1/48 Jaguar International - IM, SN, OS

RMP2

Am I being silly here or is there nothing out there in 1/48 with the correct pointy nose?

The A version isnt the same is it? What about the pitot?

Yknow that feeling when youre sure youre missing something? Well, thats what Ive got.

:poke:

Ive got pretty much all versions and colours nailed down now, but Im not sure about the pointy one. Can you guys kick me in the right direction, please?

Or just kick me for being stupid. :)

Edited by RMP2
Updated.

'The pointy nose' is the French one. All the 'chisel' nose ones are British built, or in the case of India, licence built from the British version. The Agave radar equipped maritime version was a British design but only went into series production in India.

As for two seaters, the Omani (and French?) ones had refuelling probes as opposed to pitots ".

Trevor

Thats what my head said, but in French colours it just doesnt seem to look right.

There was a change re the French and Omani two seaters and refuelling probes, yes, I got that, cheers. Just seem to have gotten myself muddled re the pointy ones. I blame stress.... or something.

Thanks. Its the soft lined Heller or the dreaded KH then. Far too many Jags in the stash!

^^^ short tails, gloss finish and no ventral strakes would make them prototype aircraft. I'm no expert on the French ones but they aren't operational ones. However they show the 'French nose' very well.

Here is the 'British' single seater nose

http://images.forwallpaper.com/files/images/c/ceb8/ceb8798d/335790/sepecat-jaguar.jpg

.....and whilst I'm at it, the Omani two seater with built in in-flight refuelling probe.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5c/8e/a9/5c8ea9379af2efab347d842412c89670.jpg

Trevor

A few of the very early RAF GR.1s had the pointy nose initially, being retrofitted with the LRMTS (and tail mounted RWR) after a couple of years' service with the OCU. At least one of them even received the wrap-around dark sea grey/dark green camouflage scheme before retrofit.

Edited by T7 Models

Cheers guys.

Im all good re the "chisel" nose and the Oman refuelling thing, but still I find the French nose looking different in their colours be it grey n green or the deserty schemes they used... must just be my eyeballs as I found no mention of it in books here.

Strange things are colours and what they do to shapes. At least for me anyway. :)

Good to hear, thank you, makes life a lot easier for a change!

The Airfix 1/72nd GR1 was originally issued with pointy nose - see if you can find a copy of the box art? The illustration - and kit - were then modified to the LRMTS 'chisel' nose

Simon

^^^ short tails, gloss finish and no ventral strakes would make them prototype aircraft. I'm no expert on the French ones but they aren't operational ones. However they show the 'French nose' very well.

It's A04, and it has strakes, but I think the proto/pre-prod ones were smaller. It has also the protruding splitter plates, and unkinked tailplane (I think though am not sure this was also fitted to A's).

RMP, you have another choice, two in fact: The Esci and old tool Heller A's :wicked::bleh:

• Like 1

Its my head saying theyre different from the French ones, Ive been trawling images determined to prove that my head was right, but its not. This is a good thing. :)

John - Ive never seen anything regarding that big conk Jag, do you have any more info and/or pics? Either way - thanks for posting, its interesting stuff.

• Like 1

It's A04, and it has strakes, but I think the proto/pre-prod ones were smaller. It has also the protruding splitter plates, and unkinked tailplane (I think though am not sure this was also fitted to A's).

RMP, you have another choice, two in fact: The Esci and old tool Heller A's :wicked::bleh:

Theres two toolings of the Heller? I thought it was just a rebox?

The ESCI is another rebox of the Airfix/Heller joint effort isnt it? It comes with some interesting decal options though from memory.

Cheers for the replies, guys.

A pointy one is on its way (the one we shall not speak of), but the more I look around the more Im unsure whether to use it for a French aircraft or try to find decals to suit an early RAF marked Jag, if such decals exist.

Edited by RMP2

The ESCI. kit is an original and not a rebox. It disappeared when the company folded.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/130235-esci-4034-raf-b-a-jaguar-gr-1

The Revell kit is a rebox of the former Airfix/Heller shared mould.

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/airfix/kit_airfix_7104.shtml

http://hlj.com/product/HEL80428/

Kitty Hawk's kitty is new.

The only other Jaguar in larger scale is an old Heller 'M' to 1/50 scale.

http://www.oldmodelkits.com/index.php?detail=20492

Trevor

Ah, again I was going by my head and memory of the parts - very similar construction to the Airfix/Heller.

Aye, the Revell rebox is just that, I have one here and its quite a bit nicer than the Airfix it seems, for what appear to be a much better decal sheet if nothing else. No warp, no flash and the canopy looks to fit a little better for whatever reason.

We dont talk about the Kitty Hawk here. You know better than that.... although my 3rd is on its way to make a full house of KH Jags. Sadistic, huh?

The 1/50 was one that put builders into mental care institutes wasnt it?

The M is also a temptation to try to knock up though, Ive got the spare Phantom nose wheel leg for a start and all I need for the Indian and Nigerian versions, Ecuador decals, pretty much got all versions apart from that covered... I can see this getting a bit out of hand here!

Cheers for the precise list though. :)

• Like 1

The Revell kit is a rebox of the former Airfix/Heller shared mould.

The only other Jaguar in larger scale is an old Heller 'M' to 1/50 scale.

Essentially yes, but it's even more complicated:

- The Esci was also reboxed by Revell in the late 70s and early 80s, and there was a dedicated A boxing (both by Esci and Revell) - so an older Revell box (with H-2xxx number) contains Esci plastic, while the recent blue box is Heller/Airfix.

- The Heller 1/50 kit was available in three versions, namely A (possibly with an S option, which then was much the same as the A anyway), E and M.

• Like 1

Its my head saying theyre different from the French ones, Ive been trawling images determined to prove that my head was right, but its not. This is a good thing. :)

John - Ive never seen anything regarding that big conk Jag, do you have any more info and/or pics? Either way - thanks for posting, its interesting stuff.

No sorry, I only know what it says on the drawing, there is no other info with it. It does say at the top of the drawing RAE's 1 seat Jag could it have been intended for XX765 it also has leading edge extensions, although they are different to the ones when she was FBW.

Do you mean somebody came up with that bulbuous nose shape and actually thought it was a good idea?

It doesn't do much for her looks I know.

John

• Like 1

Not to worry, John, I will spend a bit of time searching about and see if anything pops up.

Its rather Russian looking from the side, sure Ive seen a Bear or something with a similar proboscis.

Interesting stuff, thanks again.

EDIT - Ah, you found more! Good stuff, I do like the design thoughts that change aircrafts looks so much from what we are used to.

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 1

Not to worry, John, I will spend a bit of time searching about and see if anything pops up.

Its rather Russian looking from the side, sure Ive seen a Bear or something with a similar proboscis.

Interesting stuff, thanks again.

EDIT - Ah, you found more! Good stuff, I do like the design thoughts that change aircrafts looks so much from what we are used to.

Is the nose different on the T.2 it looks much longer and thinner to me?

John

It does look skinny in that photo, but... I think it could just be the light reflecting off the top of it or a tad over exposure or the light from behind blowing the image out a bit.

Ive been told off for posting Airliners photos, I hope a link is ok as this shows how skinny it can look and is comparable - http://s12.postimg.cc/inkmu734d/jaguar_Flight_T2_3_LHS.jpg