Airfix 1/72 Seaking HC.4 - 'King of the Junglies

Well I can honestly say this has been one of the most enjoyable builds I've done in many years and I have stuck with this almost constantly without the usual distraction of another new kit arriving or loosing interest. Not quite the Out-of-Box build I'd intended, however the only extra I bought was an Eduard mask set for the windows, the rest of the changes were all scratchbuilt.

Work-in-Progress thread here -

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234997923-airfix-seaking-hc4-almost-oob-build-fiddly-bits/

Airfix, well done on a great piece of work, a type sorely needing covered in 1/72 and I for one have another two of these, and two of the HAR.3's still to go!

Alterations to the kit as follows:-

- tape seat belts on all the seats,

- additional cabin details including headset cords, sidewall linings, and emergency kit on the aft wall of the 'broom cupboard'

- rotor head rebuilt with swash plate, pushrods and a representation of the folding rotor pipe work on the blades.

- detailed the crew entry door with reinforcing angles, stiffeners and handrail assemblies,

- underside cargo lifting slings and associated cables, and controls,

- drilled out the lightening holes on the main door crew step and the IRCM mounts

- added power cables to the IRCM boxes,

- grab rail and additional support rods for the winch above the main door,

- under nose antenna replaced with fine wire and cockpit side antenna fabricated from wire,

- wire antenna along left fuselage made from fine mending thread.

Couple of things I'm not too happy with:-

- green tint to the upper cockpit windows is not pronounced enough,

- the underside sling looks slightly under scale and could have been doing with slightly thicker wire for this,

- overall finish is a bit too matt, looking at some of my In-progress pics it would have been better left slightly glossy (I'm NOT remarking that cockpit!!)

Right, time for some pics.

F6E7C69A-AEB9-44E7-957E-5AEF689A947D_zps

D131249A-219B-4409-AB52-74DE326EA794_zps

A608F453-E362-47BB-BE43-3351033C32B1_zps

65C0BFEB-469E-4203-9125-0A48DD465FAF_zps

ECBAEDDD-7A45-48FD-B18B-3242F0D8D5F1_zps

EF71C3F2-5305-42E6-A5CE-7D5A36CD5DC8_zps

306538F3-CC62-4DC1-A579-9ABCBECEEBD6_zps

4501511E-1FC7-48F1-B10A-F3BCE3E42D74_zps

D7054D62-67A9-473D-9599-BE3E278D9BD2_zps

14CFE22C-951C-40DD-A420-AD73D72D4FD4_zps

DEB5113F-EA0D-4681-8DE2-31B13D86A789_zps

CC16B4B3-070B-47B8-90FF-FFC71685F541_zps

Just a few notes added to my instructions over the course of this build!

7B8781E8-CB32-43CA-802A-2B8026A9E4FD_zps

All comments, good and bad, gratefully received, hope you like her!

Rgds,

Eng

• Like 57

Looks great! The sheen looks right to me. I like the way the photos pick up the interior detail in unexpected ways, like the wire hanging down inside in photo 2. Nice idea to use the colour scheme page for your notes, too.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

OK, start with the bad comment. There is nothing, only the two little sink marks on the boarding ladder. All in one, that is a superb looking Commando. I`m impressed with the beautiful fine paint job you did on this Helo. 10 from 10 points. Regards, Udo.

• Like 1

Wow, genuinely quite taken aback by the amount of great comments from everyone, I won't go back and re-quote everyone personally but thank you all very much, I thought it was just kinda average compared to a lot of the work posted on here.

Cracking job Eng, really lovely Junglie! Have to say that I really like the final sheen you've got on it, looks just right to my uneducated eye!

Keith

Looks great! The sheen looks right to me. I like the way the photos pick up the interior detail in unexpected ways, like the wire hanging down inside in photo 2. Nice idea to use the colour scheme page for your notes, too.

Regards,

Adrian

Looks good! That's a very neat & flat paint job, good effort!

Quite surprised no one commented that it should have been slightly glossier, but that's nicely reassuring for me as I thought I may have fallen at the final hurdle on that one, thanks chaps!

OK, start with the bad comment. There is nothing, only the two little sink marks on the boarding ladder. All in one, that is a superb looking Commando. I`m impressed with the beautiful fine paint job you did on this Helo. 10 from 10 points. Regards, Udo.

Good spot sir! You know, I'm sure I did at some point intend to try and deal with those, probably a sliver of 5 thou plastic over them but they've slipped through the net....and won't be getting touched now, those handrails on the crew steps were a pain in the a**! Thanks very much for the great feedback, after 36ish years modelling I still like to have errors pointed out and suggestions for improvement made.

Thanks all ;)

Eng

• Like 1

Beautiful, and what a great looking kit, shape looks spot on. Mmmm good job. Reckon the wire looks fine. The sheen is perfect in this scale, but possibly more for a well used machine rather than brand new paint job, and they did get dirty!

• Like 1