Revell Flower Class Corvette 1/144

Thanks Kev.

The next bit is as much an aide memoire - the dinghy lifelines are drilled 3mm apart and 0.1 Black copper wire is cut to 6mm lengths and inserted

DSCF7595_zpsatpihgay.jpg

They are then gently teased with a cotton bud to get the rounded effect

DSCF7596_zpsdint6og2.jpg

The 20mm Oerlikons paint up just Luvley:yahoo:  They are a sheer delight.

DSCF7597_zps9ynqe6ke.jpg

The D/C racks are fitted as are the throwers and davits - together with the twin Vickers 

DSCF7598_zpsshfzxyef.jpg

The 2 pounder has come out nicely - it will need some matt varnish

DSCF7599_zpsgsjt4ei8.jpg

And the Stack platform is finally railed - with the rigging having gone in first - it's busy

DSCF7600_zpsskwbwwc9.jpg

The anchor windlass is seated with some fine chain from the AFV spares box 

DSCF7601_zpsu1msf8dy.jpg

Now it's final deck rails and dinghy davits and at long last we are done!!!

Seasons Greetings to all:santa:

Rob

• Like 20

A true master piece coming together here Rob, I have to keep reminding myself that its 1/144.

First 1/144 corvette build on here and you've set the bar very high.

Good tip with the grablines

You must be starting to think what's next.......?

Kev

Thanks Fellas - I've really appreciated the support:)

On 12/22/2016 at 2:41 PM, moaning dolphin said:

Stunning work, it is looking well, err, stunning! Never knew you could get 0.1mm black wire, that's handy to know, where did you get it from if I may ask.

Keep up the great work

Bob

Bob - http://www.modellingtools.co.uk/loads-of-modelling-tools--12-c.asp or "Little Cars" as they've previously traded.  They have all sorts of things that you just know that if you get - you'll need at some time.  They attend a lot of shows and it's worth going through all their little boxes!

On 12/22/2016 at 3:39 PM, longshanks said:

You must be starting to think what's next.......?

Kev

Kev - I'm taking a leaf out of your book and returning to Armour for a quick "Soulfood" build.  Ether a Ukrainian BMP-2 or a Nagmachon:hmmm:

Rob

Thanks Kev, Sean and Gregg.

And finally the build is finished so this is the Close down thread

DSCF7656_zpskpm7pdlz.jpg

Revell 1/144 Flower Class Corvette - The kit s basically nice and builds without major problems.  However the parts have thick sprue gates and mould lines that need an awful lot of clean up.  No-one could accuse this offering of being sophisticated.  The railings are the major let down and IMHO are unusable.  Shame that Revell didn't include etched versions.  The choice of HMCS Snowberry does provide some issues when building a "typical" British (versus Canadian) corvette.  The Blog details the various changes needed to detail HMS Crocus though there was enormous variation amongst the different ships..  This build took nearly 6 months - and for this time investment, needs aftermarket sets, - the only ones currently available being the Eduard offerings.  More on them in a moment.  I hope other producers will add to the aftermarket goodies that this basic offering is crying out for

Eduard "HMCS Snowberry sets 1) Armament 2) Structure 3) Railings:  Are very pricey at nearly £30 per set.  Eduard have milked this a little.  The sets are basically fine but include many very fiddly bits that most (IMHO) won't use.  In addition, they are all tailored to HMCS Snowberry per se with no latitude for British versions.  The railings and deck ladders are essential and Eduard rather cynically put the deck ladders in the Structure set.  The least important IMHO is the armament set.  However to redress the balance of comment - using the components produces a nicely detailed final result, all be it at a considerable price

Shapeways – Mark HawkinsMark Hawkins - Shapeways  - who made up the radar 273 housing - necessary for a British Corvette such as HMS Crocus.  His Carley floats far surpass the Revell offerings.  Highly recommended

Archer Decals - N Scale Resin rivet starter set - add some really nice detail to the funnel and 4" gun.  First time I've used them and really liked them

Miracle maskMIracle Masks - were essential for the pennant numbers - Highly recommended

L'Arsenal 20mm Oerlikons  L'Arsenal - are a sheer delight - Highly recommended

Paints and weathering - AKAN paints available from Coastal models spray beautifully and to my mind portray British wartime Navy colours very accurately.  If you haven't tried them you really should.  Weathering was done with Abteilung oils, AK and Mig Ammo washes.

Rigging - Uschi "Standard" and "Fine" elastic rigging

Name plate Name It - Excellent value and always excellent service

This was a long and enjoyable build.  The Revell kit provides an adequate base to build any number of wartime corvettes.  I sincerely hope that we'll see more aftermarket kits become available.  I'm particularly looking forward to seeing/using the promised offering from Starling models in Collaboration with L'Arsenal.  If they are canny, they'll remove the need to buy the 3 separate Eduard etch offerings.  

Thanks for the welcome, the support and encouragement

Rob

Edited by robgizlu
Syntax
  • Like 21

• 5 months later...

I've found this after doing a little research of the kit as I'm thinking of moving from aircraft to ships to reignite my interest as planes are getting a little boring. 

I have to say, this is stunning

• Like 1

On 6/24/2017 at 7:12 PM, thepureness said:

I've found this after doing a little research of the kit as I'm thinking of moving from aircraft to ships to reignite my interest as planes are getting a little boring. 

I have to say, this is stunning

Thanks.  I know the feeling - I switched over from AFV modelling, it can get a little stale following the same path for too long. 

19 hours ago, Kris B said:

Excellent job, beautiful model.

Diolch Chris

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was very interested in the superb job you've done with this classic hero from the Battle of the Atlantic. I have to ask about the plasticard you used on the gun mount "garden wall". The card appears to have a lip on the upper edge, and I was wondering how you achieved that? I've got a 1/44 snowberry and want to convert it to an RN version, and youe build log has given me some excellnt pointers! Thanks Graham

• Thanks 1

Hi Graham

Thanks for your kind comments

The Gun platform "Wall" is just 0.3 or 0.5mm Plastruct strip with a surround at the top of Plastruct "Half round rod"  http://www.plastruct.co.uk/HalfrndrodT2.html using the 0.8 x 0.4mm size.  I use Tamiya thin cement to bond and then when dry run a No 11 Swann & Morton scalpel blade blunt side down over the surface to "weld" the seam.

HTH.  Please come back to me for anything else.  I'm planning a build for HMCS Eyebright in the next few months.

I hope you blog yours here.  I really thought we'd see more of these built

Regards

Rob

• Like 1