PZL.46/II Sum - Ardpol resin 1/72

That's a cracking model. I've never saw an example of this aircraft below and whilst it looks unusual I find it a fascinating subject. I'm a big softy for aircraft that some people might otherwise refer to as 'uncoventional' in their design.

First class - well done!!

Kris

• Like 1

After the (very similar) PZL.23 Karas the PZL.46 (by coincidence 46=2x23) was the last aircraft created by Stanislaw Prauss (1903-97) at PZL. After the 1939 fall of Poland he escaped to the UK to become employed by Westland (at the Welkin) and then by DeHavilland. At the DH Stan Prauss has been working on the Comet, Venom, Sea Vixen and Trident. When DH became HS his works concerned several key elements of the Airbus A300 and the HS-146.

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
  • Like 6

Nice! How was the work? I have Broplan vacu kit of this machine in stash. Not sure which is better to work on...I have some Ardpol kits in stash as well (Douglas O2 and O38E) - but I have not made any of them so far.

If I can ask - Is it that much brown or this is a some colour changes only on photo?

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Nice! How was the work? I have Broplan vacu kit of this machine in stash. Not sure which is better to work on...I have some Ardpol kits in stash as well (Douglas O2 and O38E) - but I have not made any of them so far.

If I can ask - Is it that much brown or this is a some colour changes only on photo?

Cheers

J-W

The ARDPOL kits are easy to build, so I haven't any problems with and I built they RWD-10/16, LWD-3 Zak, PZL 38 Wilk, PZL 48 Lampard, TS-8 Bies, RWD-23, PWS-33 Wyzel...

The Polish khaki was a brown color like RAF Dark Earth.

Thanks Jerzy... I am waiting now for Ardpol Curtiss Condor in Chineese markings.

Regarding khaki. Lets explain to our international collegues that on Polish modellers fora there was (and perhaps still is?) a big discussion on the shades of green/olive/brown on Polish airplanes. Recently there are on market acrylic paints by Hataka Hobby which are suppouse to be a good (for sure not for all of us) approximations of Polish military colours before WWII...

Congratulations again for nice result on Sum which recalls the unusual and heroic story of this prototype...

Lets cite from link you gave to Wikipedia:

"During World War II, the first prototype was left in Warsaw, because of a landing gear damage. On 5 September 1939 the second prototype was evacuated from Warsaw to Lwów, then on 17 September to Bucharest in Romania, where it was interned. On 26 September 1939, under pretext of delivering the plane to IAR factory in Brasov, it was flown by Riess with other three crewmen (including Witold Urbanowicz) from Romania to besieged Warsaw. The crew delivered orders from the Polish C-in-C Edward Rydz-Śmigły for the commander of Warsaw defence Juliusz Rómmel. On 27 September 1939, with most of the Polish territory occupied by Germans or Soviets, it flew to Kaunas in Lithuania. The plane was interned and left there and later captured there and tested by the Soviets."

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Miniplast do a 1/48th vacform that is a good vacform, I got one cheap, and then when hunting for info found a very detailed build by a Polish modeller,

http://www.modelwork.pl/viewtopic.php?t=5762

unfortunately the build thread has gone.

very neat work on the Ardpol kit.

Here the link to the build: http://modelwork.pl/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=4878&start=45'>http://modelwork.pl/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=4878&start=45

Two mistakes are on this kit, the front part of canopy slides under the central part, the part over the second crow member was opened like in the PZL 23 Karas.

I started this vacuum kit ca. 1988 and it is still unfinished in one of my boxes :-(

• Like 1

The Polish khaki was a brown color like RAF Dark Earth.

Yes, we (JWM and me too) know that, but having seen both the PZL P.11c and PWS-26 preserved in the Polish Aviation Museum both BEFORE and during the several restorations between 1985 and today I have to agree with JWM that your PZL.46 is (a little bit) too reddish and too light. This is the reason why JWM asked you about the lighting, because the uppersurface colour looks similar to the milky chocolate or a fresh chestnut, which would be more adequate for the PWS aircraft and not the PZL.

Basing on the preserved paint chips from the interior (thus not sun-dyed) of PWS-26 and P.11c I can say that there were two different shades of so-called Polish khaki of late 30s. The paint used by PZL was a dark field drab (close to the FS34088) and on the real a/c it was used with light bluish grey (~FS36628) undersurfaces. On the other side the PWS-built a/c were painted khaki overall and their colour was lighter and less greener than khaki used by PZL. IIRC the closest match here was FS30145.

Cheers

Michael

Yes, we (JWM and me too) know that, but having seen both the PZL P.11c and PWS-26 preserved in the Polish Aviation Museum both BEFORE and during the several restorations between 1985 and today I have to agree with JWM that your PZL.46 is (a little bit) too reddish and too light. This is the reason why JWM asked you about the lighting, because the uppersurface colour looks similar to the milky chocolate or a fresh chestnut, which would be more adequate for the PWS aircraft and not the PZL.

Basing on the preserved paint chips from the interior (thus not sun-dyed) of PWS-26 and P.11c I can say that there were two different shades of so-called Polish khaki of late 30s. The paint used by PZL was a dark field drab (close to the FS34088) and on the real a/c it was used with light bluish grey (~FS36628) undersurfaces. On the other side the PWS-built a/c were painted khaki overall and their colour was lighter and less greener than khaki used by PZL. IIRC the closest match here was FS30145.

Cheers

Michael

Yes it will be bit darker but it's 1/72 scale. The P.11 and PWS-26 was many times repainted with the wrong paints, now it`s not others then in the past. The undersurface in my kit is light bluish grey. In the fact the Polish khaki was only one color not two, not three... it's only a legend with more then one khaki from 1930 to 1939 and the some is with the blue grey.

HATAKA and PACTRA made two different khaki because the market will it so...because some of the people belief the legend.

Best regards.

• Like 1

HATAKA and PACTRA made two different khaki because the market will it so...because some of the people belief the legend.

Best regards.

Jerzy - I'm not talking about the paints used by the Germans in 1940, nor by the OHP in 1956 nor by the WSK Okecie in the 80's. I have been working in the Krakow museum for more than 20 years and I'm pretty sure that the paints I refer to are original Polish pre-war "khakis" - a lighter, brownish one by PWS and a darker, greenish one by PZL. Nevertheless both of them are more brown than green thus painting the Polish 1939 a/c in any shade of green is totally wrong.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

Here the link to the build: http://modelwork.pl/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=4878&start=45

Two mistakes are on this kit, the front part of canopy slides under the central part, the part over the second crow member was opened like in the PZL 23 Karas.

I started this vacuum kit ca. 1988 and it is still unfinished in one of my boxes :-(

There was another gallery with 50-60 very detailed construction photos, which are no longer up.

I have some 'saved' on a non booting up PC, I started using these as guide to detailing the kit, did wonders for my scratch building skills! I even bought some Part etch guns for it.

I did email the builder, but that's on yet another PC....

cheers

T

• 3 years later...