South African Airways 747-200 (WIP 1)

Apologies for going AWOL !

Long time overdue but work has finally resumed on my 747 :

• Glued the tailplanes together (lots of flash) :

SA747l.jpg

• Friendly reminder from Revell on the underside of one of them :

SA747k.jpg

• Glued the wings together, but once again, loads of flash to be cleaned up.
  • Having lost the transparent parts, I've had to replace them with short lengths of clear rod. These were painted chrome and then black before gluing them into place.
  • I've also filled the slots for the kit engine pylons. As I'm using aftermarket engines, I'll need to have a foundation to pin them into place.

SA747j.jpg

SA747i.jpg

• The landing lights have been sanded into shape but I'm afraid I only had 4mm diameter rod to hand. They look too big now but I'm hoping that a bit of judicious masking should bring them back to the correct size.

SA747n.jpg

• Bits and pieces dry-fitted :

SA747o.jpg

• I've also had a go at using some of the etched brass on the wheels :

SA747m.jpg

Here's hoping to keep the updates a bit more regular, but with so much else to look at in this GB, it's not easy !

mike

• Like 5

Friendly reminder from Revell on the underside of one of them :

SA747k.jpg

You sure that's not the top of the port tailplane.... :P:D

Nice work on the landing lights & those wheels look good!

Hope you enjoyed your hollybobs - don't forget it's Britcomp the meeting after next - SAA 747's & Douglas Commercials not eligible!! (and no, I still haven't finished anything for it!)

K

• Like 1

Nice to see you back Mike, I am also impressed with 60 plus entries for far! I waste far too much time checking everyone else's builds and not enough on my own :D

The landing light fix looks good, will have to give it ago on one of mine. I find the kit parts a bit undersized to start with so putting bigger parts in makes tidying up the wing easier.

• 1 month later...

Time to resurrect my 747 after having managed to finish the DC-4.

• Fuselage halves have now been joined and work has started on sorting out the joint seam. (After the DC-4, I think I'm going to be needing two hands for this one !)

SA747p.jpg

• One of the wing undercarriage legs has had some attention. Here it is with the other :

SA747q.jpg

Progress is likely to be slow on this, but stay tuned.

mike

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the interest Martin but I'm afraid this build fell many hurdles ago - Work deadlines pulled rank on GB deadlines

This is as far as I managed to get :

SA747r.jpg

Slightly further than the shorter SP version that ran out of steam in my hands some time ago :

SA747s_2.jpg

...and then of course, there was another distraction (which wasn't eligible for this GB), but seemed to to take priority over everything else ?

Test%206.jpg

They'll all get finished......just as soon as I can unscramble my brains !

Just like to take this opportunity to tanks the Mods and everyone else for their support along the way.

Much appreciated.

mike

• Like 4