concepts favoured was that of the old catapult armed merchant ship, but brought up to date.
A plan was devised where a number of ships would be modified to carry up to 4 small, fast, maneuverable fighters to act as air defence.
To launch check them, they would be fired upwards at an angle with a rocket booster. Landing would be either by "dropping" onto a rubber deck and arrester net combo, or, as a last resort, ditching and taking to a life raft.
The Folland Gnat was chosen as the base aircraft. Initial intentions were to keep it fairly off the shelf, but arm it with 2 Firestreak missiles. The F.1 entered service in 1965 aboard the only ship to be converted, renamed HMS Zellous.
By 1974, the Gnats were getting a bit out of their depth and plans were made to scrap them. However, funds were made available to improve them, and the F.2 was introduced. It featured a small AI radar, a 30mm cannon and AIM-9 missiles replacing the obsolete Firestreaks.
The F.2 soldiered on until 1984, before finally being retired.
An F.2 has the honour of the first kill in the 1982 Falklands war, as HMS Zellous was on a routine supply run to the islands as the invasion started.
All 4 Gnats were launched within a matter of 20 minutes, a crew record (the ship only carried one launcher)

20160712_185906_zpsnzw20bmn.jpg

20160712_185913_zpsnwhjedcy.jpg

20160712_185918_zpseth6clwr.jpg

20160712_185946_zpsaexr1jmx.jpg

20160712_190007_zpslvnavuzk.jpg

• Like 11

Great thinking! I suspect the time on the rocket burn to be only marginally less than time on internal fuel in the Gnat! What was it they said - the Gnat was already fuel critical if the taxi out to the runway was lengthy?!

• Like 1

You did know that in 1956 the Gnat F1 WAS considered for navalisation and use from conventional carriers. It was rejected as getting to a launch airspeed by catapult involved accelerations considered to be too great. And on the smaller carriers the deceleration on landing was also expected to be excessive.

More lift from the wing would have of course reduced the problem but that required a bigger aircraft which wouldn't have been a Gnat.

I suppose a ZELL would have solved their problems

• Like 1

Like the bit about the rubber mat landing. The late Lt CD-R Winkle Brown in his book Wings on my Sleeve, spoke of tests to land on a suspended mat, and there were some photos....the idea was to overcome stresses on under carriage .

Like the bit about the rubber mat landing. The late Lt CD-R Winkle Brown in his book Wings on my Sleeve, spoke of tests to land on a suspended mat, and there were some photos....the idea was to overcome stresses on under carriage .

Yes, that's where I got the idea from.

The idea was also to get rid of heavy undercarriage, which was being carried around purely for 2 short phases of the flight.

• 4 weeks later...