Hobbycraft 1/72 DHC-8 / Dash-8

On 7/13/2016 at 01:39, Graeme H said:

Great to see someone do this

I have a lot of photos of the Dash 8 let me know if you would like any, strange I didn't give them to Julien to put up on the Walkarounds

You did;

• 2 years later...

It's been a long time on the shelf of doom due to the poor fit / quality of the windscreen parts but I've decided to just do my best to polish them once the fuselage halves are together - a process I've started today. The lack of certainty in aligning the two halves means it is being done in stages as I don't have enough clamps/clothes pegs/fingers to do it in one go. I tried putting plasticard tabs on the inside to help but as the mouldings are different thicknesses that hindered as much as it helped. 

Stage 1 just glued from the elastic band to the wing hump, stage 2 has gone from the hump to the fin/fillet join and so it will go on.

spacer.png

• Like 4

Nice to see you pick this one back up. As I said in an earlier post, it does wind up looking Dash-8 shaped. Here is my 20 year old effort, if it looks like it has had battle damage, it has!

9781150A-1BA3-4F03-93A1-2BF793C64656

Edited by Robin-42
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Robin-42 said:

Nice to see you pick this one back up. As I said in an earlier post, it does wind up looking Dash-8 shaped. Here is my 20 year old effort, if it looks like it has had battle damage, it has!

Looks like you put some work into it, hope I can get mine to look like that.

Looking at this with interest. here are some images that might help with your build. Bear in mind these are of a Q300, but the nacelle and exhaust details are the same as the 100.

The engine cowls are worth noting. These images are of left hand engine cowls, whereas the right hand ones are in reverse. On the left nacelle, the oil door, the small rectangular one in the triangular side cowl is on the outboard cowl, on the right hand nacelle it's on the inboard cowl. Also note the wee circle below the side cowl. On the outboard side of both nacelles this is the wing inspection light.

48247089556_0ab03fa190_b.jpgCowl inbd

48247089501_5eebd940b4_b.jpgCowl outbd

The exhaust shroud on the Dash is called the fingernail, for obvious reasons. Note the natural metal panels on the top.

48247178152_d11f91be03_b.jpgFingernail

48247178167_ae1146e9f5_b.jpgExhaust upper

The engine intake and spinner. The intake has a de-ice boot on it.

48247178067_41540d9386_b.jpgIntake

Noting the model, the windows look way too big and those fuel tank panels on the upper wing are way too small. If you need any more images, PM me.

48247089651_9589f44bea_b.jpgCompass swing

Edited by nuuumannn
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nuuumannn said:

Looking at this with interest. here are some images that might help with your build. Bear in mind these are of a Q300, but the nacelle and exhaust details are the same as the 100.

The engine cowls are worth noting. These images are of left hand engine cowls, whereas the right hand ones are in reverse. On the left nacelle, the oil door, the small rectangular one in the triangular side cowl is on the outboard cowl, on the right hand nacelle it's on the inboard cowl. Also note the wee circle below the side cowl. On the outboard side of both nacelles this is the wing inspection light.

Fantastic pics, thanks. For the panel lines I have been wondering about using the Nazca decals, your pics confirm they would be good as they have very fine black outlines for the cowling and upper wing panels. I'm worried about how easy they will be to apply given how delicate they look but I'll have to find a way to get them on.

I already have the decals but here is the link http://www.nazca-decals.com/html/dash-8-1_300.htm

Thanks, rossm. Now those decals look quite the business and replicate your panel lines excellently, including the upper wing fuel tank panels. I notice that the decal also has lines for the APU, it's worth remembering that not all the -100s had an APU fitted. Great work so far.

• 4 weeks later...

Progress has been slow, not worth a photo but I'm now on the third application of Mr.Surfacer to the fuselage joint in the two or three spots that need it after a mega sanding session this afternoon.

• Like 1

I'd not been following this closely but that will change, even though its not my chosen scale for Airliners the details info is always good to know. I've just ordered a 1/144 Ozmods Dash 8-300 kit from BNA in Australia with Air NZ decals & can see some Nazca detail decals coming this way too. mean time I'll be poaching your build for all the detail tips I can get @rossm :)

Steve.

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'd not been following this closely but that will change, even though its not my chosen scale for Airliners the details info is always good to know. I've just ordered a 1/144 Ozmods Dash 8-300 kit from BNA in Australia with Air NZ decals & can see some Nazca detail decals coming this way too. mean time I'll be poaching your build for all the detail tips I can get @rossm :)

Steve.

You're welcome! I'm grateful for all the information that I've been given via this thread.

I made some more progress last night while SWMBO was at her samba band practice and barring any imperfections that come to light when I start painting the fuselage join is now sorted.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Still going slow, more filling and sanding, this time the upper wing panels so I can use the decals. Have also drilled out the intakes (should have done it before I joined the nacelle halves) and applied loads of MrSurfacer around them to try and improve on the kit shape.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2016 at 8:03 PM, Scott Hemsley said:

- Dash 8 doesn't have a 'gull wing'. Dave suggests you fill the wing directly above the fuselage to make it straight and level between the nacelles, then add a 2deg dihedral to the outer wing sections

I'm now looking at this, I've drilled the wing roots and inserted some 3mm (ish) Contrail tube stubs to take a 2mm brass rod wing spar but I'm having trouble ignoring the result. Don't want to do more surgery though.

Relying on the tube stubs without the brass rod spar I can clamp it to the brass tube I used for the exhausts. As far as I can see it's square so I'm going with the slight 'gull' effect which is a bit more noticeable from the front but not worth worrying about as far as i'm concerned. Glue being applied shortly and then (fingers crossed) it's on the downhill slope.

spacer.png

Edited by rossm
Now glued
  • Like 4

At last, something resembling a Dash8, just a touch more filler needed at the wing roots then mask the cockpit and start spraying.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I have to spray outside and there has just been a day when it was possible so it now has a coat of matt white as an undercoat. One or two problem areas have shown up so it's out with the filler and sanding sticks again.

spacer.png

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Very little progress due to atrocious weather so no more spraying possible. I've been cleaning up undercarriage parts and props but that's all I can do at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice day today and we couldn't go to the "in-sins" (sort of like in-laws) as we both have stinking colds. After faffing with the airbrush for the first coat of white (see above) I bought a rattle can of Tamiya white primer and was able to just nip outside and put a coat of that on. Also did the other current build - a Mach2 WB-57F.

Santa brought me a Micro Mesh craft set so I can tickle up the primer then the next nice day we get I can put the gloss on, again I bought a Tamiya rattle can for ease and to share with the WB-57.

The end may not be nigh but it can't be too far away can it?

• Like 2

Still building up coats of white with occasional polishing out runs (whoops!). Hopefully the final coat tomorrow.

Please can anyone suggest a good grey for the underside of the fuselage of G-BRYG as in this photo https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1063032. Ideally in Tamiya or Humbrol. I'm tempted by the RAF camouflage colour Medium Sea Grey as I've got a gloss version to hand.

The first coat of grey is on and Medium Sea Grey looks ok to me. This is Tamiya XF-83 then some Xtracrylix for the second (gloss) coat. Note I've masked the rear end to try to avoid the decals as they are designed to go over white. I daresay there'll be some touching up to do. I've also done the obligatory trick of breaking the aerial off the top while masking the bottom 😥

spacer.png

Propellers now have white primer and u/c is almost completed painting so it's looking possible for the next club competition on 28th Jan 🤞

• Like 3

The underside is now done although the Xtracrylix came out darker than the Tamiya, probably too dark but LTS. I've also replaced the top aerial.

Windscreen frame has been masked and painted and now it's the turn of the exhausts. although you can't easily see the masking was as follows:-

1mm wide strip across the top of the nacelle touching the trailing edge of the wing, 9mm long piece sat centred on this purely to align a 6mm piece each side. then a long thin piece wrapped around just below the exhaust and Maskol outside this to allow for my ham-fistedness with a paintbrush. It's not perfect but as near to the shape of the metal panel around the exhaust as I can get. There is another metal panel in front of this which is covered by the Nazca decals but I might have to overpaint it to get a darker silver, we'll see.

Tamiya NATO Black has been used for the inside of the exhaust, probably with an Exhaust Brown wash to come.

Next is the silver for the panel and outside of the exhaust, finally there'll be a little black on the top of the rear portion of the nacelle.

spacer.png

• Like 3