YaK-3 interior colours

Seahawk

Was surprised to see Zvezda recommend "aviation green", translated into Humbrol 226 Interior Green, for the cockpit interior of their Yak-3. I always thought, probably on the basis of the Dako Yak-9 instructions, that Soviet aircraft were a light grey inside. I note that Zvezda do recommend "light grey", translated to Humbrol 129 Gull Grey, for the undercarriage wells, legs and door interiors: the same colour is used as the lighter of the 2 uppersurface greys.

So: are Zvezda wrong or am I not up-to-date with the latest research?

I'd go with a light to medium grey. A-14 Steel Grey, a neutral medium grey, was the standard interior colour for the VVS during the GPW. Green might be appropriate if they left it in the primer (ALG-5 primer was a greenish colour, for example). However, the Yak-3 was a late war aeroplane, and by this time the Soviets weren't in such a hurry to get aeroplanes 'out the door' so I don't see why they wouldn't have finished the paint job. Just my tuppence, mind you.

Regards,

Jason

I would also go with A-14 Grey for a Yak 3, I used Humbrol 140 Matt Gull Grey for my builds as it pretty much matches the AKAN colour but is a bit lighter.

The upper surface greys are a lot darker than you think, here is a build using Humbrol colours that looks just about right http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234939091-airfix-172-yak-9-finished/

For the undersides AMT-7 Humbrol 89 looks good compared to the AKAN paints.

Cheers

Dennis

I think AKAN does the most accurate renditions of the late-war greys. Some find them too dark, but I used them OOB on a 1:48 Yak-3 build (I used the acrylic lacquers, but they're also available as aqueous acrylics and enamels) and thought they looked great once the painting and clear-coating was complete. AKAN also does A-14, although, as others have said, it's not too hard to replicate adequately with other greys or mixes.

I'd have said that the gear struts, wells and inner door surfaces would also be A-14 Steel Grey, and it's definitely darker than "Gull Grey." Even more so for A-11, the lighter upper camouflage color.

Edited by Seawinder