Hobbycraft 1/72 DHC-8 / Dash-8

6 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice, I can't recall which livery you were completing it? had you picked one?

Brymon Airways. I originally thought BA Landor and bought the decals and paints for that but decided that as BA were the authors of the change that eventually killed Plymouth airport I wasn't going to display a model in their livery.  So now I will have two models in Brymon colours (DHC-8 and DHC-6) but at least they will be in old and new style markings - when I get round to building the Twotter that is 😁

Then, some way in the future, I will complete my Devon/Cornwall civil collection by building the BEA Rapide, Southwest Aviation Skyvan and Isles of Scilly Skybus Islander that are in the stash. And then there's the HP Herald kit that's missing an upper wing half which might, just might, emerge in Brymon colous one day with the help of a scrap B-29 kit - the outer end of the wing of that is a good match in chord and taper to the Herald wing so it could be a starting point for surgery. I'll also have to home brew the decals for that.

I really should spend more time modelling and less time planning (or is that dreaming...............?).

• Like 2

Just started decalling, thought I'd do the difficult ones first so I tried one of the fin ones and it went much better than I feared, conforming well around even the tight curves at the top. A bit difficult to get it perfect on the leading edge so I think a little paint might be needed but hopefully it won't be too noticeable.

spacer.png

• Like 4

On 9/7/2016 at 8:03 PM, Scott Hemsley said:

Of a general note, while in a PM discussion of his build and in addition to the refinements rossm has already done to his build, he suggested I post the following list to aid others embarking on the HobbyCraft Dash 8 kit. This list of obvious kit flaws originally appeared on the decal placement instructions for a CT-142 'Gonzo' (Canadian Forces Dash-8 navigation training variant. The 'Gonzo' nickname stems from the long bulbous nose and it's resemblance to the Muppet's character, Gonzo) that was produced by Leading Edge Models. Unfortunately, the two CT-142 sheets Dave Koss did, are now long OOP.

However, this list will apply to all Dash 8 builds - military or civilian:

- nose too narrow

- cabin windows too large. (If your aftermarket decal sheet provides decals for the cabin windows, that may be an option to consider. This may be an issue if the final appearance of a chosen livery is dependant upon a relationship of the windows to a cheat-line )

- wing root fillet too small. It needs to be 'beefed-up' both on the front and the rear, as well as widened.

- the 'mystery bump' running along the base of the fin fillet and a portion of the rear spine, needs to be removed. (I would suggest backfilling a portion of this bulge prior to it's removal, lest you go through the plastic)

- engine nacelles too square along the bottom

- engine air inlet-to-spinner contour not deep enough

- tail bumper incorrect size/shape

- APU inlet/outlet not present

- Dash 8 doesn't have a 'gull wing'. Dave suggests you fill the wing directly above the fuselage to make it straight and level between the nacelles, then add a 2deg dihedral to the outer wing sections

- elevators/ailerons need a more airfoil shape

- tires/wheels are inaccurate

- small wing fence needs to be added near each wing tip

Scott

And another one which I found after test fitting the Nazca decals for the rear section of the u/c doors...............

Judging by the walkaround photos the flaps are too narrow in chord and the fairings for their actuators are too long. Hobbycraft have, however, correctly lined up the u/c legs with the forward edge of the flaps. Result - the u/c legs and moulded well are too far aft so the Nazca decals would end up in the wrong place. Applying LTS I'm going to have to remove a chunk off the forward end of the decals which won't be seen as it's on the underside of the nacelle in order that the part that can be seen ends up in roughly the right place. Nazca 1 - Hobbycraft Nil.

I've also found there should be 'Brymon' titles on the inside faces of the nacelles which aren't present on the S+M sheet, a pain as I can't get to my laser printer to print my own for several weeks.

Decalling continues...................

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All the S+M decals are now on along with a few of the Nazca ones. I've not yet had a reply from S+M regarding printing some smaller Brymon titles for the inside of the engines so might have to do that myself when I can access my laser printer. All the S+M decals settle down well, I'm really impressed by them.

I'm a bit torn when it comes to using the Nazca decals for panel lines, as you can see below one engine has got them and the black on white looks a bit stark and busy but the other engine looks bare. I'm beginning to think I should have cut some of the detail off and just left the outlines. What the upper wing panel lines will look like I'm not sure but I'll add those for the spoilers - which really have to be there - and decide on the rest after that. The one for the rear door looks good and settled down over the raised panel line that I really should have removed first.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

Doesn't this kit just keep on giving!

Another error to add to the list - unless the Nazca decals are wrong - the aileron chord is too broad, it should be the same as the flaps.

Correction, I now think the kit ailerons and outer wing spoilers are correct, shame I filled the spoiler lines based on the Nazca drawing!

This is going to be hard to fix at this stage but it's also hard to kludge it if I'm going to use the decals and they do look sufficiently restrained for me to try.

spacer.png

Edited by rossm
Correction
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...