Air Berlin - Boeing 737-800 - Revell 1:144

I built this on and off for about a year, with extensive pauses because of unforeseen circumstances and health issues. Eventually got it done though, and then found out about a local modeling exhibition and entered it. You can see the build thread here, although most of the decaling process is not very well covered. I managed to put the left side windows onto the right and vice versa, which led to some pretty extreme moving around and cutting out of windows to save the build. A few of decals, especially parts of the thin red cheatline, refused to stay put, which warranted the use of diluted PVA glue to keep them in place. Metallic leading edge decals on the tail and horizontal stabilizers went on fine, but the first one I tried to apply to the wing (there are two massive one and two small ones per wing, I tried one of the big ones) crumpled up and partially disintegrated almost immediately. I ended up masking off and drybrushing all of the leading edges on the wings and winglets. The winglets, by the way, were left uncorrected, as I didn't want to overcomplicate my first (proper) build. Here are the photos:

r5Pqvso.jpg

E67y5f1.jpg

y08ZzcR.jpg

1eFhBjp.jpg

The modeling exhibition I mentioned earlier - Mini MAKS 2016 (MAKS being the bi-annual airshow which happens just outside Moscow) - ended two days ago, and it turns out that my 737 got 3rd place in the under-18s category. I was quite happy about that, especially considering that the prize was two new airliner models.

Having never applied so many decals on such a large plane (my actual first model was a Zvezda 1:200 Ju-52 with, like, five decals), I had no idea how to make them set properly. This led to quite a lot of decal silvering. I have no idea how to prevent this in the future, so...any advice?

• Like 14

Before applying the decals give your model a coat of gloss varnish, this should help prevent or reduce silvering. Using decal solutions may help too - I use Microlset on the area I will apply the decal and Microsol afterwards if it needs to be made to conform to any odd shapes, but there are plenty of other decal solutions out there. If you need a matt finish use a matt varnish once the decals have dried completely.

I used to fly back and forth to Paderborn on Air Berlin to see my 'lady friend', now my lady wife; so your cracking model brings back some great memories.

• Like 1

Cool model and a very nice result.

As mentioned above,using decal solvents help a great deal to settle the decals on the model and a glossy surface prevents (mostly) silvering.

I also use Microset and Microsol but there are some other solutions around,also from Revell.Household stuff like vineagar and a few drops of dishwashing soap in warm/hot water for the decals also helps.

Keep those airliners coming...I stay tuned for your next project

• Like 1

Before applying the decals give your model a coat of gloss varnish, this should help prevent or reduce silvering. Using decal solutions may help too - I use Microlset on the area I will apply the decal and Microsol afterwards if it needs to be made to conform to any odd shapes, but there are plenty of other decal solutions out there. If you need a matt finish use a matt varnish once the decals have dried completely.

I used to fly back and forth to Paderborn on Air Berlin to see my 'lady friend', now my lady wife; so your cracking model brings back some great memories.

It's nice to know my model did more than infuriate me and then stand on a glass shelf for a week. Personal connections with models/nostalgia related to the model are, I think, the best part of the hobby - even if the model isn't your own, and I'm happy to have brought back memories. Also, thank you very much for the advice - I'll make sure to follow it when it comes to decaling my WIP 737-300.

Looking good young man!

Oh boy...I miss our old livery. I'm now 10 years with Air Berlin and the company has changed so much...unfortunately not in the right direction

In what capacity do you work for Air Berlin, if you forgive me asking?

Wow !

In spite of all of the difficulties you seem to have had, you've done a cracking job.

Well done on the 3rd place !

:thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

Well thank you very much, kind sir!

That's another nice airliner to grace these pages.

Chris.

Thank you very much!

No problem...I'm a ground engineer B1

OK, I see, thanks! I really like the old livery too, by the way...